American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

10. Historic 1917 Road Sign Discovered On Monumental Highway

After 92 years Chris and Linda Curley have rediscovered the MONUMENTAL HIGHWAY carving made by Dolph Andrus of the Motor Men of 1917. They set out yesterday, and using Linda’s familiarity with the area and Dolph’s log, they relocated the histrionic sign!

Chris and Linda made the adventure a family event, with their two sons and daughter. They didn’t have a GPS with them, so we don’t have their exact location yet, but they plan another expedition in the next few days, and hope to get the exact coordinates then.

Chris describes the site as in a wash with dense sagebrush about six miles south of Red Lake/ Tonalea and east of Middle Mesa. I have added Middle Mesa to my earlier map and the sites seem to “match up,” but we await his report on the actual coordinates.

ARCarving002.jpg

If the actual site and the log match with the map it will also lend credibility to both the log, and our use of the log in describing the route of the Motor Men of 1917.

Kudos to Chris and Linda, and family! The photos below were provided by Chris, including one of him at the carving..

ARCarving1.jpg

ARCarving2.JPG

ARCarving3ChrisCurley.JPG

There are still some mysteries to be solved. A date in August 1917 near the carving doesn’t match the dates of the trip in May…….

More to follow as we hear from Chris and Linda.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

As Berwyn Andrus says in another thread, "There are so many players in the game of 'MONUMENTAL HIGHWAY'”. Dave, I know that you'd have liked to be the one who photographed the carving for the first time this century but I also know just how elusive an actual expedition was in real life. It took Dolph's log, Berwyn's cooperation and encouragement, and your analysis to get the Curleys there and it's not over yet. It's extremely cool that the marker has been located and that it was accomplished by a family is kind of cool, too. The experience just might lead to one or more of the younger Curleys doing some major exploring decades from now. Over the last year, I've learned a lot about some pioneers and some pioneering that I'd never heard of and I'm looking forward to the next play in the game of 'MONUMENTAL HIGHWAY'. Well done, everyone.

As Berwyn Andrus says in another thread, "There are so many players in the game of 'MONUMENTAL HIGHWAY'”. Dave, I know that you'd have liked to be the one who photographed the carving for the first time this century but I also know just how elusive an actual expedition was in real life. It took Dolph's log, Berwyn's cooperation and encouragement, and your analysis to get the Curleys there and it's not over yet. It's extremely cool that the marker has been located and that it was accomplished by a family is kind of cool, too. The experience just might lead to one or more of the younger Curleys doing some major exploring decades from now. Over the last year, I've learned a lot about some pioneers and some pioneering that I'd never heard of and I'm looking forward to the next play in the game of 'MONUMENTAL HIGHWAY'. Well done, everyone.

Thanks Denny! Well said! You are wise beyond your years…..well considering your age, maybe not beyond….. ;):P:D

I can not imagine better discoverers than Chris and Linda and their family. By the description Chris gave me this was on a family outing, and one they will always share.

I am looking forward to the next chapter when they go out to spot the road. Maybe they will get sufficiently interested to untangle some of the mysteries of the route beyond the Red Lake area!!!

Dave

Hello this is Chris

I want to thank everyone that has been involved in the rediscovery of "Monumental Highway." We live in the Tonalea area where we found the site once again. It was an adventure my family will never forget, I was able to photograph more of the area which I will post later, we still need to locate the old ruin mentioned in the log. We would need to take horseback as the area is very dense in brush.

I mentioned this discovery to some of our family members and they said they knew where it was or recollected seeing it sometime back. We also mentioned that it was carved over 92 years ago, it think it will take another 90 years to erase most of the writing, looks it wore pretty good almost a century.

Again thank you for including our family in the venture of discovery, introducing our young ones to exploration and they want to find other things as well. The other day, we hike near the Black Mesa and found old writings and art from "the old ones"/ I thought that was very neat to see.

the Curleys

Hello this is Chris

I want to thank everyone that has been involved in the rediscovery of "Monumental Highway." We live in the Tonalea area where we found the site once again. It was an adventure my family will never forget, I was able to photograph more of the area which I will post later, we still need to locate the old ruin mentioned in the log. We would need to take horseback as the area is very dense in brush.

I mentioned this discovery to some of our family members and they said they knew where it was or recollected seeing it sometime back. We also mentioned that it was carved over 92 years ago, it think it will take another 90 years to erase most of the writing, looks it wore pretty good almost a century.

