American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Using Google To Map The Yellowstone Trail In Washington

Did you happen to check out the squiggly old road just west of Waterville? I'm anxious to try it.

-Eric

Not on this trip, but last year. It is easy to spot, but not easy to follow in a sedan. And I'm not up to long hikes up and down steep grades anymore. I would have loved to hike down a mile or two into the Shasta River Canyon a few weeks ago along the old alignment under Pioneer Bridge, but it would have required air rescue to get me back out!

I have been looking at something that will carry a "robust" old man on two wheels over rutted, sometimes steep, abandoned roads for at least a few miles. Maybe your scooter knowledge would help. There are motorized bikes and even off road motorized scooters.

Most of the stuff advertised is for kids to race or sail through the air. I need the opposite, something that will gear down to 5 or 10MPH and handle grades and a rough road. It also has to be reasonably portable and light weight. I spotted the Go-Ped Riot as a possibility.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hm.. I'm not sure how much you're willing to drop (or how much room you have) - an electric bike might work. In the scooter area, the Honda Ruckus is fun and would probably do it. There's also the Rough House (which is a dumb name): http://genuinescooters.com/scooters/roughh...roughhouse.html

So the old road west of Waterville is a no-go in a sedan? Ok. I'll have to tackle it myself. I don't really like walking old alignments, either. But mostly, I'm just lazy. :)

-Eric

So, between Coulee City and Spokane, are the YT and NPH exactly the same? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be (through that area anyway).

Eric,

No, then yes! :rolleyes:

As you know, the National Parks Highway predates the Yellowstone Trail between Spokane and over Blewett Pass by maybe ten years. I was mapping the National Parks Highway using 1917-19 and 1923 resources. The Yellowstone Trail at that time was hundreds of mile south. So, “No” they were not the same, not in the time period I was mapping.

One of the reasons I could say much of the 1917-19 National Parks Highway alignment is not on modern US2 is because the NPH followed the boxy stair step pattern characteristic of roads along section lines. By the time the Yellowstone Trail adopted the route (1925), it appears that at least some of those stair steps had been eliminated. Therefore both the NPH and the YT followed the modern (US2) route more closely, and each other fully! So then Yes, they were the same…..in 1925 and after.

I hope that makes sense.

The map (not in detail here) shows in blue where the 1917-19 National Parks Highway differs from the modern US2. For the section between Coulee city and Douglas I had to use a 1923 state map.

The map is the product of one evening’s effort in the motel room the night before my granddaughter’s graduation a few days ago, so I want some dispensation to revise it, where necessary. I identified the places where the old road was evident by comparing modern and 1917-19 maps. There are additional differences where I could not readily establish the old route, but should be able to using Automobile Blue Books here at home.

I have driven several of the old alignments on earlier trips because of my natural inclination to follow the oldest appearing route. The name “Sunset Highway” on some of the old alignments is also an obvious “hint.” But several others remain to be driven.

I plan to provide the detail of this map in another post and discuss what should be a great old alignment gem. But first, I must share elsewhere here the magnificent Palouse Falls.

Map1.jpg

Dave

Hm.. I'm not sure how much you're willing to drop (or how much room you have) - an electric bike might work. In the scooter area, the Honda Ruckus is fun and would probably do it. There's also the Rough House (which is a dumb name): http://genuinescooters.com/scooters/roughh...roughhouse.html

So the old road west of Waterville is a no-go in a sedan? Ok. I'll have to tackle it myself. I don't really like walking old alignments, either. But mostly, I'm just lazy. :)

-Eric

Eric,

Those were two excellent suggestions! I will look closely at each. I don't want to spend more than the Ruckus costs, so that is my upper limit.

Weigth and size are also factors, so I was looking at the Go-Ped Riot before your suggestions. I do confess it looks a little like a granny trike, and I have my "image" to consider! I can see myself going airborne, as in their video, but I'm not sure about the landing!

The Honda Ruckus looks like a serious machine, and its tough to beat the Honda reputation, plus I could probably test one locally.

Thanks for the tips!

Dave

Keep the Ahow on the Road!

Dave,

Yep, I completely understand the stairstep roads. It's fun to see them because instead of right angles, they're usually just sharp curves. Rt 66 in Illinois and Missouri has a ton of these.

I've seen some in WA (on maps, not so much in person, except the brick road @ 196th AVE).

I get what you're saying about No and then Yes. But even "deeper" than that is that there are NPH segments that were abandoned prior to 1925, when the YT moved north.

Before '25, was the Sunset Highway and NPH the same exact road from Waterville to Spokane?

It's these old segments that really make me smile. US 2 is a beautiful road and I'm glad it wasn't made into an interstate, but the old roads around it are wonderful. Can't wait to see your finished map and compare it to mine (which is pure speculation). I'm interested to see how close my guesses are to what's actually correct. I'm betting I'm close and if I am, high fives for everyone.

From Coulee City to Hartline isn't surprising. I thought something was up there, but wasn't sure how far away from US 2 it wandered. From Hartline, I assume it went through Hanson as well, before squiggling down Hanson Station Road to Almira. There's also some suspicious looking old alignments around Almira (Maxwell RD > Childers RD > US 2 - I'm pretty convinced that that is an old alignment, but might be later than NPH or YT)

So the million-penny question is how many of these segments were still used by 1925. Which were not? I'm assuming the Sunset Highway used all, from the earliest till it was decommissioned. *

This is exciting. Can't wait to get back out there.

