American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Michigan Road State Historic Byway Project

mobilene

For those of you following along, the Michigan Road Historic Byway project has solidified support in northern Indiana and has made its first steps into southern Indiana to build support. We had meetings last week with interested parties in Greensburg and Madison. There's some good enthusiasm for the project and willingness to participate, so we're pretty encouraged. We still hope to submit the byway application to INDOT next summer.

One disappointing bit from my drive home from Madison. Most of what I believe was an old bypassed alignment of the MR appears recently to have been removed in a widening of State Road 44, which runs parallel to it. Thankfully, I photographed the road last summer before construction began.

2519369137_fcd71c2eca.jpg

A short bit of the old alignment remains; I'm pretty sure it's this part (below). But the part removed was the most interesting part because of its roll -- original terrain.

2519371203_a2fdc00061.jpg