Again thank you for including our family in the venture of discovery, introducing our young ones to exploration and they want to find other things as well. The other day, we hike near the Black Mesa and found old writings and art from "the old ones"/ I thought that was very neat to see.

the Curleys

Chris and Linda, and family,

We are delighted at your discovery. Without you and your family, and your willingness to share, we would all be the poorer. Your and Linda’s familiarity with the region made the discovery possible. I’m sure Dolph would have been pleased and proud!

Keep us all in the loop. We await further news and photos!

I hope I will have the privilege to meet you and Linda when I find the opportunity to get to the Southwest.

Dave

Hello this is Chris

the Curleys

Welcome to the forum, Chris, and thanks for the pictures of the carving. Hope your search for the old ruin is successful. It sounds like you have an interesting neighborhood to explore and that the next generation is already learning just how much fun that can be.

Thank you and we have not yet gone out to search for the old ruin but when we do we will take photos of the area and send them to you. It has rained out here the summer monsoons has picked up so the roads and trails are muddy. That clay out there is very sticky.

But we were able to take another visit out to the carving and take a family photo which i will post.

Again thanks

post-10357-1248886009_thumb.jpg

Thank you and we have not yet gone out to search for the old ruin but when we do we will take photos of the area and send them to you. It has rained out here the summer monsoons has picked up so the roads and trails are muddy. That clay out there is very sticky.

But we were able to take another visit out to the carving and take a family photo which i will post.

Again thanks

Chris,

Thanks for the latest photo....it is the best of all!!! What a beautiful (and handsome) family!

And you look great in the headband! What is one called in Navajo?

Do you have an interest in tracking some of the other sites Dolph mentions? For example, the long abandoned Oljeta trading post, or the Douglas Oil Camp? Of course you are now on the trail of the unidentified ruin, which will be great to locate. Boy, you and the family have a wealth of great outings in the offing!!

We greatly appreciate you sharing!!

Dave

• 4 months later...

At 12:40 pm on November 19, 2009 I stood at the carving my Dad, Dolph Andrus, made in 1917, and my wife recorded the moment. We took a reading with a Garmin Nuvi500 GPS: N36.24057 W110.97853 Elevation 5271 ft. I think this is within 100 yards of the Road Scholar’s prediction. As my Dad recorded, it is about six miles south of the Red Lake Trading Post, but I did not do the careful log as he did. My emotions ran away with me. The road south from the trading post is passable with a passenger car for about 3 or 4 miles. At that point Chris and Linda Curley had us get into their truck for the rest of the distance. It is about a 100 yard walk to the carving. I think anyone with a GPS could drive and/or walk to the site, depending on the vehicle and weather. It is near the border of the Hopi and Navajo Indian Reservations.

We drove back to St. George by way of Tuba City, Navajo Bridge (Lee’s Ferry for by Dad), Jacob Lake, Fredonia and Hurricane. My Dad made essentially that same trip in 1916 with a Dave Rust pack trip (See “Dave Rust: A Life in the Canyons” by Frederick H. Swanson, page 117), which allowed him to scout out the route for the Maxwell adventure with Dr. Hopkins the next year. Mother’s Uncle Kumen Jones had taken essentially the same route in 1869 with the Exploration Party in advance of the Hole in the Rock expedition to Bluff. (See “Hole in the Rock” by David E. Miller, Chapter `11). The scenery is much the same, but the road certainly has changed.

This has been quite a ride. Thanks to Dave, the Road Scholar, and to the Curley Family for helping me finally get to stand in front of this carving. Hope others on this Forum will be able to make the visit in person, as you have expressed so much interest in following the old log. Thanks to all. Berwyn

PS: Thought I was posting the picture, but it does not show. Will try that later, and maybe Chris will post some he took of the event

Great news! Congratulations. I can't even imagine the thrill of standing where your father once stood.

I hope to get there someday but there's no current plan or prediction. A guess is that I'd do it as a branch to a drive up 89 from Flagstaff. Are there any particular caveats associated with it being on the reservation?

At 12:40 pm on November 19, 2009 I stood at the carving my Dad, Dolph Andrus, made in 1917, and my wife recorded the moment. We took a reading with a Garmin Nuvi500 GPS: N36.24057 W110.97853 Elevation 5271 ft. I think this is within 100 yards of the Road Scholar’s prediction. As my Dad recorded, it is about six miles south of the Red Lake Trading Post, but I did not do the careful log as he did. My emotions ran away with me. The road south from the trading post is passable with a passenger car for about 3 or 4 miles. At that point Chris and Linda Curley had us get into their truck for the rest of the distance. It is about a 100 yard walk to the carving. I think anyone with a GPS could drive and/or walk to the site, depending on the vehicle and weather. It is near the border of the Hopi and Navajo Indian Reservations.