As for the scooters, the Ruckus is great, but if the Rough House is cheaper, I'd go for that. Genuine Scooters is a great company and, like Honda, has great dealer support. So definitely feel safe with either.

-Eric

*PS - Wikipedia says that the Sunset Highway existed from 1937 – 1964, which is actually the dates of Primary State Highway 2 - they say they're the same, but that's not quite true. What were the years of the actual Sunset Highway?

Edited by sit properly

Dave,

Yep, I completely understand the stairstep roads. It's fun to see them because instead of right angles, they're usually just sharp curves. Rt 66 in Illinois and Missouri has a ton of these.

I've seen some in WA (on maps, not so much in person, except the brick road @ 196th AVE).

I get what you're saying about No and then Yes. But even "deeper" than that is that there are NPH segments that were abandoned prior to 1925, when the YT moved north.

Before '25, was the Sunset Highway and NPH the same exact road from Waterville to Spokane?

It's these old segments that really make me smile. US 2 is a beautiful road and I'm glad it wasn't made into an interstate, but the old roads around it are wonderful. Can't wait to see your finished map and compare it to mine (which is pure speculation). I'm interested to see how close my guesses are to what's actually correct. I'm betting I'm close and if I am, high fives for everyone.

From Coulee City to Hartline isn't surprising. I thought something was up there, but wasn't sure how far away from US 2 it wandered. From Hartline, I assume it went through Hanson as well, before squiggling down Hanson Station Road to Almira. There's also some suspicious looking old alignments around Almira (Maxwell RD > Childers RD > US 2 - I'm pretty convinced that that is an old alignment, but might be later than NPH or YT)

So the million-penny question is how many of these segments were still used by 1925. Which were not? I'm assuming the Sunset Highway used all, from the earliest till it was decommissioned. *

This is exciting. Can't wait to get back out there.

As for the scooters, the Ruckus is great, but if the Rough House is cheaper, I'd go for that. Genuine Scooters is a great company and, like Honda, has great dealer support. So definitely feel safe with either.

-Eric

*PS - Wikipedia says that the Sunset Highway existed from 1937 – 1964, which is actually the dates of Primary State Highway 2 - they say they're the same, but that's not quite true. What were the years of the actual Sunset Highway?

Eric

Here I am a 25 plus year resident of Washington, a roadie, and history buff and I can’t give you the exact history of Washington’s named roads. It is one of those things I have promised myself to pursue, but never have done definatively. It guess it takes a state newbie to ask the key questions!

Let me start with what I think is true from my memory, then I will do a little research I should have done 20 years ago, to nail down the actual details.

Fairly early (maybe 1911-15….not later, maybe earlier) in this state’s auto road development a number of main or trunk roads were identified and given numbers and names. I’m not sure if this was a state government action (as with a road department) or spurred by emerging auto clubs. In any event, maps of Washington roads from at least the mid teens usually included a legend with the Sunset Highway, Inland Empire Highway, Ocean Beaches Highway, etc labeled.

My impression is that this naming and numbering occurred before the National Parks Highway or the Yellowstone Trail were charted in this state. I am virtually certain that the state names were always better recognized in Washington than the transcontinental names. Thus when you drove from Seattle to Spokane, as an example, you took the Sunset Highway (NPH) or the Sunset Highway and the Inland Empire Highway (YT).

It might well be that the National Parks Highway from the beginning followed the Sunset Highway exactly for its entire length in Washington, and that the same was true of the Yellowstone Trail by 1925. When I have followed either, the state road markers still often use Sunset Highway or Inland Empire (or even IEH on some street sign in south eastern Washington.).

John or someone with a lot more knowledge than I have can correct me, but it would be logical for the YT and NPH to follow state identified, and presumably better maintained, roads.

I think I read somewhere the history of the road naming in this state, so I will now try to remember where!

Dave

PS. A quick review of the history materials on line at the Washington State Department of Transportation turned up a pdf copy of “History of Roads and Highways in the State of Washington,” which I recall reading. It states on page 56 that the 1913 State Legislature named eight primary highways and fixed their routes. I am willing to bet that included the Sunset and Inland Empire Highways, and the others I have observed on map legends. So the name and route of the Sunset, etc were fixed in 1913, before either of the transcontinentals came into being.

I just updated two of my maps based on the maps that Dave posted and the comments John made here:

http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=1180

As for when, it had to have been prior to 1915 as I have a PDF of a 1915 map with the names/numbers on it. And it looks like you've figured it out. 1913. Big year for roads! It was officially a year after the YT was organized, but I bet it wasn't till 1913 or after that it was figured out for Washington (egads! I should know this... definitely by 1915 with that race and all). Also, the Lincoln Highway was founded in 1913. A year after National Old Trails Highway too! (ok, maybe 1912 was a bigger year, but still).

I think you're definitely right about the state names being more popular in Washington than the national names. Everywhere I read anything about old roads, they're almost always mentioning the state names rather than national names. Made it a bit confusing at first.

Ok, fun mapping night. Thanks!

Eric

• 11 months later...

