American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Hemmings Motor News

Dave Reese

Last week I was heading up to my sister-in-laws birthday celebration in Keene NH. We traveled up the east side of the Hudson by taking two lanes from the intersection of I-78 and I-287. We headed up 206 to various versions of 9 through Hyde Park and Reinbeck along the eastern bank of the Hudson, then cut over state routes 9 and 7 to Bennington. We stopped at Hemmings Sunoco and Car Display around 4:30 pm on Friday. They have Full Serve Sunoco for less than any of the self serve stations in the area. The receptionist informed us that the Free Car Display closes at 3:00 pm but she would call upstairs. In less than five minutes Rick, on of the car maintenance team, was taking my wife Peg and me on a private four of the collection. He said he would take our photo sitting in any of the cars, but when I went to take my first photo, I discovered that my digital cameras memory cards were both still at home in the card reader. Ouch!! But we had a great time visiting the display and looking at the 20 some cars and the collection of automotive collectibles, and then went to the gift shop to purchase a few more toys for my collection.

We had a great time visiting the wonderful downtowns of Brattleboro VT and Keene NH on Saturday before the birthday celebration. And on Sunday we went up route 5 to route 103 to visit the Vermont Country Store. It was fun taste testing some of the items in the food section, and after the purchase of a Moxie T-shirt (my favorite soft drink) and a copy of the Park & Shop game (based on Allentown's Park & Shop system), we headed back down VT 5 to Brattleboro. On the way we stopped at Curtis' Ribs in Putney. Curtis was working the grill next to the two blue school buses which serve as his base of operations. Peg and I each had chicken and roasted corn on the cob. While I opted for the baked potato, Peg thoroughly enjoyed her smashed yams.

On our return to PA on Monday, I stopped back at Hemmings for a few photo ops with a newly purchased CompactFlash card in my camera. We also visited the Bennington Pottery outlet while heading back east on state route 7, and later picked up 9W down the western side of the Hudson. We enjoyed a cute little deli for lunch in Saugerties. Later we finished our jaunt over US 6 and 209 till we hit state 33 back to home. A fun weekend jaunt with very few limited access miles. It was so relaxing and entertaining.

Now I need to check the new photo card to see if it worked. There may be a few more photos in my gallery soon.