We drove back to St. George by way of Tuba City, Navajo Bridge (Lee’s Ferry for by Dad), Jacob Lake, Fredonia and Hurricane. My Dad made essentially that same trip in 1916 with a Dave Rust pack trip (See “Dave Rust: A Life in the Canyons” by Frederick H. Swanson, page 117), which allowed him to scout out the route for the Maxwell adventure with Dr. Hopkins the next year. Mother’s Uncle Kumen Jones had taken essentially the same route in 1869 with the Exploration Party in advance of the Hole in the Rock expedition to Bluff. (See “Hole in the Rock” by David E. Miller, Chapter `11). The scenery is much the same, but the road certainly has changed.

This has been quite a ride. Thanks to Dave, the Road Scholar, and to the Curley Family for helping me finally get to stand in front of this carving. Hope others on this Forum will be able to make the visit in person, as you have expressed so much interest in following the old log. Thanks to all. Berwyn

PS: Thought I was posting the picture, but it does not show. Will try that later, and maybe Chris will post some he took of the event

Berwyn and I have already shared his report, but I have to add that it has been a privilege and a special gift that I have been able to share in his family’s rediscovery of both the road and the adventure of 1917. The story will undoubtedly get broader attention when someone with a writer’s talent and the right connections discovers it here. But I’m confident that for Berwyn and his family, sharing the experience with his father is what is important.

My personal adventure is still only a work in progress. I want to map the rest of the trip, as I did the first part, and I want to start in Bluff and follow the Motormen of 1917 on the full trip, perhaps this spring. I’ll see if I can beat Denny to the punch, as they say!

It has been a great trip already, and much is yet to come. And Berwyn, Chris, and Linda, we’ll look forward to the photos!!

Ye old Road Scholar….Dave

Are there any particular caveats associated with it being on the reservation?

There are no problems that I could determine. Just stay on roads, don't tear down fences, and use all normal courtesy. You will be following the Questar Gas Pipeline most of the way. The Red Lake Trading Post has not changed much, except there did not seem to be very much Indian materials for sale. Have a safe trip. Berwyn

• 4 weeks later...

I would just like to thank this Forum and all who have shared in the location of the Monumental Highway Carving. I would have never found it without this forum. It has been quite the experience. For those who thought the carving was a "Holy Grail," I will give you another challenge. Following the Monumental Highway run, Dad was involved in the adventure of the Natural Bridges. A writer for the Arrowhead Touring Bureau (possible fore runner of the AAA), F. V. Owen wrote some glowing articles in the Salt Lake Telegram in 1917, about Dad and the area. There were several reels of 35mm movie film, plus still photos of the area. I have a couple of single clips of the film and am looking for the reels. Maybe some of this forum are acquainted with F. V. Owen's writings. Here are a couple of links to the articles:

http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?...p;CISOPTR=77975

http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?...;CISOPTR=104349

Dolph Andrus would have been a great member of this forum. He never lost his love of the 'back roads" and preferred US6 and 50 to I15. Thanks to all of you for a great year. Berwyn Andrus

I would just like to thank this Forum and all who have shared in the location of the Monumental Highway Carving. I would have never found it without this forum. It has been quite the experience. For those who thought the carving was a "Holy Grail," I will give you another challenge. Following the Monumental Highway run, Dad was involved in the adventure of the Natural Bridges. A writer for the Arrowhead Touring Bureau (possible fore runner of the AAA), F. V. Owen wrote some glowing articles in the Salt Lake Telegram in 1917, about Dad and the area. There were several reels of 35mm movie film, plus still photos of the area. I have a couple of single clips of the film and am looking for the reels. Maybe some of this forum are acquainted with F. V. Owen's writings. Here are a couple of links to the articles:

http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?...p;CISOPTR=77975

http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?...;CISOPTR=104349

Dolph Andrus would have been a great member of this forum. He never lost his love of the 'back roads" and preferred US6 and 50 to I15. Thanks to all of you for a great year. Berwyn Andrus

Berwyn,

I think all of us who enjoyed your father’s adventures would say thanks to you. It was our pleasure!

As for me, I’m still anticipating a trip this spring along the whole route from Bluff to the Arrowhead.

Dave