American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Shelley Bridge On Pre Us99 Route

Old US99 has proven to be a treasure of old bridges and hidden alignments. It amazes me that even though I have driven 99 probably 50 times between the Northwest and the Bay area, I have never fully appreciated some of its goodies. And there are more I had to pass up to make my schedule. I have been a two lane road fan since before some of you were born, and it goes to show you that an old dog can find new tricks!

Like US 99 in my area followed the route of the old Cowlitz Trail, in Northern California and Southern Oregon, it followed (more of less) the famed California-Oregon Stage Road. In later posts I will share some photos of the little heralded stage stops that still stand along the route, but here I want to share an old bridge.

The route between Yreka and the Oregon border was part of the stage road, connecting Redding, California with towns in Oregon before there were rail connections. The California Oregon Stage Line has an exciting history, and remnants of the route are visible today. But that is another story.

We know that in 1914 the Pacific Highway followed the twisting route of the Shasta River Road, and that parts of that route are visible from the 1928-31 US99 route, as can be seen in the shots of the 1931 Pioneer Bridge elsewhere in this section.

I would need access to my Siskiyou County books which are at home to know when road traffic, by stage or automobile, started going along that twisting, at least thrice bridged, water level road, but probably before that time, stage coaches and early automobile traffic took the Anderson Grade Road.

The Anderson Grade Road avoided the multiple crossings of the substantial Shasta River but it traded for steep grades. It is easily followed on maps, including Google Earth and Delorme TOPO USA. About 3.3 miles north of Yreka you can turn off old 99 onto the Anderson Grade road, and after about .75 miles at 41.7723, -122.5928 you will come to the venerable 1899 Shelley Bridge.

By now you recognize my 3D format. Cross your eyes until the two images merge in a center stereo view. If you have a problem, try putting your finger on the intersection of the two photos, and then bring your finger toward your eyes, focusing on your finger. Because this will cross your eyes, you can look over the top of your finger at the new center 3D image…bingo!

ARShelleyBridge3D.jpg

The bridge still has its plank road deck, and some vintage road railings along its east approach. The east approach is fenced off, and the deck is sufficiently rotted to discourage walking on it from the open west side, No Trespassing sign or not!

ARShelleyEast.jpg

HERE you can see a Quicktime video (2.7Mb) of the bridge in all its glory, complete with the sounds of the stream, just as the traveler did in 1899 or 1910.

When you look across the bridge in the late afternoon sun, with its worn wood decking and vintage guard rails, you truly expect a horse and wagon or 1910 auto to come up the approach ramp. These are the bridges you just gotta love, unrestored, and looking just as they did when the last wagon or auto crossed.

More bridge goodies to follow.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!