American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

National Parks Highway - Small Town Girl

I had a great day on the road, but not so much on the home front. A family emergency has caused me to turn around & start heading back this afternoon. The youngest daughter, who is no youngster, was admitted to the hospital with complications arising from diabetes….nasty stuff. I could go on to Glacier, but it will still be there later in the year.

I have some great road goodies (which may have to wait until tomorrow as it is already getting late), but I want to tell the story about meeting Coulee City’s biggest booster yesterday.

Coulee City is a small town in the Grand Coulee. I think of it as the gateway to Dry Falls, but because of the lakes in the area and ranches nearby it probably is better known for fishing, boating, and rodeos. It is small, maybe 600 people. It sits on the National Parks Highway and is listed in their 1917 guide.

I was parked on the main street taking a photo of the local hotel, when a fellow pulled his pickup in and parked in front. I said “Hi!” and he asked if he had blocked my photo. “No, I said. but you look like the best prospect to tell me when the hotel was built.” He didn’t know, but he said he knew someone who did, so he led me down the street and up stairs in to the local newspaper office. He introduced me to Shirley.

Shirley is owner, editor, publisher, and sports reporter for the local newspaper, manages the local fitness facility, manages the multi occupant building we were in, is on the city council, and knows Coulee City like the back of her hand. She grew up in the Grand Coulee area and says she wouldn’t leave Coulee City for anything.

I am a fair judge of a person’s professional capabilities, and I would bet my lunch money she would be the spark plug for any enterprise she chose. The newspaper office is an embodiment of the woman. She is into everything. She must have five computers, including one she built herself. It had to have a red motherboard because it has a transparent case.

ARShirley.jpg

She had amazing photos including a 1916 panorama of Coulee City. And midway through the conversation she remembered another photo she had, of a car in a race along the Sunset Highway (National Parks Highway) in 1915. I got a copy for future use. I am going to remember the local newspaper offices along the way as a good stop for NPH material.

One of the questions I asked her was whether newspapers like hers would use road stories, like some of the descriptions we share here. She gave a definite "Yes!"

The building where the office is located (see photo below) was built in 1912, so it was there when the Sunset Highway was christened and was on the route of the National Parks Highway.

ARCouleeCity1912.jpg

I left the office with an armload of history material Shirley had pulled from the storage room for me…….and a big smile. I think I met the real American small town girl….where else, but on the American Road!!

More to follow as we explore the National Parks Highway and try to explain why there were two National Parks Highway Associations!?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Although the day's good surprise doesn't offset the day's bad surprise it's was still a dandy. People like Shirley, who are familiar with and proud of their town's history can sure brighten up a day -- and teach you something, too.

Sorry to hear you had to cut your trip short due to a family emergency, your story is just so wonderful. We need more Shirley's around to make this world a better place. Thanks for sharing, and know that you and your family are in my prayers at this trying time...

I know it's easy to forget that the American Road Magazine Forum is just one part of the American Road Magazine website. Us regulars may even have become slightly immune to the PavingTheWay (Which I saw 1/2 of last night and loved.) banner that's been topping forum pages for awhile. But, if you stop by the site's top level page, you'll see plenty of interesting goodies and a different banner. At the moment, that banner touts the Coulee Corridor and leads to a website that includes a map with Coulee City almost dead center. Is Dave just following subliminal suggestions, did the banner appear to take advantage of Dave's attention grabbing drive, or is it just coincidence?