I'll be taking a two-day quick trip across Washington traveling as much as possible upon the old Yellowstone Trail. Unlike other old roads that I've traveled (Route 66, etc), there's no guide book to tell me to "turn left at crappy dirt road and hope for the best." So I had to gather some common sense, maps, hearsay, luck and prayers and map it out myself.

I think I done good. But certainly not perfect. Not by a long shot.

Here are links to how I'll be driving it with a little explanation along the way. Again, much of this is speculation. I could be wrong on a good many things. If I am and you have another idea, please correct me. I'm not anything close to an expert on this, I'm just having fun. These are my *driving* directions. I'm trying to drive upon every available section of the YT. Obviously, with some sections that's not possible.

Each link will go to a map on GoogleMaps.

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Yesler+Way&daddr=S+Jackson+St+to:18th+Ave+S+to:19th+Ave+to:E+Madison+St+to:Lake+Shore+Plaza%2FLakeshore+Plaza+Dr+to:Kirkland+Ave+to:Kirkland+Way+to:Cleveland+St%2FWA-908+to:Avondale+Way+to:NE+Union+Hill+Rd+to:196th+Ave+NE+to:47.567724,-121.887732&geocode=FWBY1gIdWFS1-A%3BFXRO1gId1Hm1-A%3BFbBP1gIdmra1-A%3BFd1Z1gIdvru1-A%3BFSTh1gIdijW2-A%3BFcB51wIdGzy3-A%3BFUR41wId0Fy3-A%3BFQuC1wIdYoq3-A%3BFadw1wIdW4u4-A%3BFdBu1wIdNr64-A%3BFcJ61wId8vC4-A%3BFQ1Z1wIdFzm5-A%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=12&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11&sll=47.570735,-121.907644&sspn=0.024437,0.077248&ie=UTF8&z=14" target="_blank">Seattle to Fall City (early more northerly alignment according to 1917 & 1924 Blue Books and others)</a></b>

*YT used 4th Ave, south to Jackson, but you can no longer go that way - used 2nd instead.

*YT used 19th Ave north from Jackson, but it's now a park. Used 18th and Yessler to bypass back to 19th.

*YT crossed Lake Washington via a Ferry from Madison Ave to Kirkwood Way (at Marina Park, Kirkwood). You can see how I detoured.

*I'm pretty sure I'm wrong from Kirkland to Redmond. Help!

*The use of the famous "brick road" is a bit of a mystery. The 1924 alignment definitely used it, but the 1917 alignment, which is almost identical to the 1924 alignment, did not.

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=pioneer+square,+seattle,+wa&daddr=Rainier+Ave+S%2FWA-167+to:Rainier+Ave+S%2FWA-167+to:Sunset+Blvd+N%2FWA-900+to:Renton+Issaquah+Rd+SE%2FWA-900+to:NW+Maple+St+to:47.529952,-122.032356+to:SE+High+Point+Way+to:SE+Fall+City+Snoqualmie+Rd%2FWA-202%2FWA-203&hl=en&geocode=%3BFVCl1QId9hm2-A%3BFeD31AIdvKO2-A%3BFQyZ1AId_HO3-A%3BFdj11AIduiW5-A%3BFZZy1QId4Im5-A%3B%3BFaNV1QId1c66-A%3BFbzU1QIdEiW8-A&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=6&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7&sll=47.524156,-122.020683&sspn=0.026314,0.077248&ie=UTF8&ll=47.548262,-122.082138&spn=0.210413,0.617981&z=11" target="_blank">Seattle to Fall City (later more southerly alignment - post 1925ish)</a></b>

*This is mostly based upon Hobb's 1926 map/guide. There's very little to go on, so much of this is speculation. The only road I know for sure is Rainier Ave.

Any help would be helpful.

There was an even earlier alignment through Seattle, but the routing from the 1916 Blue Book makes no sense when compared with modern Seattle.

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=fall+city,+wa&daddr=SE+Fish+Hatchery+Rd+to:SE+Fish+Hatchery+Rd+to:Mill+Pond+Rd+to:Meadowbrook-North+Bend+Rd+SE%2FSE+Park+St+to:Unknown+road+to:SE+North+Bend+Way+to:Frontage+Rd+to:Camp+Mason+Rd%2FTinkham+Rd+to:NFD+5800+Rd+to:Yellowstone+Trail+Rd+to:WA-906+to:NFD+4832+Rd+to:Monahan+Rd+to:Cabin+Creek+Rd+to:Ranger+Station+Rd+to:Cascade+Ave+to:W+1st+St+to:Airport+Rd+to:Masterson+Rd+to:Red+Bridge+Rd+to:Swauk+Prairie+Rd+to:Swauk+Prairie+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:US-97%2FWA-97&geocode=%3BFfrA1QIde3G8-A%3BFUSY1QIdB6-8-A%3BFf9D1QIdRia9-A%3BFcAX1QIdRHm9-A%3BFWHD1AId26S9-A%3BFS6A1AId0iK--A%3BFSfd0wId-Yq_-A%3BFT1F0wIdhg3B-A%3BFZ5c0wId_OrC-A%3BFZ-F0wIdO3rD-A%3BFQdy0wIdLWPD-A%3BFcvP0gIduhHE-A%3BFa_Z0AIdNTLG-A%3BFSvS0AId4THG-A%3BFZAl0AIdY0TK-A%3BFaMs0AIdP2fK-A%3BFXgo0AIdOmfK-A%3BFcwN0AId4cDL-A%3BFWj_zwIdPvzL-A%3BFcEQ0AIdY2bM-A%3BFalH0AIdc_DN-A%3BFfg40AId6vXN-A%3BFXA10AIdsBbO-A%3BFYNJ0AIddSzO-A&hl=en&mra=dpe&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23&sll=47.55307,-121.854601&sspn=0.012223,0.038624&ie=UTF8&ll=47.260942,-121.25473&spn=0.393306,1.235962&z=10" target="_blank">Fall City to east of Cle Elum</a></b> (updated 04.30.09)

