American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Yt Route Restoration In Minneapolis, Mn

I have no effective date nor article links handy, but I have received word via the grapevines that the City of Minneapolis is restoring Hennepin Ave in downtown Minneapolis from one-way northbound back to two-way traffic. No longer will those following the YT westbound through downtown Minneapolis have to make that detour via southwestbound 1st Ave N (also being restored to two-way traffic) from Washington St, along with that tricky-to-follow crossover back to Hennepin at 12th St S.

:D

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I have no effective date nor article links handy, but I have received word via the grapevines that the City of Minneapolis is restoring Hennepin Ave in downtown Minneapolis from one-way northbound back to two-way traffic. No longer will those following the YT westbound through downtown Minneapolis have to make that detour via southwestbound 1st Ave N (also being restored to two-way traffic) from Washington St, along with that tricky-to-follow crossover back to Hennepin at 12th St S.

:D

Mike

Mike,

This is good news. Please continue to keep us posted.

Best,

I've found a couple of items on this:

Hennepin goes two-way on Saturday, 2009-10-09:

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/news/20090...tConversion.asp

Also:

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/hennepinfirst/

The City of Minneapolis is also developing plans for redoing Washington Ave, including the four-block section that was the YT (between Hennepin and 3rd S), perhaps converting it from a three-lanes each way urban arterial to a two-lanes each way landscaped boulevard. This might be the best time to try to work with the city to include a YT theme in that street's final design.

Mike