American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Wilson Bridge, April,2001

In April of 2001, I experimented with a roll of black and white slide film rated at about ASA 200. Although cost did not allow a repeat, some interesting results were obtained when I shot some National RD. subjects between Middletown, MD., and Indian Springs, MD.

Here is the famous Wilson bridge, seen here from the east side of Conococheague Creek.

Warren Jenkins photo

post-8921-1243468167_thumb.jpg

In April of 2001, I experimented with a roll of black and white slide film rated at about ASA 200. Although cost did not allow a repeat, some interesting results were obtained when I shot some National RD. subjects between Middletown, MD., and Indian Springs, MD.

Here is the famous Wilson bridge, seen here from the east side of Conococheague Creek.

Warren Jenkins photo

Warren,

Definitely an “old timey” photo! If you “photoshopped” the house on the left a little, you would expect horses and coach to be crossing any time!

I bought a roll of B&W last week to run through my old Nikon F....mostly to check shutter speeds....but now I will have to look for suitable subjects! I am inspired by your shot!

BTW, you will soon discover that the allocation for photos on site is limited. I’d hate to have your excellent photos not get shared. You will soon need to use the gallery here, or a service like Flickr (free), or your own paid server. We stand ready to offer all the free advice you want…..and since I haven’t welcomed you yet….WELCOME!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I've had pretty good luck converting color pics to black and white using MS Picture It. Mostly with pictures of older (1920's and 1930's) Hudson's. These are usually pictures I've taken with my digital camera at car meets.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Warren,

Definitely an “old timey” photo! If you “photoshopped” the house on the left a little, you would expect horses and coach to be crossing any time!

I bought a roll of B&W last week to run through my old Nikon F....mostly to check shutter speeds....but now I will have to look for suitable subjects! I am inspired by your shot!

BTW, you will soon discover that the allocation for photos on site is limited. I’d hate to have your excellent photos not get shared. You will soon need to use the gallery here, or a service like Flickr (free), or your own paid server. We stand ready to offer all the free advice you want…..and since I haven’t welcomed you yet….WELCOME!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I did notice that fact after I posted. I will probably opt to using the gallery, especially since I am in the process of scanning the other 30 B&W slides from that 2001 "experiment"

I was very satisfied with B&W film in pursuit of this hobby; in 2004 I used Kodak ASA400 to shoot the Hancock-Sideling Hill section, I also shot the same scenes with ASA 200 color film.

With my Nikons and B&W film, I try to bring back the nostalgia you get from looking at old photos or postcards.

Warren Jenkins

Warren, that angle on the Wilson bridge seems to be the one everybody finds! I found it myself, and after I took that shot, I started noticing how many published photos were taken from the same place!

3436085444_2ac9f14da5_m.jpg

Jim, from a photographer's viewpoint, that is the least obstructed view, with easy access and good light throughout much of the day. I shot this thing from all angles, except from the newer bridge, which seemed a bit risky...

I also tried to get the old overlook view looking eastward from the hillside, but this was impossible because of trees and houses.IMO, it is also better to shoot the bridge in low water, since the creek can pile up debris on the upstream side during and after high water.

Warren Jenkins

• 3 weeks later...
The first 10 posts to my B&W National RD. gallery have been made, with additional entries to come. Other new gallery albums are also on the way!

Warren Jenkins

Warren,

I enjoyed all ten. I suppose the Mill was my favorite, but it was tough to choose. I liked the bridges as well! B&W really does change the mood.

Thanks!

Dave