American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

It's so sad to find out that noted Route 66 artist Bob Waldemire will not be with us much longer. He is back in Springfield, Illinois, and living in his converted school bus as his last days go by.

It sounds like a lot of fans are stopping by tto visit. Liz and I are thinking of visiting next week.

The Chicago Tribune had an article on him today and the web edition had an excellent video of him in his bus talking about his life.

You can view both at

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-dyi...0,7220519.story

Anyone have memories of Bob?

It's so sad to find out that noted Route 66 artist Bob Waldemire will not be with us much longer. He is back in Springfield, Illinois, and living in his converted school bus as his last days go by.

It sounds like a lot of fans are stopping by tto visit. Liz and I are thinking of visiting next week.

The Chicago Tribune had an article on him today and the web edition had an excellent video of him in his bus talking about his life.

You can view both at

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-dyi...0,7220519.story

Anyone have memories of Bob?

I remember meeting Bob when he lived in Hackberry. Thankfully, we had the opportunity to meet Bob at Route 66 events, and during other Route 66 travels over the years. Bob is one of the finest individuals we've had the privilege to meet. He will be sorely missed. May his final days be filled with love.

• 3 weeks later...

I did get to the show and have just a few pictures here. Instead of the brief appearance that most expected, Bob was there for the entire show though not without breaks. An amazing guy.

I headed down Route 66 the next day so some may want to look at that part of the journal, too.

• 3 months later...

My favorite Bob meeting would be the 1st. It was 11/28/2007 at the Cozy Dog. I had just begun collectin postmarks on my IL route 66 map that day and was going to try and get Sue Waldmire's autograph on it. I couldn't believe it when I saw Bob's U-Haul in the parking lot and Bob walking into the building. Needless to say I was awestruck at my luck. He was seated at a 2 person table and I cautiously asked if I could speak with him. Of course, he smiled & his eyes twinkled when he said "Yes". I talked for a bit, shared some vinegar fries, and he graciously signed my map. I had taken a photo of Bob as he painted the mural on the U Haul and purchased the 60 card set of postcards. After that day I was hooked on Route 66 and Bob Waldmire's artwork.