American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Moses Coulee And Lots Of Other Stuff Along The Way

Yesterday, my friends Sarah, Cole and I hoped in the car and took a 450 mile trip to some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen. We went from Seattle, over the Cascades to the old Yellowstone Trail, over the Columbia and to the desert, seeing the ancient riverbeds known as Coulees.

p1040616-300x169.jpg p1040680-300x169.jpg

We explored old sections of the Yellowstone Trail and other roads, making me fall completely in love with the state of Washington.

I rode much of yesterday’s trip on the beginning of the last leg of Scoot 66. Oddly, I remember very, very little of it.

p1040771-300x169.jpg p1040774-300x169.jpg

The day was packed full (too full) of fun and I didn’t get a chance to check out everything I wanted to. Also, right when we stumbled up Frenchman’s Coulee (very literally, some of the most beautiful land I’ve ever seen), the battery on my camera died a horrible death. I nearly did the same. It was a real bummer.

Here are my pictures and a much more detailed description of the day.

You can start at the beginning and read along! There are 200 or so pictures, and a lot of description, so if you like this kind of stuff, this is the kind of stuff you'll like.

- Eric

p1040784.jpg

I have only gotten as far as Bush House in Index, but you have already delighted me!!! I worked for several years in Bothell and know that area well, but you discovered some roads I didn’t know existed!

It broke my heart that the Bush House closed! Sheila and I spent our very first out of town night there right after we were married! It had just been rehabilitated into a B&B. We selected it as a “romantic” getaway for newlyweds from a B&B guidebook…and it was anything but.

It eventually achieved some level of grace, and while we never stayed there again, we did eat there on trips across the mountains. Our “romantic” getaway was distinguished by windows that didn’t close, wet paint, and shivering cold. They had a “bar” in what I think was a garage, and it was warmed by one electric heater and the temperature was in the 30’s. I won’t forget that night, but I still hate to see it closed.

Hey, did I tell you you would be singing the praises of Washington…..it didn’t take you long to convert to a Northwesterner! You have just touched the surface, but had a good start……now I have to get back to the photos. I want you to know you are responsible for my not getting Pacific Highway shots up this evening. ;):D

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Eric,

I'm glad someone calls Levenworth a "freaky little place!" It actually has lots of history but you have to get out of town and go back many years to enjoy it. But be aware that there are a whole bunch of people who think make believe Barvaria is nifty! It isn't my cup of tea, and I'm glad to see it isn't yours!

Dave

Eric,

Great shots of Moses Coulee and because I’ve been there I can accurately say, well done! A terrific job!

Too bad about the batteries, but isn’t the view just beyond your last shot drop dead amazing! I would have hated to take thta road before the railings were in. I have a shot of me and my sister on that section of the road in about 1948. It’s around on this forum somewhere.

You took a pretty big gulp in one day......and now you have some revisiting to do.

When you are ready, I'll give you the Yellowstone Trail south loop hints. A whole different experience awaits you, and just as beautiful. If you can get two days before summer arrives, it will be spectacular while the green fields are just coming up.

Dave

I have followed your entire trip using Google Maps and, when Google's imagery ran out, Live Search Maps. I am quite jealous of your trip, mostly because of all the juicy old-alignment goodness you found!

I'm looking at Calhoun Rd. on Google Maps, and when I turn labels off, the road turns into barely a trace past a certain point, remaining that way to just before it intersects with 2 again. That bridge must have been out for a looooong time!

By the looks of it on Google Maps, Sofie Rd. must have once crossed the railroad track at an awkward angle.

I would have been utterly delighted by Fern Bluff Rd! And I totally loved your roadsleuthing around the old (missing) US 2 bridge.

It looks to me, also, like Cascade View Dr. and Sultan-Startup Rd. are old alignments. Where Sultan-Startup Rd. crosses 2, I've never seen an old road rerouted quite like that, where you have to double back a bit.

Remarkable that the bridge near Index was built like that in 1999!! Here in Indiana, it would have been an eyesore slab to be sure.

Could Mt. Index River Rd. have been an old alignment?

What is up with all the missing bridges? Doesn't Washington believe in bridges? :-)

Where you turned around on the private dirt road, I would have done the same thing, and regretted it later similarly.

I love that photo of Old US 2 east of where 2 splits from 97.

The long abandoned (?) road where you went through (?) Moses Coulee is amazing. I would love to find something like that -- but I'd probably be too chicken to take my car through it!!

Dave,

It's a shame the place is closed, and it looks like if they don't soon do something about it, it might be beyond revitalization. Those things go fast.

What inspired me to go to Index was all the pictures by Lee Pickett. I'd love to find the old saw mill and do some more poking around. Even found a photo of a whole crew of Wobblies! This area is great.

