American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Emily's Drive Info Request

DennyG

Thanks to wanderlustjake & Becky who responded to my request but I still missed Emily.

My work schedule had ruled out any hope of trailing Emily through Ohio and I had pretty much put the thought aside. Then, on Friday, I looked over the schedule and realized that it might be possible to connect on Sunday. On Saturday, I decided to make the attempt and looked a bit closer at what was is called a route on Emily's website (http://aliceramsey.org) and discovered that it identified what I assume are daily end points but said nothing about what path might be followed between them. I posted and emailed some requests for better information but I wasn't too concerned. Peninsula, Ohio, Sunday's target, is fairly small and I figured a question or two would get me to the right spot. But no one I spoke with in Peninsula, including the police department, had any idea what I was talking about.

There seemed to be only one possible route through town but they might intend to end the day at the east edge of town. I actually joined Twitter to get theri messages and I did get them. But they didn't help much. They seem to arrive two to three hours after whatever they described occur ed and they contained no location information. I drove east for a bit but couldn't be sure I was on the right route and feared I'd miss them. I was unable to get a usable internet connection through my phone but managed to connecta a couple f times through a restaurant in Peninsula. Late in the afternoon a post appeared on Emily's blog saying their day would end in Aurora. Now I was really confused and at 6:30 gave up and headed home. At 8:30 I received a tweet saying they had "made it" at 7:15 although I'm still not sure where they "made it" to.

There is a natural tendency to blame the Maxwell group for not providing more details but the truth is that had I started looking into things a little earlier I would have seen how little I knew and have had a chance to correct that. This was actual my second attempt to see the Maxwell. The car was scheduled to appear in Canton, Ohio, last fall and I altered a road trip just a bit to be there. But those plans fell through and the car didn't make it. Close but no old car.

My wife and kids were able to catch them at Snook's yesterday. I was unfortunately unable to go, that work before play thing. They were excited to meet and talk to them. Everyone there was extremely friendly. Thank You to Snook's for providing a fitting environment and the reception (teenage boys ALWAYS appreciate food). They also enjoyed the museum, after seeing the race cars we're talking about catching a vintage race. Our youngest was lucky enough to be interviewed by the film crew, hopefully he makes the cut. I'll try to post a couple pictures soon.

Jason

Glad your family got to connect. Apparently taking the inititive and seeking them out is what's required.

The specifics do seem to be a mystery plus I think when they have car troubles they're picking up and trailering.