American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Roadhouse 66

DennyG

I started to post this in the Route 66 sub-forum but decided that it might not be entirely proper. Dave Wickline's Roadhouse 66 Bar & Grill opened in Columbus, Ohio, last Tuesday and I made my first visit yesterday. I even drove by the south end of Ohio's State Route 66 on the way. Good food, music, & beverages and Route 66 stuff everywhere. Some photos HERE.

I started to post this in the Route 66 sub-forum but decided that it might not be entirely proper. Dave Wickline's Roadhouse 66 Bar & Grill opened in Columbus, Ohio, last Tuesday and I made my first visit yesterday. I even drove by the south end of Ohio's State Route 66 on the way. Good food, music, & beverages and Route 66 stuff everywhere. Some photos HERE.

Denny,

Interesting new place....and did you note the spelling of "grille" fits a car better than a bar!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Denny,

Sure looks like a fun place, even for those who don't really know about Route 66.

America On Wheels had a local gentleman showing photos of his 2007 trip on Route 66 a few weeks back. Since then I re did his photos on a DVD for the next time he presents, and there have all his photos on my computer too. He drove his 1962 Corvette from Souderton PA and then did the trip. He installed a small block Chevy motor from a sprint car in the 'vette and gets 500 hp at the rear axle. He did have to change 38 sparkplugs during the trip due to an oil leak in the 8th cylinder, but he made the full length and loved his experience.

Denny,

Interesting new place....and did you note the spelling of "grille" fits a car better than a bar!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Not only did I not note it, I wasn't aware of the difference. A www spot check turned up several other grilles serving food and a few auto parts places selling grills. In this regard, the car folks seem less prone to err than the bar folks.

Denny,

Sure looks like a fun place, even for those who don't really know about Route 66.

America On Wheels had a local gentleman showing photos of his 2007 trip on Route 66 a few weeks back. Since then I re did his photos on a DVD for the next time he presents, and there have all his photos on my computer too. He drove his 1962 Corvette from Souderton PA and then did the trip. He installed a small block Chevy motor from a sprint car in the 'vette and gets 500 hp at the rear axle. He did have to change 38 sparkplugs during the trip due to an oil leak in the 8th cylinder, but he made the full length and loved his experience.

Either he was buying those plugs in route or he didn't pack a lot of clothes. Storage in a '62 Corvette is "limited". :D

Either he was buying those plugs in route or he didn't pack a lot of clothes. Storage in a '62 Corvette is "limited". :D

He had one folding suit type luggage case and did laundry every few days...he had taken his personal cylinder 8 sparkplug wrench which was bent ot make the change easier, so I think he packed at least some plugs knowing in advance that he would be sparking that plug...

I know I can't imagine traveling for a month with my TR3 although many used to do that.

And speaking of interesting travel vehicles, we had some interesting ones at America On Wheels this past weekend when some cars from the Eastern Concours d'Elegance visited the museum as part of their cruise day.

Denny,

Great Report. I am proud of Dave and his brother. The place looks great.

I remember that "Cadillac Ranch" model fondly. My name is on it somewhere.

I am jealous of that Ohio "clubhouse" now.

It might be worth a quick flight to Columbus over a weekend sometime, to tender some

National Road and Roadhouse 66.

Willy

Denny,

Great Report. I am proud of Dave and his brother. The place looks great.

I remember that "Cadillac Ranch" model fondly. My name is on it somewhere.

I am jealous of that Ohio "clubhouse" now.

It might be worth a quick flight to Columbus over a weekend sometime, to tender some

National Road and Roadhouse 66.

Willy

You probably also remember the "Twin Arrows" that Dave had in Litchfield. They are sort of visible in the last picture in the third row. Dave has the original shafts that everyone signed stored at home and has replaced them with new blank ones for the Roadhouse.

If you're serious about a Columbus visit, you know you can count on an area guide if desired. If you don't have it already, you should ask for one of the world's best travel guides HERE. It's free and really does do a nice job of describing the National Road in Ohio.

You may have noticed that the Sloanes from Australia are planning on a Roadhouse 66 visit in the fall. I don't think they have the dates all worked out yet but you might want to watch for them.