American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Milton-madison (ky-in) Bridge Replacement

mobilene

If you've ever driven the Milton-Madison bridge on US 421 between Kentucky and Indiana, you know it's narrow and very creaky. Looks like forces are coming together to tear the trusses and the deck off the piers and build a new deck, twice as wide. Kentucky apparently owns the bridge, and is applying for Federal stimulus money to get the job done.

A news story about it:

http://madisoncourier.com/main.asp?Section...ArticleID=52377

An entry from a blog I follow with a local reaction, plus a neat photo of the bridge:

http://sindianavisions.wordpress.com/2009/...roubled-waters/

I'd venture to say this won't be a good thing for Madison, short term. I'd be interested to know how much of their commerce comes from across the river. And I'm sure there are some folks who earn a living in Madison but reside in Kentucky. The nearest bridge is 25 miles to the east in Markland, and you have to go 40-plus miles west to Louisville for the nearest bridge in that direction. I'd be a little concerned about the piers, as the blogger states, but I figure that's why the engineers get paid the big bucks. Should be interesting. Would've been nice to keep the old gal there, though.