American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 60 East Of Phoenix

usroadman

I received an e-mail from "Patricia" asking about US 60 east of Phoenix. I've never driven it (other than a couple miles of the freeway in Phoenix), but I'm sure some folks on the forum have, so I was going to send her here. Below is the e-mail she sent:

Hello there

Very fortunately, I found your website on your cross country trips via US Highways.

I am traveling from CA back to NY and am looking at Route 60 East of Phoenix through the Rockies as

part of my trip. Since I only have one week to travel back, I can only do a portion of the trip off the beaten path.

Have you any info on Route 60? Just curious since you have covered so many others.

My trip from NY to CA was taken mainly on interstates, I-90 to I-80, 76 to Denver and then I-70 was the most

fantastic and picturesque trip ever through the CO Rockies and Utah. I want to go back to CO and UT to see more.

Absolutely incredible.

2007 my daughter and I drove part of Route 40 (old 66) from Ny to CA. Albuqurque at sunset was the highlight of that trip.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

"Nana P"

Any info y'all might be able to provide her would be welcome. Thanks.

I've only been through there once but recall US-60 through Salt River Canyon as one of the most scenic drives in my experience.The towns of Globe and Show Low add some history, too. Springerville has National Old Trails Road connections and holds Arizona's Madonna of the Trail monument. If you can work in this stretch of US-60, I say do it. It's gorgeous. My six year old drive over this section is covered here.

I've only been through there once but recall US-60 through Salt River Canyon as one of the most scenic drives in my experience.The towns of Globe and Show Low add some history, too. Springerville has National Old Trails Road connections and holds Arizona's Madonna of the Trail monument. If you can work in this stretch of US-60, I say do it. It's gorgeous. My six year old drive over this section is covered here.

Denny,

That is a great report! I don't recall seeing it before, but then it almost falls into the oldies but goodies category. I wish more of us, myself included, took the time to document their travels as well as you do. It would be a big advantage for those looking for routes to follow.

Thanks!!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Ditto as to the Salt River Canyon stretch of 60 between Globe and Show Low as being a 'must drive'. The stretch just west of that segment between Superior and the Miami/Globe area is no slouch either.

The New Mexico portion of 60 can't match either of the two Arizona portions above for white-knuckle mountain curve thrills, but the part west of Socorro (Catron County) is scenic. Don't miss the Very Large Array/multiple radio telescope site between Pie Town (is that a cool town name or what?) and Socorro.

East of Socorro (and the Rio Grande), two of the three Spanish Colonial missions (Abo and Quarai) that make up Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument sit just off of 60 (the third, and largest, Gran Quivira, is a bit farther south). Well worth a visit.

• 1 year later...

I've only been through there once but recall US-60 through Salt River Canyon as one of the most scenic drives in my experience.The towns of Globe and Show Low add some history, too. Springerville has National Old Trails Road connections and holds Arizona's Madonna of the Trail monument. If you can work in this stretch of US-60, I say do it. It's gorgeous. My six year old drive over this section is covered <a href="http://www.dennygibson.com/ariz092003/day01/index.htm" target="_blank">here</a>.

Ah, that Salt River Canyon, very scenic indeed.