As for Leavenworth, I enjoy freaky places. That the town actually just up and decided to do this shows the community spirit we all wish we lived around. It's enlivening and inspiring! Though.. that they did that with it is somewhat disturbing, but they get an A for effort.

Moses Coulee was one of my favorite roads ever. I'm sure I can think of ones that I've enjoyed more (trying... maybe something on 66 in Oklahoma), but not many. Thanks for the heads up on it. There's not much more to explore there, but I'll definitely be back. I'd like to know what that strange building was used for. I'd love to know the origins of that car too.

And Vantage Road is breath-taking. I'll have to dip into that too. With a camera, of course.

- Eric

ps - I'm not sure when we'll be heading out for the Southern Loop, but hints are always welcomed. Hopefully we'll be going out in the next couple of weeks. I guess we'll have to get a motel room, but that's ok. Thanks again!

Edited by sit properly

Jim,

Thanks so much for following along with GoogleMaps - that's how I did the initial poking around.

As for Calhoun Road, I was mistaken. It wasn't that a bridge was out, it was just closed. And probably for a long time. It was another road that I was thinking about. I thought that I changed that. But now I'm not so sure. I've made the change now.

Sofie Road must have. I usually check on stuff like that. Maybe I did, my memory is horrible. I remember that I stopped there on my way back on Scoot 66 to fix my throttle - it was sticking. It was one of the only things I remember from that trip to this. With the aerial shot on GoogleMaps, you can see where it attached to US 2, but how it crossed the tracks is strange. I wonder if the tracks are newer than the road.

You can do the Street Views thing on Fern Bluff and that's nice, but it does it no justice at all. I love narrow roads. The roads now are safer and wider and that's just super, but old narrow roads make me smile.

The way Sultan-Startup Road doubles back like that is strange. I'll have to check it out again to see why. From the aerial view, you can't really tell.

It makes no real sense why Index has a really cool suspension bridge. There's a story there. Maybe on your third bridge, Washington gives you an awesome bridge out of pity. Especially in Index, if that bridge goes out, you're stuck.

I'm unsure about Mt. Index River Road. It looks like it could have been and I can't remember why we didn't take it (other than I was more excited to see the town than the old road - which is very odd for me). Also, the bridge right before the turn off for Index and right after the junction of Mt. Index River Road and US 2 was a bridge that I found in the Lee Pickett photos. I was thrilled to go over it. Also there was some confusion with construction there. I'll have to try it next time.

That bridge was from the 1920's, so it Mt. Index River Road was the original, it was a very early original.

Washington must spend so much money on really cool bridges that they can't spend any on bridges needed for a handful of roadies (is that what we're called?).

If the picture you're talking about with the old section of road just east of where 97 leaves 2, that's the section that (somehow) goes into Waterville that I sort of hinted towards Dave that I was going to explore. Hopefully soon. Somehow.

Never be chicken to take roads! What's the worse that could happen? (famous last words). But with private property, I shy away. I just don't want the hassle. If I really just can't leave well enough alone, I'll go in on foot. But that is very very rare and usually only when I've heard of others doing it.

-Eric

Eric,

In my few years of roadsleuthing I have once been chased off an abandoned alignment by police (apparently, it was privately owned). I also once had to do about a 20-point turnaround on an old dirt alignment of US 36 that had narrowed down to barely one lane, with falloffs on either side, where a bridge was out. And once I managed to back my car off a road, "beaching" it over an abandoned alignment of the National Road:

2883856180_c90064f7b6_m.jpg

I love the old alignments, but I worry about my car! I keep saying I should buy a battered old Jeep for my trips -- still small, but with ground clearance, and if I do have a problem it's not like I've harmed my daily driver. I am very intrigued by your use of a Vespa for road trips for this reason!

Especially after being chased away by police that one time, I'm with you about private property. I don't want to cause anybody any concern. I have been known to deliberately, but very cautiously, break that rule, but it's an exception.

I think you did a great job sleuthing out the alignments. Following along like I did, I got the familiar "old alignmenty" feelings about every turn you made.

jim

I've luckily never had a run in with police, but I've found that most old alignments are in areas where nobody ever is, cops or otherwise.

The scooter is a GREAT way to avoid 20 point turns. You just turn it around. And if you get stuck, you can usually pull yourself out. It's great! I guess a Vespa probably isn't the best way to see old roads. A trail bike that's also street legal would probably be best. I can't really ford streams on the Vespa, but a trail bike would have no problem at all.

A problem I had on Route 66 was book. You can only carry a few. I had a bag just for books. Made a great back rest too! I took the thing on roads where I could never take a car. Even took it on some where I wouldn't take any four wheeled vehicle. Two wheels are quite useful, I fully recommend one. Touring on a motorcycle/scooter really opens up the world to you. You see more, notice more, remember more (usually).