*The routing around Snoqualmie is from the 1917 Blue Book. The 1924 alignment entered Snoqualmie via WA 202, took a left at River ST and a right on Park Street, meeting up with the 1917 YT.

*Also, the routing around Snoqualmie Falls as shown on the map is from 1917. By 1924, the YT used modern 202.

*Since much of the YT after Exit 34 of I90 is buried under the interstate, I've marked places where I believe there to be old sections of the road. Most of these are side-trips and not "through" roads.

*From Exit 54 to 71 - Most of the old YT is still out there. It's marked on my maps (thanks John!)

*Exit 70 is a bit confusing. You exit, cross I90, left on Sparks, left on NFD 4828 (crossing I90 again) and right on the frontage RD. There's an old bridge and I'm betting the frontage road was old something, but it now seems doubtful that it was YT. If you retrace your route, but instead of getting back on I90, you cross it and continue on Lake Easton RD to Easton, reentering I90 at exit 71 (though not before following Railroad Street till it dead ends), you are traveling on a continuation of whatever road that bridge was on. seems doubtful now that it was YT.

*Exit 74 - Nelson Siding Road was not YT.

*The routing through and around Cle Elum matches up with Hobbs Guide and matches the mileage of the 1924 Blue Book exactly (yay!!)

*YT never used WA 10. And if you want to get REALLY technical, it never used WA 970. Though you have to do a little driving on 970, it's only because the original road no longer exists. You can see what I mean at the eastern terminus of this section of my mapping.

From here, the YT divided. Taking modern US 97 South took you on the older alignment. Taking US 97 North took you on the newer alignment.

I'll be taking the older alignment east and the newer alignment west, on my return trip.

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-97%2FWA-97&daddr=Burke+Rd+to:Bettas+Rd+to:Notcho+Ln+to%3a%44ry+Creek+Rd+to%3a%44ry+Creek+Rd+to:N+A+St%2FN+Main+St+to:N+Main+St+to:Umtanum+Rd+to:N+Wenas+Rd+to:WA-823%2FN+Wenas+Rd+to:S+1st+St+to:S+1st+St%2FMain+St+to:Main+St+to:US-12+to:46.485599,-120.407109+to:E+Parker+Heights+Rd+to:Buena+Rd+to:Cutler+Way+to:zillah,+wa&geocode=FUhE0AIdFCXO-A%3BFSgq0AIdVCDO-A%3BFRp1zwIdKArO-A%3BFVfizgIdndPO-A%3BFYKXzQId9NjP-A%3BFeFdzQIdOjrQ-A%3BFV8-zQIdQpHQ-A%3BFTggzQIdpJLQ-A%3BFcCpywIdgMvO-A%3BFV_yyAIdY6HQ-A%3BFTcayAIdKATR-A%3BFfEFxwId7UHR-A%3BFUuExgId65rR-A%3BFfQ3xgIdu67R-A%3BFQJ5xQId12DS-A%3B%3BFRJCxQIdqg_T-A%3BFYJ6xAIdniHU-A%3BFXpBxAIdxHjU-A%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=15&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18&sll=46.486515,-120.394278&sspn=0.012469,0.038624&ie=UTF8&ll=46.405256,-120.259438&spn=0.024976,0.077248&z=14" target="_blank">East of Cle Elum to Zillah</a></b>

*In Ellensburg, it's very clear that YT came into town on Dry Creek RD/15th, which curved right to meet Main. That curve can't be done now, so a short detour of Water & 14th Street to Main is necessary.

*The routing of everything after Ellensburg is 100% pure speculation. I really have no idea. I'm just guessing. If anyone has any details, help me out.

*I've got a big hunch that US 12 through Sawyer and Flint wasn't the YT, but I'm not sure where it was.

*Going into Zillah, I'm pretty sure YT did the right angle thing. I love that.

