American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

South Puget Sound Ferry Passes Charles Manson "home."

A couple of weeks ago we had a discussion of auto ferries here that inspired the short trip below.

Twenty five years ago Sheila and I used to dine at E R Rogers, a lovely restaurant overlooking the ferry landing at Steilacoom for the ferry to Anderson Island. The restaurant is gone now, but the ferry landing and ferry still exist, a bit updated but not spoiled.

We decided a couple of weeks ago to demonstrate the charm of the southern most ferry on the Puget Sound. The photos below were taken on the ride, and the movie HERE tells the whole tale.

While on the ferry, I talked for a few minutes with a young man, Billy by name, who lives on Anderson Island. The island can only be reached by boat, and has just one small general store/ café combination to serve residents.

Billy has a great life. He works in construction on the island, but during his lunch time he often takes the ferry to the mainland at Steilacoom for banking, etc. On a calm day he may take his own boat from the Island to Gig Harbor, but that takes a couple of hours.

The short shot in the movie of lots of buildings is of the one time federal prison at McNeil Island. The most notable inmates were Robert Stroud, known as “The Bird Man of Alcatraz”; Roy Gardner, a notorious train robber; Alvin Karpis, gangster in league with the “Ma Barker Gang”; Mickey Cohen, called by Time Magazine “the undisputed boss of Los Angeles gangdom”; Charles Manson, responsible for the Sharon Tate murders; and Dave Beck, Seattle labor leader.

ARKIsland.jpg

Landing at Ketron Island

ARAnderson.jpg

Landing at Anderson Island

ARFerryLife.jpg

On Board

ARFerryPiers.jpg

Piers at Anderson Island

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done and a very effective charm demonstrator. There seems to be something worth looking at in that area no matter which way you turn. I assume that's the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in the background of the panning shot of the boat. An impressive structure that I've crossed a few times.

Nicely done and a very effective charm demonstrator. There seems to be something worth looking at in that area no matter which way you turn. I assume that's the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in the background of the panning shot of the boat. An impressive structure that I've crossed a few times.

Denny,

If its anything I exude, its charm….or were you referring to the ferry boat scenes?

Thanks for the comeback! I was inspired by your comment about small ferry boats.

“Billy” told me we have one cattle boat style ferry with the open deck and side room for the “captain” left running somewhere between islands around here, but we haven’t taken it in our 25 years on the Sound. No rush….what is close to home isn’t travel….right?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!