American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Great American Road Trip

Did anyone catch the Great American Road Trip last night (Tuesday) on NBC?? The concept is like the Amazing Race, only this one takes place on Route 66. Six families start out from Chicago, each in their own RV, supplied by an RV rental company. The idea, like the Amazing Race, is to get from Chicago to California with contests among the families along the way.

In the first episode the families drove from Chicago to Madison, Illinois with a stop in Springfield for the 1st contest, then on to St. Louis where the 3 losers of the 1st contest had to try to win another contest, with one family being eliminated and going home.

Lots of nice Route 66 footage along the way, tho they are doing it the easy way by staying on the interstates.

In a word the show's hilarious.

Future episodes are on NBC, Tuesday night at 9pm EDST.

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Did anyone catch the Great American Road Trip last night (Tuesday) on NBC?? The concept is like the Amazing Race, only this one takes place on Route 66. Six families start out from Chicago, each in their own RV, supplied by an RV rental company. The idea, like the Amazing Race, is to get from Chicago to California with contests among the families along the way.

In the first episode the families drove from Chicago to Madison, Illinois with a stop in Springfield for the 1st contest, then on to St. Louis where the 3 losers of the 1st contest had to try to win another contest, with one family being eliminated and going home.

Lots of nice Route 66 footage along the way, tho they are doing it the easy way by staying on the interstates.

In a word the show's hilarious.

Future episodes are on NBC, Tuesday night at 9pm EDST.

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

I missed the program, but did you say they are staying on the interstates? Tell me it isn't so!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks Alex, seems to be over on Hulu as well.

http://www.hulu.com/great-american-road-trip

It's inspiring to say the least!

... Chris

• 4 weeks later...

The Great American Road Trip, in the last episode, was down to 3 families and they were in Winslow, AZ. They stopped at the Grand Canyon, and there were some great shots of the canyon. Not to sure where they'll end up next week.

An earlier episode showed the Route 66 drive-in in Carthage - they contestants stopped there for a King of the Road Challenge.

My favorite family are the DiSalvatore's - he is so typical New York, right down to the accent. And funny. When the started this contest in Chicago he got behind the wheel of the RV and said "How do you start this thing!!" In this last episode it showed him trying to figure out how to put gas in the RV. I hope they make it further down the road.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

I've been watching the show online (since I can't get NBC over the air, and I refuse to pay for many channels I wouldn't watch on cable). In the first few episodes I liked the Cootes, but lately they've treated their winnings of the challenges like they were expected. Silvio DiSalvatore irritated me at first (especially when saying Chicago and Saint Louis aren't big cities), but he's grown on me.

I wish they'd strictly stick to 66 instead of going to places like Branson, Mo., but it's an entertaining summer show.

Tracy