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-12&daddr=Cutler+Way+to:US-12+to:Outlook+Rd+to:Outlook+Rd+to:Grandview+Pavement+Rd+to:Old+Prosser+Rd+to:Old+Prosser+Rd+to:W+Old+Inland+Empire+Hwy+to:W+Van+Giesen+St%2FWA-224+to:George+Washington+Way+to:Tapteal+Dr+to:W+Yellowstone+Ave+to:W+Yellowstone+Ave+to:SE+Columbia+Dr+to:W+Lewis+St+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Byrnes+Rd+to:Byrnes+Rd+to:Wallula+Ave+to:W+Rose+St+to:E+Isaacs+Ave+to:E+Isaacs+Ave&geocode=FR9lxAIdazLU-A%3BFVEtxAId-5fU-A%3BFYPJwwIdxmXV-A%3BFQ_2wgIdk3fX-A%3BFRv1wgIdoWfY-A%3BFV-8wQIdj3jZ-A%3BFcSQwQIdhI7a-A%3BFaQtwQIdL83a-A%3BFeGdwQIdLvzd-A%3BFfaFwgIdgJXi-A%3BFXc6wgIdQgfk-A%3BFaR1wQIdIaDk-A%3BFb5nwQIdofzk-A%3BFWFdwQId3lfl-A%3BFXdTwQIdCbHl-A%3BFT1hwQIdl4bm-A%3BFZ-7vgIdOVzq-A%3BFW_dvgId9pfq-A%3BFdb7vgIdUEPr-A%3BFYXVvgIdBqTr-A%3BFR6ovgId1urr-A%3BFa7EvgIdOH7x-A%3BFR7UvgIdCPrx-A%3BFRARvwIduNry-A%3BFf8fvwIdcB7z-A&hl=en&mra=dpe&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23&sll=46.137203,-118.936701&sspn=0.025098,0.055275&ie=UTF8&ll=46.060129,-118.350563&spn=0.050267,0.11055&z=13" target="_blank">Zillah to Walla Walla</a></b>

*After Granger, I'm not sure why I think YT was on Outlook RD and not Gap RD. Maybe it was both, maybe it was neither. Any ideas?

*The Routing south of Sunnyside is a totally mystery to me. I "know" that YT used the Grandview Pavement RD, but not sure how it got there. Thankfully after Grandview, there's a road called Old Inland Empire Hwy. I'm hoping that's YT as well.

*The routing through West Richland and Richland feels a bit wrong. But I don't know what else it could be.

*Though unmarked on my map (Google wouldn't let me add another destination), opposite Dodd RD after Burbank seems to be an old section of road. It's just a small stretch and was probably either where the bridge crossed or where the water rose after being dammed somewhere.

*I've also got some confusion about the roads west of Reese. Which was YT?

*The routing through Walla Walla is pure speculation.

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=E+Isaacs+Ave&daddr=Unknown+road+to:Hagen+Rd+to:Hastings+Hill+Rd+to:WA-127+to%3a%44usty+Rd+to:Musgrave+Rd+to:Wilcox+Rd+to:Almota+Rd+to:46.87404,-117.364712&geocode=FQ4xvwIdXF7z-A%3BFSu6xQIdmjf4-A%3BFZwkxgIdH5H6-A%3BFT6mxwIddyX7-A%3BFawRygId2HX8-A%3BFexGygIdqtL8-A%3BFeA8ygIdmOP--A%3BFX5YygId44r_-A%3BFWWFygId3IsA-Q%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=9&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&sll=46.873101,-117.358189&sspn=0.049522,0.11055&ie=UTF8&ll=46.868055,-117.390804&spn=0.198106,0.4422&z=11" target="_blank">Walla Walla to Colfax</a></b>

*Between Delaney and Dodge, I think YT was just north of US 12. I doubt most of it is drivable.

*Before Central Ferry, the YT used to cross at a ferry just upstream (north). I think it should be accessible via Hastings Hill RD. I'm sort of confused about this and I'm doubting I'll figure it out anytime soon.

*In Wilcox, I'll turn south onto Wilcox RD and follow it and Penawawa RD as far as I can, hopefully to the river where the ferry crossed to Hastings Hill RD. I'll then return the way I came. I'll take a right on Musgrave RD, which I (for some reason) believe to be YT after they cut off the Penawawa ferry.

*There is some speculation (by me) that Wilcox was cut off at some point. If that's so, then I bet they used Colfax Airport RD to go into Colfax. Dave has mentioned that there are old road graters along this road. I'm not really convinced that the airport road was ever YT, but I'll check out the graters anyway!

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=E+James+St%2FS+Main+St%2FUS-195%2FWA-195&daddr=Fisher+Rd%2FMcMeekin+Rd+to:McMeekin+Rd+to:Cashup+Flat+Rd+to:Klaveano+Rd+to:Old+Thornton+Hwy+to:Old+Thornton+Hwy+to:Old+Thornton+Hwy+to:US-195%2FS+Whitman+Ave+to:S+Old+State+Rd+195%2FUS-195+to:S+Old+State+Rd+195%2FUS-195+to:S+Old+State+Rd+195+to:S+Old+State+Hwy+195+to:S+Inland+Empire+Way+to:W+3rd+Ave+to:E+Sprague+Ave+to:E+Sprague+Ave+to:E+Sprague+Ave+to:E+1st+Ave%2FE+Appleway+Blvd+to:E+Appleway+Blvd+to:E+Sprague+Ave+to:E+Appleway+Ave+to:E+Appleway+Ave+to:47.710021,-117.024479&geocode=FSo_ywIdBigB-Q%3BFZZbzQId60IB-Q%3BFa9xzQIdpSgB-Q%3BFcwPzgIdc_EA-Q%3BFUWTzgIdHfgA-Q%3BFfrTzgIdPeUA-Q%3BFft9zwId2a8A-Q%3BFe3fzwIdOecA-Q%3BFVml0AIdQRkB-Q%3BFaqd0QIdQ0QB-Q%3BFUyl0gIdIyQB-Q%3BFciC0wIdugEB-Q%3BFYHK0wIdGuIA-Q%3BFdbP1gIdJv__-A%3BFUAi1wIdNjkA-Q%3BFfAw1wIdlsUA-Q%3BFTIx1wIdCgEB-Q%3BFUox1wIdH00B-Q%3BFY4p1wId3RsC-Q%3BFYAo1wIdMLYC-Q%3BFRQw1wIdvQ8E-Q%3BFXVF1wIdRYQE-Q%3BFUKJ1wId1HgF-Q%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=23&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22&sll=47.706816,-117.031474&sspn=0.012187,0.038624&ie=UTF8&ll=47.710455,-117.024522&spn=0.012186,0.038624&z=15" target="_blank">Colfax to State Line, ID</a></b>

