American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Abandoned National Road Bit In Maryland

mobilene

• 2 weeks later...
This little bit of pavement, circa 1930, is sitting right out in the open along the National Road west of Hagerstown, MD.

3436104966_46ef219196.jpg

Here's a map link to the spot:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...=17&iwloc=A

Jim, I believe that is from around 1920, a 1921 MD. State Highways book I've seen refers to this to this type of paving as being applied to major highways in the state. Certainly this pavement is a guide to the original path of the NR in many locations, the most intact sections seem to be those bypassed or abandoned before WWII. Much of the NR in Maryland between Hagerstown and Frostburg was bypassed or repaved with concrete in the 30's-40's to "modernize" US40.

Warren Jenkins

Jim, I believe that is from around 1920, a 1921 MD. State Highways book I've seen refers to this to this type of paving as being applied to major highways in the state. Certainly this pavement is a guide to the original path of the NR in many locations, the most intact sections seem to be those bypassed or abandoned before WWII. Much of the NR in Maryland between Hagerstown and Frostburg was bypassed or repaved with concrete in the 30's-40's to "modernize" US40.

Warren Jenkins

Very interesting, Warren. I said "ca 1930" because I've seen photos dated from then, give or take a couple years, that show this kind of pavement looking to be fairly fresh.

jim

Jim, you are correct that the pavement is c.1930, I was just stating that the program started some 10 years before. From studying the Feldstein and Spitzer postcard collections, it appears the NR in Garrett County did not get this treatment until the early 30's. No doubt the onset of the Great Depression slowed Maryland's road improvements for a few years. I plan to post pics of a section with this style paving near Licking Creek (Indian Springs,MD.) that was abandoned in 1939 and is still well preserved.

Warren

Did I mention that I'm a postcard nut?

Edited by Texaco Fire Chief

Postcard nut? You don't say?

I've gotten into postcards only as a relatively inexpensive and easy way to find old-road photos and photos of long-ago places along old roads. I am building a collection of cards along Indiana's Michigan Road, for example.

The postcard books from Arcadia Press are generally really interesting.

Looking forward to the photos from Licking Creek.