American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

National Parks Highway To Glacier National Park

I will launch a semi official, preliminary, initial “scout” of the National Parks Highway in Washington, Idaho and western Montana tomorrow. My plans (seldom followed in detail) are to give attention to the route between the Columbia River, up Pine Canyon, across to Waterville, Davenport and Spokane, about 150 miles.

Eastbound at Spokane you get three for one on the National Parks Highway, all three routes coming back together at Missoula, Montana. The northern route went via Bonners Ferry, Libby and Kalispell, and into Glacier NP before turning south. The middle route went from Sandpoint through Clarks Fork and Thompson Falls, and into Missoula. The south fork followed the same route as the Yellowstone Trail via Wallace into Missoula.

After searching the archives in Spokane for the National Parks Highway photos, papers, and lanternslides reputed to be there, I will go northeast along the old alignment to Bonners Ferry, then south east through Libby into Kalispell, and then into Glacier National Park (about 280 miles)…all if the weather holds and I don’t run out of money and clean socks.

The return will be on the middle fork of the National Parks Highway, again if time, money and all that stuff holds out.

I’ll try to post reports along the way.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I’ll try to post reports along the way.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

And I will be looking forward to your posts. Have a fun and safe trip!!!