American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Dirty Jobs

eyerobic

Dirty Jobs

TDC-HD - Tue, 11/10, 7:00 PM 1 hr

(check your local listings)

"Bridge Painter"Repeat, 8/07/2007, Reality, Documentary

Mike and the crew stop at the 5-mile-long Mackinac Bridge in Michigan to film the refurbishing project to prepare the bridge for its 50th birthday. The crew dons hard hats to paint the bridge's cables, which are more than 500 feet above the water.

Anyone know "Stan the Man"?

... Chris

Dirty Jobs

TDC-HD - Tue, 11/10, 7:00 PM 1 hr

(check your local listings)

"Bridge Painter"Repeat, 8/07/2007, Reality, Documentary

Mike and the crew stop at the 5-mile-long Mackinac Bridge in Michigan to film the refurbishing project to prepare the bridge for its 50th birthday. The crew dons hard hats to paint the bridge's cables, which are more than 500 feet above the water.

Anyone know "Stan the Man"?

... Chris

Chris

I caught the last 15 minutes of painting, with a mitt instead of a brush. Some view!

Changing cable lights was even better! Don't look down!!!!

I bet if the design engineer had to change the bulbs, he would have designed a socket with 10 back up lamps such that a new one would be activated when one burned out.

Dave

Keep the show on the Road!

Chris

I caught the last 15 minutes of painting, with a mitt instead of a brush. Some view!

Changing cable lights was even better! Don't look down!!!!

I bet if the design engineer had to change the bulbs, he would have designed a socket with 10 back up lamps such that a new one would be activated when one burned out.

Dave

Keep the show on the Road!

Hi Dave,

The marker lights should be CFL's or LED's these days. Not that giant fish-bowl!

Mike used a big paint brush when he had to climb down through a series of man-holes to paint the inside and very bottom of one of the towers .... guess what color!

Tough gig!

Hi Dave,

The marker lights should be CFL's or LED's these days. Not that giant fish-bowl!

Mike used a big paint brush when he had to climb down through a series of man-holes to paint the inside and very bottom of one of the towers .... guess what color!

Tough gig!

Chris,

Lets see...I guess green! And the LEDs are a much better idea.

I think Mike was truly uneasy....I would have passed out.

Thanks for the tip. It is a beautiful bridge, especially from the top of a tower.

Dave

keep the Show on the Road!

I got to go to the top of one of the towers of the George Washington Bridge about 15 years ago. Really cool views, but walking around on the open metal grates 300 feet above I-95 was not for those afraid of heights. Honestly, even the public sidewalk is really high at over 200 feet above the river. I do get nervous at those kinds of heights, but I still love walking across big bridges. I've walked the US 2 bridge between Superior and Duluth, a bunch of the bridges between Cincinnati and Kentucky, the National Road Bridge over the Ohio River, the Brooklyn Bridge, GW Bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge (US 6 over the Hudson), Mid-Hudson Bridge (US 44), and the new Walkway Over the Hudson (212 feet above the river). The views are always incredible.