American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

U S 40 In California

There's a gentleman who signs himself as Perfesser Creekwater who has walked U S 40, east to west and west to east, several times.

Mark posted the following (excerpt) on the US40 road group today about Fairfield, CA:

I ALREADY KNEW THAT OLD 40 USED TO GO THIS WAY, BUT WAS "DOWN-GRADED" YEARs AGO, AND THE RT.40 ROAD-SIGNs REMOVED ... :-(

YESTERDAY I DISCOVER'D THAT FOLKs IN FAIRFIELD HAVE RE-INSTALL'D RT.40 SIGNs :-) :-) ---DOZENs OF THEM, ALONG TEXAS STREET, THE TOWN's MAIN STREET, TO ID IT AS "HISTORIC US 40 ROUTE"

And, yes, the Perfesser does type in all caps - always has. Interesting snippet to say the least.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

There's a gentleman who signs himself as Perfesser Creekwater who has walked U S 40, east to west and west to east, several times.

Mark posted the following (excerpt) on the US40 road group today about Fairfield, CA:

I ALREADY KNEW THAT OLD 40 USED TO GO THIS WAY, BUT WAS "DOWN-GRADED" YEARs AGO, AND THE RT.40 ROAD-SIGNs REMOVED ... :-(

YESTERDAY I DISCOVER'D THAT FOLKs IN FAIRFIELD HAVE RE-INSTALL'D RT.40 SIGNs :-) :-) ---DOZENs OF THEM, ALONG TEXAS STREET, THE TOWN's MAIN STREET, TO ID IT AS "HISTORIC US 40 ROUTE"

And, yes, the Perfesser does type in all caps - always has. Interesting snippet to say the least.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Further evidence that people love the old two lanes!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I've seen quite a few "Historic Route 40" signs in California along the route in Fairfield, Vacaville, Davis, Sacramento, and Colfax.

Texaco Fire Chief - I recently joined this American Road Forum, and have been participating in the Yahoo Route 40 group for a couple of years. I cannot say it's real active, but it is only as active as the members make it. I personally have been posting pics from Kansas (historic and current) and adding topics as I come across them.

Steve

Ellis, KS

Welcome, Steve. I recognize the handle from the Route 40 Yahoo Group and have seen the Kansas stuff you've posted there. Before that, I don't think I realized there was a Route 40 Association. There is definitely some overlap & mingling between this forum and the Route 40 group. It is, after all, called a web and useful information comes from a bunch of different angles. Hope you have fun here and hope to hear more from you.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember riding in the back seat of a 35 Chev, going through Fairfield, CA long ago. As you were leaving town east bound

there was a Millers Beer sign. It said the "Champagne of Bottled Beer".

A couple weeks ago I took Hwy 40 though most of Utah. It is a very good road now, not the old one in most places.