American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

This Weekend In Good Old Madison

DennyG

Madison, Indiana, has been the topic of several forum posts. It's where the Michigan Road, the subject of this thread by mobilene, begins and it's where the Bremers came revisiting some scenes from "Some Came Running". The place turns 200 this year and the birthday party starts tomorrow.

I've mentioned a desire to stay at Indiana's oldest hotel, the Broadway and decided that there's no better time than now. I've booked a room for tomorrow night and hope (but won't promise) to be in town for the 11 AM Founders Parade. If anyone thinks they might get to Madison over the weekend, raise your hand and I'll get you my cell number if you don't already have it. However, a word of caution to Jennifer. They have some sort of geocaching event AND they're showing "Some Came Running". Best bring your clone. :D

Were you aware that the courthouse in Madison recently burned? Some photos:

http://sindianavisions.wordpress.com/2009/...ourthouse-fire/

http://sindianavisions.wordpress.com/2009/...urthouse-burns/

No, I didn't know that and I should have since the home page of the bicentennial website I posted a link to mentions it in the first paragraph. What a shame. The timimg could hardly have been worse but it's 200 years of overcoming events like this that the city is celebrating. I don't doubt it will be rebuilt.

Fears that Indiana roadies would be ringing my phone constantly did not materialize so I was able to enjoy a (sometimes) quiet weekend on both banks of the Ohio. I slept at the Broadway, ate at Hinkle's (although a 'burger is still to come), viewed both a wet and a dry parade, and had non-stop wonderful weather for scenic drives to and from. Read all about it HERE.

Fears that Indiana roadies would be ringing my phone constantly did not materialize so I was able to enjoy a (sometimes) quiet weekend on both banks of the Ohio. I slept at the Broadway, ate at Hinkle's (although a 'burger is still to come), viewed both a wet and a dry parade, and had non-stop wonderful weather for scenic drives to and from. Read all about it HERE.

Too bad I was booked solid this past weekend, or I would have liked to head down there. Would have been cool to see "Some Came Running" in a theatre featured in the movie! And what was up with the geocaching event? Sounds interesting.

Unfortunately (well fortunately, really), Pat and I helped my mom shop for a new van (a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan, mint condish!). That inspired me to get my Toyota Corolla into good shape, so on Sunday I set a goal to meticulously detail it, and I achieved said goal, but it was an all-day process! I also achieved a really bad backache, but thanks to my physical therapy, I am able to do exercises to counteract the pain, and I am no worse for the wear.

Now my car is very road-trip worthy, in which we'll be motoring west this weekend!!

Pat:

I remember your own visit to Hinkle's and was all set to order a pair had I missed the bacon & eggs cutoff. For folks ordering 'burgers in the 10:00-10:30 time frame, three seemed a popular number.

Jennifer:

My one regret from the weekend is that I did not take time to check out the Ohio theater on the inside. I know you're planning on heading further west during the coming weekend but note that the film festival and 200 hour party continue through Sunday with the last showing of "Some Came Running" at 7:00 PM.

Jim:

I don't think you'll regret doing that Madison-Aurora river side drive. There aren't a lot of major landmarks but the view is almost always pleasing. Keep your eyes peeled in Rising Sun. I just might be on that second floor porch waving at you.