American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

1938 Footage, Us 99 Between Eugene And Junction City Oregon

mobilene

Check this out! Motorcycle stunt riders on US 99 in Oregon. The riding's fine, but what's most interesting to me is seeing the old road!

Jim,

I am surprised that there was so little traffic in 1938. Old 99 had an east and west version, and this was the west alignment. It is too bad there are no evident landmarks. Much of that roadside is still farmland. Most of the first half seems to be done in the same stretch of road.

I think we should scour You Tube for old roadside images. I put up some only as old as my home movies (1960’s) and they get a fair amount of interest.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Fast fwd 70 years: so much traffic today somebody would have been killed; somebody in a car would (ooops) accidently run at least one biker off the road; at least 30 drivers would be on cell phones calling 911; if no helmets, as shown then, probably get that added to the tickets. Ain't progress fun!!! :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN