American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Way Up North

Ray

Is Old Samish Way in Bellingham the former US99? I'm guessing it is, as I remember having driven on an old 2-lane stretch between what is now the Samish Exit #252 on I-5, and Alger, on the northern fringe of Skagit County. This was in the spring of 1966 and the Interstate wasn't done yet. I know the original routing was via Chuckanut Drive, but that was way back. Right now I'm interested in Old 99. My daughter is attending college in B'ham and my wife and I make frequent runs up that direction. Any info would be appreciated.

Ray

Is Old Samish Way in Bellingham the former US99? I'm guessing it is, as I remember having driven on an old 2-lane stretch between what is now the Samish Exit #252 on I-5, and Alger, on the northern fringe of Skagit County. This was in the spring of 1966 and the Interstate wasn't done yet. I know the original routing was via Chuckanut Drive, but that was way back. Right now I'm interested in Old 99. My daughter is attending college in B'ham and my wife and I make frequent runs up that direction. Any info would be appreciated.

Ray

Hi Stranger...long time no see...welcome back!

I think your memory is correct, but to be certain try THIS "Old US99 through Bellingham" site. It looks made to order for your question.

(If you get a banner ad for LinkBucks or BuckLinks at the top, it isn't my doing, nor that of the site I'm suggesting you visit.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks, Dave. I read the article, and it answered all my immediate questions.

My wife and daughter spent this past Saturday walking around Lake Padden, and it seemed logical that Old Samish was the road I'd driven on way back when. By the time I entered Western in 1967, I-5 was complete through all of Whatcom County.

One of the points made in the article referred to the high per capita of exits along I-5 through Bellingham. Within a few hundred yards of the northbound Samish onramp lies the Lakeway Drive exit. The on/off ramps keep coming like that until just short of Ferndale. For a town of roughly 80,000 inhabitants, the congestion is incredible.

I hadn't given any thought at all to the path of Old 99 north of Samish. The route described in the article makes sense, though. It eventually works its way through the business district along Holly and then past the government buildings off Dupont, crosses Whatcom Creek, and eventually exits via Northwest Blvd.

Alternate 99, SR 11 (Chuckanut Drive) is a wonderful alternative to I-5, but it isn't for the faint of heart. Lots of twists and turns, dropoffs, and narrow bridges. Wonderful views, unless you're the driver. There are a couple of great little oyster grills and stands along the way, as well as Chuckanut Manor near the community of Bow at the south end of the cliff road.

Dave, it's nice to hear from you again, as well. I've been here and there, doing this and that. Managed to get down to Southern California last month where my son drove me along Old 99 through Newhall and San Fernando. I don't drive in LA!

Thanks again,

Ray