*Into the Cashup (which is a really fun town name), YT when into it from the south on Cashup Flat RD. For some reason, Googlemaps won't let me do that.

*Around Rosalia, there's the original YT arrow on a RR overpass. I don't know if it's on 195 or old 195 (assuming "old"). That would determine where the YT was.

*Going into Spokane from the south, I'm a bit confused. My best guess is what I have. My second best guess (and the one I wish it were) is, starting just west of Hangman Valley Golf Course and just west of 195 at Hatch RD. It would loop back to 195 and then turn off right again just south of Campion Park. From there, Hatch RD to High Drive to Cedar ST to Walnut or Maple and then to Sprague (which you can't take east anymore).

*The Hobb's Guide is for the later, northern alignment, so it's no help here at all (till later, of course, where it helps quite a bit).

*On my map, I use 3rd Ave because Sprague is a one way street. I move to it when it becomes both ways.

*I'm fairly certain of the Appleway alignment just east of Spokane. I do believe that it wasn't always this - there was a slightly more northern alignment, but I don't know which came first (or if I'm even correct).

The Way Back! (The later, northern alignment)

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=W+Seltice+Way&daddr=E+Wellesley+Ave+to:E+Trent+Ave%2FWA-290+to:E+Sprague+Ave+to:W+1st+Ave+to:S+Cannon+St+to:S+Cannon+St+to:Sunset+Rd+to:Alexander+Rd+E+to:Brommer+Rd+N+to:Sunset+Hwy+Rd+E+to:Sunset+Hwy+Rd+E+to:Sunset+Hwy+Rd+E+to:Sunset+Hwy+Rd+E+to:Sunset+Hwy+Rd+E+to:4+Corners+Rd%2FOld+Sr+2+to:1st+St+to:47.64972,-118.166885+to:Mt+View+Cemetery+Rd+E+to:Fictenberg+Rd+E+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Chip+Dump+Rd%2FChipsite+Rd+E+to:US-2%2FW+Watson+St&geocode=FXDn1wIdyiIG-Q%3BFbDZ1wIdjI8E-Q%3BFUh51wIdPAAC-Q%3BFd0w1wIdzZ8A-Q%3BFbAt1wId8AkA-Q%3BFYAo1wIdrPv_-A%3BFTYd1wIdcPv_-A%3BFXj81gIdSlP6-A%3BFeM01wIdAef5-A%3BFfU31wIdvcf5-A%3BFcFR1wIdg-v4-A%3BFYJQ1wIdlNT4-A%3BFYJP1wIdEmP4-A%3BFTxt1wIdEkH3-A%3BFexr1wIdy4n2-A%3BFbo_1wIdTZH1-A%3BFeQU1wIdbEv1-A%3B%3BFVr41gId-5v0-A%3BFcoA1wIdZm3y-A%3BFdLB1wIdaknx-A%3BFWHn1wId4fPw-A%3BFelm2AId9C7w-A%3BFSWj2AIdH9zv-A%3BFRy92AIdIoLv-A&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=17&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23&dirflg=h&sll=47.649952,-118.178129&sspn=0.026251,0.055275&ie=UTF8&ll=47.756579,-118.518105&spn=0.026197,0.055275&z=14" target="_blank">State Line, ID to Creston</a></b>

*First, I have pretty much zero idea about this routing into Spokane. It would be nifty, but I don't believe I have any real proof of this. Or maybe I did and now I forget. I do know that it *was* as good road at the time.

*Ignore the weird little loop thing when Wellesely Ave meets Trent RD/290. GoogleMaps insists that I can't enter 290 without making a weird little loop. I assume they're wrong and so should you.

*I don't know how the YT got to Sprague Ave. But according to Hobb's Guide (1926), it did. The Routing through Spokane (from Sprague > west) is almost like Hobb's. You can't do it anymore due to the interstate. Hobb's has it: Sprague > Riverside > 1st > Cannon > 6th > Lindeke. Today, you have to travel: Sprague > Riverside > 1st > Cannon > W Sunset Blvd. Here, 6th Ave is covered by I90's exits 279 and 280. Lindeke is partially covered/moved, etc. The routing on my map is as close as you can get (though it wouldn't surprise me if modern day Rosamond Ave was used).

*At Deep Creek, there's an old section called Old Sunset Highway. I wanted to put this on the routing too, but Google wouldn't let me use another destination point.

*Alexander Road comes up quite a lot in this part of Washington. Anyone know what it was?

*Mapping the north is easy because "Old Sunset Hwy," etc still exist. I just assume that this was also YT.

