American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

1916 National Parks Highway – No Milk Can Needed

I was a little surprised but pleased that the 1915-16 Automobile Blue Book for Washington, Oregon and Idaho carried an ad for the National Parks Highway, that great transcontinental highway, now so long largely forgotten.....until now!. In glowing terms tourists were assured a fine experience and told they did not need to carry water in milk can or water bag. It was available every 20 or 30 miles on average.

And several of the mountain passes were open as early as March! What about the others? Did you wait for July? I have tried to go over some of those original “mountain passes” on the NPH in June, and encountered snow drifts blocking the way that were 10 to 20 feet high. Maybe 1915 was a dry, warm year!

None the less, I’m betting that this is one of the earliest ads, maybe the first, for the National Parks Highway. It is conspicuously lacking even a crude map, and given that I have yet to find anything in this Blue Book that would have provided guidance as to the actual route, you wonder why they spent the money.

But as self appointed President and all round booster for the new National Parks Highway Association, I say, let get on with it!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

AR1915-16ABBNPH.jpg

Like that ad - almost makes me want to start packing all the gear needed to head west. Dusters, goggles, shovels, tools, rope or chain, tire repair kit, etc etc etc :D

But on the other hand, according to that ad, it's an excellent highway so maybe I wouldn't need all that equipment on this road.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex, Eric, Jason,

This is great! Terrific photo and great comments!

I have the story around here somewhere of the “blazing” of the National Parks Highway, which was the same year as the ad. The conditions they encountered definitely don’t match the ad’s statement “A few short stretches are narrow and crooked.” It would be more accurate to say “Some stretches are virtually impassable and clearly dangerous. Some are under water.”

I hope to get out tomorrow to start a first level reconnaissance of the NPH in Washington, specifically between Waterville and Spokane, but perhaps more. The maps our members have developed and posted elsewhere here will be my guide. There are many miles of “abandoned” alignments to follow, and several “mysteries” which I probably won’t resolve.

I’ll try to post a few of the goodies as I go. Eric has recommended The Willows in Wilber as an overnight, so I may give the place a try. I have already stayed in, and reported on, the Waterville Hotel (in Waterville), which is a classic from 1903 and a great stop as well.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road….in this case The National Parks Highway.

Did anyone notice the location of the Shell gas station in the picture? Right in the middle of the road?! :o Great shot!

Jason

...not to mention the mid-street parking! Agreed, a fine photo find!

(...can one still go dancing on University Street in Seattle?)

Wish I could ID all, or at least some, of the cars, but when you get pre-55 or so my car spotter skills get pretty hazy! :D

Speaking of the founding... I've heard (and should know) that PBS made a documentary about the National Parks Highway. I'd assume it's about the drive they did (sort of like the amazing documentary Horatio's Drive).

I definitely suggested The Willows. After a long, long and horrible ride from Seattle to Wilbur with a maddening, splitting headache, The Willows was perfect. It was a miserable day (didn't want to go back to Pennsylvania and was the first day heading east). Thankfully, I had a nice motel.

Speaking of the founding... I've heard (and should know) that PBS made a documentary about the National Parks Highway. I'd assume it's about the drive they did (sort of like the amazing documentary Horatio's Drive).

Assume you mean "Paving the Way" which is about the similarly-named but different National Park To Park Highway. There's a banner ad about it at the top of this very site.

Wish I could ID all, or at least some, of the cars, but when you get pre-55 or so my car spotter skills get pretty hazy! :D

And did anybody notice that at least 75% of the old cars in that shot are touring, also called phaetons. Open cars with soft tops.

That would be quite common in that era - it would be up to Hudson to offer a low cost car (5-Pass. Coach @ $1495) in 1922. Tho they had sedans from 1919 in the Essex line and from around 1916 in the Hudson line, the prices were in the low $2000 range, as were prices for comparable makes.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

And did anybody notice that at least 75% of the old cars in that shot are touring, also called phaetons. Open cars with soft tops.

That would be quite common in that era - it would be up to Hudson to offer a low cost car (5-Pass. Coach @ $1495) in 1922. Tho they had sedans from 1919 in the Essex line and from around 1916 in the Hudson line, the prices were in the low $2000 range, as were prices for comparable makes.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Hey, leave it to Alex to make it a Hudson story! :D:rolleyes:

Seriously, I love it!

