American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Strange Sighting On Old Us99

I thought that regular official US99 shields were obsolete. Sure, there are state 99 shields, and even Historic US99 shields, but isn’t US99 decommissioned….history….a memory?

I’m looking through the windshield at this intersection near Gold Hill, Oregon……and there is a US99 shield! The guy behind me is unimpressed and using his horn to tell me to put down the camera. So the photo is blurred. But unlike your run of the mill UFO photo, this one is clear enough.

So how come? Enlighten me.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

AR99Shield.jpg

Since US 99 was decommisioned in '64, it's not an old sign. My bet is that they screwed up.

Oregon does that. There is a US 19 sign on Oregon Route 19 that I found last summer...

IMGP4964_800.JPG

Eric,

Very interesting, and your picture shows both state and federal symbols. Maybe Oregon got a stock of free out of date signs and decided to save money! :rolleyes:

Dave

So that raises a question - who signs the roads? Does the state sign federal roads? If so, then they make their own signs and the workers are given a pile and told to put them up. The folks who make them don't know where they're going and the folks who put them up, have no say in what/where to hang them.

I wonder how many people notice that the wrong signs are up.

So that raises a question - who signs the roads? Does the state sign federal roads? If so, then they make their own signs and the workers are given a pile and told to put them up. The folks who make them don't know where they're going and the folks who put them up, have no say in what/where to hang them.

I wonder how many people notice that the wrong signs are up.

Eric,

Jim answered the first question. As to how many notice...I'd say one (you) until last week, two last week, and now maybe 50 before long! :rolleyes:

It will sure fool historians when they date a photo by when a road was decommissioned!

Dave