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-2%2FW+Watson+St&daddr=US-2+to:Lartzen+Rd+E+to:Wilbur+Airport+Rd+E+to:Bandy+Rd+E+to:Govan+Rd+N+to:Andersen+Rd+E%2FBruce+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Maxwell+Rd+E+to:Maxwell+Rd+E+to:36-NE+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Sulphur+Springs+Rd+SE+to:Unknown+road+to:Baseline+Rd+E+to:2+Rd+NW+to:Columbia+River+Bridge%2FFloyd+the+Barber+Memorial+Bridge%2FStevens+St%2FUS-2%2FWA-285+to:Easy+St+to:Easy+St+to:Easy+St+to:Lower+Monitor+Rd+to:Lower+Monitor+Rd&geocode=FRy92AIdIoLv-A%3BFZTM2AIdqPLu-A%3BFX_F2AId5rDu-A%3BFWK92AId9ins-A%3BFVC22AIdJDDr-A%3BFWB-2AIdABLr-A%3BFexJ2AId3avq-A%3BFelF2AIdh-jp-A%3BFbgx2AId96Pp-A%3BFW4A2AIdlgLp-A%3BFYLU1wIdAZzo-A%3BFRaB1gIdnYrm-A%3BFfyj1gIdntPi-A%3BFSNU1gId3u7e-A%3BFYt41gId-xfe-A%3BFYBT1gId7JHd-A%3BFVyB1gId3zvd-A%3BFRn_1gIduujW-A%3BFRRr0wIdQHXU-A%3BFb1D1AIdYdPT-A%3BFZNc1AIdDtLT-A%3BFRpu1AId6o_T-A%3BFd2I1AIdxi7T-A%3BFdaY1AIdGKnS-A&hl=en&mra=mr&mrcr=0&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22&dirflg=h&sll=47.619934,-119.747715&sspn=0.052531,0.11055&ie=UTF8&ll=47.417634,-120.302353&spn=0.026367,0.055275&z=14" target="_blank">Creston to Monitor</a></b> (Updated 05.12.09)

*There are TONS of zig-zaggy wild speculations here! I have reasons for all of them, but pretty well zero proof.

*Just after Coulee City and right after crossing the dam, to the left, right before WA 17, there's an "unknown road" that I believe is how the original YT meets US 2.

*The old section between G RD SE (yes, that's a road name) and F RD SE is probably *not* drivable. I saw it and was tempted to take the sedan over it, but ehh. I could do it in a scooter though. And will. You can see the old road pretty well from US 2 though.

*The Sulpher Springs loop might very well be not accessible. I couldn't find it when I drove it before.

*The road up over Moses Coulee (just after Sulpher Spring loop) may or may not be private property. The ground on either side of the road is owned by some hunting group. It's not very well marked and if they really wanted to keep people out, they'd gate it. I don't know how much land they own or if any of the road is private property. As always, tread very lightly and use your head.

*Just west of Waterville, the old road used a different alignment to make the climb. Google says that there's still a road there, but I'm doubting that it will head all the way back to US 2. I'll find out.

*The original bridge from East Wenatchee to Wenatchee went from 9th Ave (in East Wenatchee) to Bridge ST (in Wenatchee).

*I'd love to know why Badger Mountain RD wasn't used.

*East of Monitor, I really have no idea. Maybe it was Lower Monitor RD, maybe it was Easy Street the whole way. Who knows?

<b><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=monitor,+wa&daddr=Old+Monitor+Rd+to:Old+Monitor+Rd+to:Selfs+Rd%2FSunset+Way+to:Eels+Rd+to:Sunset+Hwy+to:Flowery+Divide+Rd+to:US-2%2FUS-97+to:Main+St+to:Campbell+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:Old+Blewett+Hwy+to:W+Ballard+Hill+Rd+to:Red+Bridge+Rd+to:Airport+Rd+to:W+2nd+St%2FWA-970&geocode=%3BFbao1AIdvnHS-A%3BFdDt1AIdHzbS-A%3BFeLr1AId6mHS-A%3BFRIK1QId1SLS-A%3BFWIb1QId473R-A%3BFccp1QIdBlrR-A%3BFbRr1QIdplbQ-A%3BFVlj1QIdH3fQ-A%3BFfhF1QIdqWzP-A%3BFePh1AIdqUHP-A%3BFSyg1AIdYSjP-A%3BFQI40AIdYm_N-A%3BFfIp0AId0KnM-A%3BFc4N0AIdib7L-A%3BFdgn0AIdgJnK-A&hl=en&mra=mr&mrcr=0&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14&dirflg=h&sll=47.546669,-120.604134&sspn=0.012224,0.038624&ie=UTF8&ll=47.379754,-120.547485&spn=0.39242,1.235962&z=10" target="_blank">Monitor to Cle Elum</a></b>

*The weird loop thing just after Monitor is intentional. I'm not sure where the YT was here. Wherever it was, US 2 cuts it apart. I'm pretty sure you can't drive it like it was. I do the loop thing to drive as much as possible.

*According to Hobbs, the YT was on the south side of the Wenatchee River. US 2 is on the north.

*Dryden was on YT, but you have to loop around it to drive it. It probably crossed the river to Motel Street and connected back to US 2. While there, please visit Dead Man's Hill RD. It overlooks Dryden and is really beautiful.