Now I know what a phaeton is. I thought it was a young Egyptian prince!

I have been busy trying to sort out the NPH stuff. Eric, where did you find that photo?

I will be in Spokane Tuesday hopefully going through the National Parks Highway material from the Inland Automobile Club Association and the Frank W Guilbert collection. Guilbert was the NPH “sparkplug.”

It is reputed that Guilbert and Inland left 1500 photos, many of which show the NPH when it was being blazed. I understand that even the original lantern slides used to promote the highway on the inaugural run are there.

I launch a scouting run tomorrow, using the excellent map work of our members. I want to follow as many of the abandoned alignments between Waterville and Spokane as I can in a sedan. The good news is that along that route there is more road abandoned than overlaid or destroyed, so it should be a road rowdy’s feast.

I even bought a metal detector, which I don’t yet know how to use, on the outside possibility that I can locate the site of the famous Hotel Spencer. Rumor has it that Al Capone stayed there when he was on the lam and that it was haunted by his spirit, so they razed the place to the ground, and gave misleading road directions to the site. (If you believe a single word of that BS, other than I bought a metal detector, let me tell you about an encounter I had with Bigfoot last week)

Thanks again for the interest and comebacks.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave, I enjoy you. I'm tempted to take to the road and go! But I don't think it'll happen. If I could make it to Moses Coulee and back in one quick day, I might. But it's cold over the passes this time of year and I think I'm pretty wimpy right now. :)

I got the picture from the UW digital collection:

http://www.lib.washington.edu/about/collections.html

TONS of old stuff there.

Good luck finding the old Hotel site. The desert wouldn't have completely reclaimed it.

Oh, and while you're there, just as your going down the western slope of Moses Coulee, peek out over the edge. There is another road right there along side it. It looks like it was a 4 lane, but I'm doubting it was. I'm guess is that it was the original road and they put it there so they wouldn't have to make such a large cut.

I'm envious. Really wish I could get out there. Looks like great weather for it.

-Eric

Ah, I bet it is (I don't see ads), thanks. Seen it? Any good?

-Eric

No, I haven't seen it yet. Plan to pick up the DVD at some point. I do have "Horatio's Drive", which you also mentioned. Now that was quite a feat--driving coast to coast in 1903!

Dave,

Interesting research and reading on the NPH. I came up with an idea, but not having much success so far. I was thinking it would be neat if we could find one of the other old road certificates of membership (or card), change it up to fit the NPH and post it so those that are interested could just download it and add their own name for fun. Another way of reviving it. What does everyone think? Problem is in my limited research and time I haven't come up with much. Has anyone seen and "official" NPH letterhead that might be adapted or have any ideas?

Jason

Dave,

Interesting research and reading on the NPH. I came up with an idea, but not having much success so far. I was thinking it would be neat if we could find one of the other old road certificates of membership (or card), change it up to fit the NPH and post it so those that are interested could just download it and add their own name for fun. Another way of reviving it. What does everyone think? Problem is in my limited research and time I haven't come up with much. Has anyone seen and "official" NPH letterhead that might be adapted or have any ideas?

Jason

Jason,

Great idea! I will be in Spokane Tuesday where some of the NPH material resides and I'll see what I can find.

This evening I am staying in the very nice 1907 Waterville Hotel on the old National Park Highway. The place was a stop in the days of the old road.

Thanks for the idea!!

Dave

Keep the Show on tne Road!

No, I haven't seen it yet. Plan to pick up the DVD at some point. I do have "Horatio's Drive", which you also mentioned. Now that was quite a feat--driving coast to coast in 1903!

I got to see that first half of "Paving the Way" last night and will watch the second half next Tuesday. I believe this is its first broadcast locally. Good stuff with lots of old photos and movies used "Ken Burns style". In fact, the credits include a thank you to Burns for "inspiration" or something along those lines. American Road Magazine cosponsored the production and got a mention at both the start and end of the broadcast. Kind of nice to see ARM on TV :)

Before broadcasts started on May 1, you could have saved five bucks on the CD at the American Road Magazine store. But the price is still reasonable at $24.95.