Now, when I tour in a car, I always feel like I'm missing things. On a scooter, I can just pull over and take a picture of something. In a car, it's much more difficult. I took thousands more pictures and just as many more memories than I would have had I done Scoot 66 in a car. All this and 65 - 70mpg! Not bad.

It's not for everyone, but I completely suggest it. And now I can't wait to get on the road again!

-Eric

I have often wanted to explore the roads on my bicycle, but of course the low speeds would make covering significant ground impossible and could pose a safety issue in traffic on narrow roads. I dunno, I have so many things I need to spend money on before I buy something like a scooter, but the idea does appeal to me. jim

Eric,

Regarding that old building/ structure....I see them every so often in eastern Oregon and Washington. I would guess they serve one of two purposes. They store something like gravel for sanding or construction, or they temporarily store a crop before it is loaded into trucks.......or maybe that is where they put the bodies of the guys following old alignments on private property. :):rolleyes:

Dave

mga - Thanks! No faceless children nightmares, thankfully. So far, anyway.

Dave - That makes sense. I should have gotten out and looked at it. Being from Pennsylvania, my first thought was something to do with coal mining. We've got a lot of such buildings falling apart across the state. But this was clearly not the case. I'll have to check it out again.

If that's where they put the bodies of those who have trespassed while exploring old alignments, then I'll be in some very good company! Maybe we'll even start a magazine about it. hehe

Eric,

I have a vague recollection of years ago seeing a county sanding rig pulled up under one of those structures to load the truck. But it may be a “manufactured” memory.

As for the southern loop of the Yellowstone….first take a look at my posts (and that of others) here. No sense rewriting what has already been said.

There is one treasure that really needs validation on the Southern Loop. The County road shop outside Colfax has a couple of old graders from the time of the Yellowstone Trail. Since the Trail went through Whitman County, and those things were pretty rare, it is likely that the grader was used on the Yellowstone.

You are going to get happy when you start reading about the Mullen Road, and about the steamboats on the Snake, the defeat of Steptoe, the route of Lewis and Clark, the Whitman Mission, the adventures of the Hudson Bay fur trappers, Fort Simcoe, the Teapot Dome station….and you still have the Missoula Floods to savor. And I almost forgot a little appreciated gem…. Palouse Falls….a must see!!

When you decide you are going, I’ll give you the must visit sites and some “roads less traveled.” I can’t get at my old maps from here in California, but I have the Delorme on the laptop.

Dave

Dave,

I'll be taking a closer look at the posts on this forum shortly. I looked at them a few weeks ago, but just admired rather than plotted. I think I have the basic corridor down and some ideas on old alignments, but nothing is actually set in stone.

I'm a huge fan of the Snake River, having followed it through Idaho twice last year. I've got most things Oregon Trail related down on my list of "must know more about," though I've read several accounts of the Whitman massacre and will definitely be stopping there. Palouse Falls keeps coming up in my readings, so I'll hit that as well.

I went to the Seattle Public Library book sale this past weekend and picked up ten or so books on Washington (including a general history of the state that was written in 1926). I got some back roads books and even a 1955 edition of Sunset Magazine's book on Washington. There's a picture of Moses Coulee, but I don't know which alignment it's taken from.

We'd like to do the YT in Washington in two days, but I have a feeling it'll be three (can't afford much more). Just talking to Sarah now. She wants to do it this week. Thursday, probably. I'm always ready for a trip, but the snow will still be on parts of the old road over the passes. That's a bummer but it gives me an excuse to do it all over again this summer!

-Eric

ps - totally forgot about the marquee picture! I take a lot of pictures of old theaters. This one thrilled me. Pretty much every town had a theater. Most are still there (though most of those are out of business). Even saw an old Drive-in theater just south of Soap Lake. Closed though.

Edited by sit properly

Great trip read - tho it did take me two days to run thru the photo's. I went thru that area on my way back to the east coast, but I don't really remember much of it now - my trip was back in 1953!!!!

I find that same problem with U S 40 between PA and the Dayton, OH, area and U S 66. As well as other roads I traveled over way, way back then. Guess maybe I was to anxious to see what was over the next hill to pay much attention to what we were going by.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Thanks! And thanks for taking the time to look at the pictures.

I very literally remember almost nothing from when I went through there less than a year ago. I remember being nearly killed by a falling tree (well, missed it by a minute or so) and Leavenworth and apparently the barn at Waterville (since I took a picture of it). Though I remember the barn being on the other side of the road.

Thankfully I'm getting a chance to really explore the area. Maybe some of it will stick.

-Eric

Eric,

I wish I had my “stuff” here to send you, but there is no doubt you have the required “skill set” to find the good stuff without advice. One thing that you may find interesting is to wander the back roads of the Palouse a bit.