*You can see on my map, that I pretty well follow US 97 over Blewett Pass. There's a big bulge sticking out to the east. I have a hard time believing this is the original road. NDF 7320 to 9715 is a good assumption for the original road. Also, 7320 > 200 > 113 > 9714 (or some combination thereof) might be correct also.

*Some sources claim that Liberty was on the YT. But I'm not sure how it all fits in here. I'm betting Dave knows.

And that's it! Everything else has been covered.

Again, these are my speculations. If you have other ideas, let me know. I'll change the maps and mark when they were updated. I'd like to keep this as a work-in-progress. At least until there is some official book/site, etc about it.

-Eric

Hi,

I’m Jim Marx, and am planning a bicycle ride along the Yellowstone Trail this summer from Puget Sound to Plymouth Rock. I will start my ride in Seattle on May 23rd. Your map is very helpful in getting me from the terminus in Seattle to Kirkland. Unfortunately, I will have to pick an alternate route from there because of not biking on I-90. My current thinking is to take Hwy 2 across and pick up the trail again at Hwy 97. Thanks for your help. Great work!

You'll also have to use I-90 for several sections in Idaho and Montana, especially in western Montana (west of Butte, MT and between Bozeman and Livinston, MT) and on a couple of stretches of I-94 on either side of Miles City, MT. Many western USA states allow bicycling on their rural interstates because in many places, there is no other way to get from point A to point B and the relatively light traffic doesn't create a safety hazard. Just stay as far to the right as possible (Interstates have paved right shoulders) and you should be OK. I have been researching the YT's detailed route off and on over the past few years and have it pretty well nailed down from the Great Lakes area (western New York) all the way to Livingston, MT with several parts both farther east and further west also accurately determined.

You'll also have to use the I-94 bridge to cross the Saint Croix River between Minnesota and Wisconsin (east suburban MStP area), but that bridge includes a separate pedestrian/bicycle 'trail' facility.

We'll be waiting for you here in downtown Appleton, WI! :-)

Good luck!

Mike

Edited by Wisguy

Hi there!

Thanks, hopefully the maps are of some help. Biking US 2 will be a much better (and still Yellowstone!) option. I have some posts about that. There are TONS of old alignments out there, including an amazing one through Moses Coulee. You definitely won't be disappointed. If you can, however, get a car and check out Denny Creek Road on I-90. It's the only thing you'll really be missing by not taking the interstate.

Actually, that's not completely true - there's also an old alignment north of Yakima called Wenas Road. You should explore that sometime too.

Anyway, have a great trip! And definitely keep us updated on it.

-Eric

Also, keep in mind that MANY of the through-navigable sections of the original Yellowstone Trail routings in the west and high plains (west of the MStP exurbs, but this includes several lengthy segments between Owen and Stevens Point in central Wisconsin) are gravel surfaced. There is also a very short gravel-surfaced segment by US 35 just west of Hamlet in northern Indiana, but it also includes an out-of-service bridge and is easily detoured around. You might want to consider selecting and equipping your bicycle for such roads.

Mike

Edited by Wisguy

• 2 years later...

I have been working on the Sunset Hwy / Yellowstone Trail in Washington. So far I have come up with this map of the route from Seattle to Fall City. in the early days as you know the route used the Kirkland ferry from Seattle. In the 20's it routed through Renton. In 1925 the State added the Bothell route as an alternate. The route from Kirkland to Redmond had 3 routes from what I have found. The first one is the Old Redmond Road. After leaving the ferry you took a right onto State St and went South to SE 68th St and then continued East as it turned into 70th St. 70th St turns into Old Redmond Rd and continues into Redmond.

Another route that I am not sure was ever built was the Kirkland Redmond Shortline rd. I have read that it was mapped but I am not sure if it was ever completed. I could use help on this.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215143630248322302759.0004acae2dd69399729c6&msa=0

This 3rd route is the one everyone knows about. It is the 1923 route East on SR 508 into Redmond.

Once in Redmond the trail followed the accepted route to Union Hill Road which turned onto the Old Brick Rd. / SE196th Ave NE. I believe this road was used to circumvent the water from Evans Creek. I believe the old route continued south to NE50th St and turned East to connect with SR202. The newer Alignment was built by 1915 if I am correct. As you can see from my map the route it took in these early years. I have not validated this but from the maps I have seen the route followed Fish Hatchery rd. and went up the hill SE of the current alignment. The route you see today is the 1925 alignment.

This is my theory of the route based on the maps, my personal trips and the topography.

More to come

Edited by Curt C

Curt,

That is an awesome piece of work! I hope John Ridge and Mark Mowbray (YT Exec. Dir), as well as Eric see it.

I haven't digested it all, but even at first glance it answers some questions I have had. Nice work!!

I do some pieces from time to time for the Yellowstone Trail Arrow, and I bet they would like to take a look at your work and perhaps include it in an issue. If you are so inclined, let me know and I will send you via e-mail a contact.

Dave

Curt,

I am studying your map, and it is really a great resource. It definitely gives me some places to drive the next time I get in the area. I am curious what you used as reference. I assume it was a number of sources.

I am more impressed the more I get into the map.

It makes me appreciate what has changed in technology in the past 20 or fewer years. When I started messing with this stuff, the only maps were in libraries and usually across the country somewhere. What a difference!!

Dave