American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Il Sites Reopen

Today's STL Post-Dispatch states that "several state historic sites in central and southern IL are now open - or soon will be - seven days per week to accommodate more visitors during the traditionally busy tourist season." The sites include:

Cahokia Mounds, Collinsville

Lewis and Clark historic site, Hartford

Fort Kaskaskia, Ellis Grove

Vandalia Statehouse, Vandalia

Lincoln Tomb, Springfield

Lincoln's New Salem historic site, Petersburg

Old State Capitol, Springfield

Lincoln Log Cabin, Lerna

The article further says that "expanded operations were made possible by a $1.6 million supplemental appropriation which allowed the IL Historic Preservation Agency to reopen 11 sites closed since December 1 and hire seasonal workers for daily operations at other sites."....Bliss

Today's STL Post-Dispatch states that "several state historic sites in central and southern IL are now open - or soon will be - seven days per week to accommodate more visitors during the traditionally busy tourist season." The sites include:

Lincoln Log Cabin, Lerna

The article further says that "expanded operations were made possible by a $1.6 million supplemental appropriation which allowed the IL Historic Preservation Agency to reopen 11 sites closed since December 1 and hire seasonal workers for daily operations at other sites."....Bliss

That's good news from at least one state!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Lincoln Log Cabin, Lerna

Excellent. That has to translate to tourist dollars.

Bliss,

That is good news. Hopefully there will be man similar stories across the nation as the economy starts to climb back out of its hole. Thanks for making this day a better one!

Bliss,

That is good news. Hopefully there will be man similar stories across the nation as the economy starts to climb back out of its hole. Thanks for making this day a better one!

Off topic: Dave, just curious: Is the photo in your post from Burning Man?

On topic: (rant on) With the state of Illinois having to close or limit hours at these historic sites, it's really great (sarcasm) that they have had to waste so much money due to the sleazy shenanigans of Blago The Clown...(rant off)

Off topic: Dave, just curious: Is the photo in your post from Burning Man?

On topic: (rant on) With the state of Illinois having to close or limit hours at these historic sites, it's really great (sarcasm) that they have had to waste so much money due to the sleazy shenanigans of Blago The Clown...(rant off)

Off topic: The photo that is currently in my signature was taken at the old SaltAir resort on the Great Salt Lake outside of Salt Lake City UT. I took it in the spring of 2005. The resort seemed to be a bit of an "artist" campground when we were there, and this cool sculpture seemed to be made out of scrap wood. Since my mom had visited SaltAir in the 30's, I took a number of photos of the current conditions to share with her, and this one was always one of my favorites. I have started to rotate photos from my collection in my signature on the British Car Forum where several people do this, and I thought I would try it here as well. If I remember, the photo will change roughly each Monday. Thanks for asking...

And back on topic, how do you feel about the IL government?

Off topic: The photo that is currently in my signature was taken at the old SaltAir resort on the Great Salt Lake outside of Salt Lake City UT. I took it in the spring of 2005. The resort seemed to be a bit of an "artist" campground when we were there, and this cool sculpture seemed to be made out of scrap wood. Since my mom had visited SaltAir in the 30's, I took a number of photos of the current conditions to share with her, and this one was always one of my favorites. I have started to rotate photos from my collection in my signature on the British Car Forum where several people do this, and I thought I would try it here as well. If I remember, the photo will change roughly each Monday. Thanks for asking...

Cool that you searched out the site Dave. It's about 5 miles NW of the current Saltair, right? How did you find it?

Brian

Cool that you searched out the site Dave. It's about 5 miles NW of the current Saltair, right? How did you find it?

Brian

Brian,

I did not realize that this was the third Saltair resort, as it was built to resemble the original two resorts. I knew I had photos of Mom at a Moorish building, and when taking a random drive and finding a similar building named Saltair, I thought it was the same one. I found it on Easter Sunday of 2005 as we were in Salt Lake City for the collegiate volleyball nationals, and thought our son was heading back to the USAF Academy in the evening, but they headed back in the morning and we had the room booked for one more day before heading up to Jackson Hole for a few days. We found a magnificent bird sanctuary that had the rental's GPS unit all befuddled, and then just started to drive west out of town when the Moorish domes appeared. That was my first trip with advice from a member of the old American Road Yahoo group, and on the way back from Jackson to SLC, we used Brian Atkinson's notes for a trip on US 89. It was a great vacation.

BTW, my signature photo for this week is of the pavillion at the bird sanctuary.