American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 99 Bicycle Tour

Hello all,

Well, its getting closer. Starting July 31 and ending on August 10, I will be touring old US 99 from Vancouver, BC to Portland, OR by bicycle. I will be staying in Bellingham, Seattle, Olympia, Castle Rock, Troutdale, Hood River, and Gresham. The last part of the trip, as the cities suggest, will be following the Columbia River Highway (US 30) to the Rowena Loops, then over the Mt Hood Highway back to Portland. I will post more information as it gets closer. I'm still looking for advice about alignments and bridges I must see. I'm also looking to finally meet some of the Highway 99 people in Washington. Oregon US 99 will be ridden most likely in 2011.

Hello all,

Well, its getting closer. Starting July 31 and ending on August 10, I will be touring old US 99 from Vancouver, BC to Portland, OR by bicycle. I will be staying in Bellingham, Seattle, Olympia, Castle Rock, Troutdale, Hood River, and Gresham. The last part of the trip, as the cities suggest, will be following the Columbia River Highway (US 30) to the Rowena Loops, then over the Mt Hood Highway back to Portland. I will post more information as it gets closer. I'm still looking for advice about alignments and bridges I must see. I'm also looking to finally meet some of the Highway 99 people in Washington. Oregon US 99 will be ridden most likely in 2011.

Mike,

I’ll look forward to buying you a cup of coffee when you are in Olympia.

Let me know if I can help by scouting alternate routes south of Tacoma, or there about, to the Oregon border. Maybe Eric can pick up some of the part north of Tacoma.

It is probably perfectly legit to include the Columbia River Highway on a US99 trip, because when the old Pacific Highway Association advertised in the teens, I recall they included more photos of the CRH than they did of sights along the Pacific Highway!!

It may not be significant to your purposes, but the Washington State Library here in Olympia has a run of 1914 -1916 Western Motor Car Magazine, which was the official organ of the Pacific Highway Association. It therefore contains lots of stuff relative to the highway, before it was US99 of course.

Depending on your needs, I could do a little library research, if it would be useful.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Mike,

I’ll look forward to buying you a cup of coffee when you are in Olympia.

Let me know if I can help by scouting alternate routes south of Tacoma, or there about, to the Oregon border. Maybe Eric can pick up some of the part north of Tacoma.

It is probably perfectly legit to include the Columbia River Highway on a US99 trip, because when the old Pacific Highway Association advertised in the teens, I recall they included more photos of the CRH than they did of sights along the Pacific Highway!!

It may not be significant to your purposes, but the Washington State Library here in Olympia has a run of 1914 -1916 Western Motor Car Magazine, which was the official organ of the Pacific Highway Association. It therefore contains lots of stuff relative to the highway, before it was US99 of course.

Depending on your needs, I could do a little library research, if it would be useful.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I will have to keep in touch with you then. I'll be staying at the Chez Cascadia hostel in Olympia. I don't know how long I'll have, either the day before or the next morning. It all depends on how the weather is and how things have gone the past couple of days. By then, I'll know my pace. As to the roads I will be taking, I have that pretty much figured out. What I'm more looking for are older alignments that may not be obvious to me, off of the main road. Parts of 99 I won't be travelling because they aren't cycling friendly, but most of it I will.

As to the Columbia River Gorge, it was the impetus for the trip. I had planned to ride only that, but after realizing I couldn't make a week out of it, I decided to add US 99 from Canada. I plan to see as many of the old bridges while they're still here. I've seen too many replaced lately, before I had a chance to see them. This may be my last time to see the Alaskan Way Viaduct, having driven it both directions in 2006. I have a regular itinerary established, rooms reserved, and train tickets in hand. There are still a couple of things I need to work out, mostly involving the bicycle.

See you in August!

I should also add, the dates:

Lv Vancouver, BC on Aug 2

Ar Bellingham - Aug 2

Seattle - Aug 3

Olympia - Aug 4

Castle Rock - Aug 5

Troutdale - Aug 6

Hood River - Aug 7

Gresham - Aug 8

Lv Portland - Aug 9

• 1 month later...

Ok, figured out an alternate south of Tacoma. I'll be heading through Steilacoom and Dupont, in leui of 99. It takes me away from a longer stretch of I-5, which I don't want to ride. I also will be taking the Interurban Trail from Everett to near Shoreline, then mostly Fremont to Seattle. Other than that, I plan to follow 99 as best as I can. So, how can I get a hold of you when I'm in Olympia? I'll have a 67 mile day before Olympia and a 69 mile day leaving Olympia. As I'll be wanting to get on the road, Tuesday evening is probably better, or an earlier breakfast on Wednesday.

• 1 month later...

Well, I rode 99 and enjoyed just about every mile. Plenty of concrete to see, bridges, and towns. Here is my online journal:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/5240

Enjoy.