American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Military Care Packages - Mailed And On Their Way!

beckyrepp

Greetings everyone.

I'm excited to say that we received enough monetary and product donations to send care packages to 40 of our men and women serving overseas.

We found a platoon with 20 men and 20 women (deployed from Washington state) serving in Afghanistan. We sent individual gift bags with holiday treats and personal hygiene items requested by the platoon. They asked for simple items such as lip balm. We included other treats (gum, candy canes, hot cocoa mix, etc.) and other hygiene items (sanitary/antibacterial wipes, travel pack of kleenex, and tooth brushes). The platoon also asked for reading material - so we sent two boxes filled with books and copies of American Road magazine to help take their mind off of the war when they do get a few minutes of down time). Packages were mailed yesterday and today. We have some items remaining from what we purchased and what was donated. We plan to give these to an area shelter or the local VA hospital. I will make some calls on Monday to find these items a home.

I'm thrilled to say that two area elementary school classes participated in this effort. The children drew pictures and wrote letters. We included one in each gift bag. The children did a wonderful job. I think the letters and drawings will mean a great deal to the soldiers.

Many thanks to everyone who donated money, products, and time to this effort.

We included a letter with each box. The text of the letter is included below.

---------------------------

Greetings.

Enclosed, you will find gift bags – small tokens from us to indicate that we appreciate what you are doing. We wish each of you a safe holiday season. We are sending a total of twelve priority mail boxes to your platoon. There are forty gift bags (one for each person). Two of the boxes are filled with magazines and books to share.

I'm also thrilled to say that you will also find a letter in each gift bag from a child. Two elementary school classes participated in writing letters to include with these packages.

Entities and individuals that participated in this effort include:

American Road advertisers

An anonymous donation from one of our active American Road magazine on-line forum members

Pat & Jennifer Bremer

Bruce Clark

Mary Ellen Filbey

Rick Filbey

Brenna Filbey

Kaelyn Filbey

Denny Gibson

Bryan McGinnis

Joe & Cheri Miller

Steven Rastigue, DDS

David Reese

Tom and Pat Repp

Mrs. Amy Quick's second & third grade class - Joseph M. Carkenord Elementary in Chesterfield, MI

Mrs. Zaiglin’s first grade class - Joseph M. Carkenord Elementary in Chesterfield, MI

Staff at American Road magazine