American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Tell Us About Your Favorite Autumn Drives

beckyrepp

There are so many great Autumn drives. Some of my favorite drives for fall colors include:

US 2 (East of the Mississippi at this time of year)

Blue Ridge Parkway

Trail of the Lonesome Pine (W. Va., Va., Tenn., NC)

Bucktail Trail (Pennsylvania)

Tell us about your favorite Fall drives!

Becky

One of my favorites is the North Cascades Highway. It is especially impressive if the peaks have a dusting of new snow to highlight the vivid yellow mountainsides of larch. In fact almost any crossing of the Cascades between Crater Lake and the Canadian border is spectacular in the fall. The passes in Oregon add more of the brilliant reds of the vine maple.

Even the ride to the grocery store yesterday was a riot of reds and yellows! And does the ride up my driveway count?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

When I lived "down" Maine, as they say, one of our favorite drives, when the leaves turned, was to take Route 99 out of Kennebunk, up thru Acton to Sanbornville, NH. From there we'd drive north on Route 16 to Conway, then west on Route 112 (the Kankamagus Highway) thru the White Mountain National Forest which brought us into Lincoln on U S 3. There was always time for a stop at the famous Clarks Trading Post - back then the attraction was pretty much the trained bears (an excellent show they put on and very informative about the bears).

Sometimes we'd go check on the Old Man of the Mountain, but sadly he fell off his perch overlooking Echo Lake back in 2003.

Usually we'd round out the day driving south on U S 3 to U S 11 then east back to Rochester and U S 202 back to 109 in Sanford and home again.

Nice thing about that area is there are so many different alternatives to choose from. For example you can go north from Lincoln on U S 3, or from Conway on 16, for example and find much to see and enjoy.

It was a long day's travel, but the scenery never ceased to amaze and make the journey interesting. And so many things to see and do along the way.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

• 2 months later...

I'd echo the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I enjoy it even better in the Spring when the rhododendrons are in bloom. For autumn foliage, instead of the ridgelines, I prefer the foothills drives where the colors are more consistent (if you time it right).

I can't pick a favorite, because there are so many more to discover. If the weather is fair, there's no such thing as a bad one, is there?