American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Sunshine Skyway Bridge In Tampa Fl.

Philip

This is undoubtedly the tallest bridge I have ever been over.

anyone else seen any that are taller??

Phil

Hi Phil,

I've been on the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan which has a clearance of 199 ft between the roadway and the water. It looks like the Sunshine Skyway's clearance is 193 ft. So, 6 ft higher above the water--if that counts. I admit, that I personally don't like crossing it. I love the bridge, its really beautiful. I'm just not fond of heights!

Becky

Phil,

First a big WELCOME!

I never experienced vertigo until I took the Coronado Bridge between San Diego and Coronado Island. Its low rails gave me the illusion that if I wasn’t careful I would be sailing off into space. It actually made me a little dizzy. It is 200 ft above the water.

The Golden Gate is 220 ft above the water, but its size and sidewalks help prevent vertigo.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hey, everyone, don't forget about the Royal Gorge bridge in Colorado. I know it's more of a tourist trap, er, attraction than a bridge that's necessary to get from point 'A' to point 'B', but still, that is one HIGH bridge!

As far as bridges that are necessary to go from 'A' to 'B', I think (IIRC) that West Virginia's New River Gorge bridge (US 19 north of Oak Hill--where Hank Williams died) has the longest drop to the river of any in the USA.

Edited by mga707

Hey, everyone, don't forget about the Royal Gorge bridge in Colorado. I know it's more of a tourist trap, er, attraction than a bridge that's necessary to get from point 'A' to point 'B', but still, that is one HIGH bridge!

As far as bridges that are necessary to go from 'A' to 'B', I think (IIRC) that West Virginia's New River Gorge bridge (US 19 north of Oak Hill--where Hank Williams died) has the longest drop to the river of any in the USA.

I prefer to think of it as "height above the river" rather than "drop to the river!" :)

Dave

Keep teh Show on the Road!

I always had the Mackinac Bridge as my #1 "Death Bridge" (i.e....this bridge is gonna somehow kill me when I drive over it) until a few years ago when we were out east visiting Jennifer's family in Connecticut. We drove up to Newport, RI to check out some of the old mansions up there and to get to Newport, you have cross the Claiborne Pell Bridge. It's not as long as the Mackinac (about 2 miles from approach to approach), but the elevation at the center span to the water is a whopping 206 feet! So as you may guess, with a bridge that short and getting that high, you're constantly climbing the thing. Didn't care for that bridge one iota!

img12.gif

I always had the Mackinac Bridge as my #1 "Death Bridge" (i.e....this bridge is gonna somehow kill me when I drive over it) until a few years ago when we were out east visiting Jennifer's family in Connecticut. We drove up to Newport, RI to check out some of the old mansions up there and to get to Newport, you have cross the Claiborne Pell Bridge. It's not as long as the Mackinac (about 2 miles from approach to approach), but the elevation at the center span to the water is a whopping 206 feet! So as you may guess, with a bridge that short and getting that high, you're constantly climbing the thing. Didn't care for that bridge one iota!

img12.gif

Yah, it even looks "scary."

Dave

keep teh Show on the Road!

I need to do the Royal Gorge Bridge just to say I've been on it.

Dave

Keep teh Show on the Road!