Tekoa (high span rail trestle) , Oakesdale (great old mill), Rosalia (Battle of Steptoe Hill….for once the Indians won)(old rail bridge with YT marker)(old garage), Winona & Endicott (small or deserted farm towns), Hooper (old general store, and tiny abandoned tavern), etc. And everyone loves Dayton and Waitsberg, but they are not among the surprise towns, because they are pretty well covered in media. Walla Walla has lots of historical sites and stories, and I like it a lot, but it is pretty well a “known commodity.”

You will definitely find many many vestiges of the days gone by if you get off the main roads, as I’m sure you will. And if you want to put “a notch on your gun” take the old Lewiston grade down to the Snake.

Looking forward to your report!

Dave

I'm not really sure I'll be able to make it this Thursday, especially that far out. I'm still working on the details.

I think I've got a lot of it figured out, but I know there are old roads that were used that you wouldn't suspect would have been used. I've been pouring over your posts and trying to figure it out, but still, I know there are things I'll miss. If there are any not-so-obvious (like the Yakima Valley's Wenas Road), I'd love some hints in that direction.

I've done some searching, the "Lewiston Grade" is either a rails-to-trails route in Washington or the "Spiral Highway" in Idaho off of US 95. If it's the Spiral Highway, it might just be worth the trek.

-Eric

Eric,

Frankly I think I should be getting advice from you….but since you ask, let me elaborate. The Lewiston Grade is the Spiral Highway. It is certainly worth a drive when you are in the area, but I wouldn’t go there just to take it. But then, I used to drive it regularly when I was attending WSU, so maybe its old hat to me. It was the main road back then.

As for Wenas like goodies, I think the next best would be the National Parks Highway and YST (Sunset Highway) between Davenport and Deep Creek (toward Spokane). There are several old concrete sections, some with the curved curbs, an old Hotel Davenport sign, and lots of ambiance.

Another favorite is the old Central Washington Highway (I hope my memory serves on the name). It runs from the spa town of Soap Lake to Odessa & Harrington. Be sure to visit Wilson Creek and Irby! I think Harrington has a twin posts Welcome to Harrington on the old road, and a fascinating downtown. I wish I had my pictures with me so I could I could give directions. The old alignments will abound, and provide lots of goodies. You should have no trouble spotting them

If you wanted to make a round trip, you might go to Soap Lake and east as far as Harrington, then down to Sprague where ther is another post east of town, then via any back road you like to get to Rosalia on the YST. With luck you’ll cross the Mullen Road and spot one of the monuments.

If you take the road out of Sprague that goes by Downs Lake and Williams Lake, stop at the Bunker’s Landing (Williams Lake) for a burger by the lake under the shade trees. You must go to Rosalia, then south on the YST.

I’ve gotta go, but those thoughts might be helpful.

Dave

Thanks! These are all noted and I suspect I'll get to all of them over the summer. For this trip (possibly next week), we'll be taking YT as much as possible from Seattle to Walla Walla to Spokane then back on the northern route and over Blewett Pass. The only problem I'll run into will be snow over the passes, but those are close enough to home that it won't matter.

I've got three sections that I'm wildly speculating and/or confused about and would love some help. I'm using both GoogleMaps and Mapquest and the book On the Road to Yellowstone for help. Still, I'm confused.

---

Right now, I'm mapping out the YT between Cle Elum and Spokane.

Heading south from Wilcox, the original YT (I think) used Wilcox Road, connecting to Penawawa Road, eventually heading to the Snake River. From the satellite images, it looks like the ferry was possibly where Penawawa Road hangs a hard right and becomes Horton Grade Road. Seems like there's a small road heading to the river.

Once crossing the Snake River, it seems the ferry landed at Hastings Hill Road. There are two spots where it could have landed (about 1000ish feet from one another). Hastings Hill Road follows the river for a bit and then turns away from the river. It then "dead ends" at Lower Deadman Road. And that's it. Lower Deadman Road heads to WA 127, which is a "newer" alignment of YT. But I can't imagine that Lower Deadman Road is the original YT.

My wild speculation is that the YT took Hastings Hill Road, hung a right on Lower Deadman Road past Willow Gulch Road and right where it curves right to head back to WA 127, it actually turned a bit left connecting with Meadow Creek Road via an unmarked (on Googlemaps and Mapquest) road.

I actually have no idea though.

Any thoughts on this? I know it's pretty specific and that Harold Meeks states in his books that some of this road might be under water thanks to a dam. I'm sure that is somewhat true, but I think there's a lot of it out there (on the south side of the river).

---

Also, at Dodge, the YT seems to have branched off heading north of US 12, staying on the north side of the nearby stream, attaching to Chard Road (according to Mapquest), and finally heading to Archer Road. From there, it went straight connecting to Pataha Lane. It finally ended up on WA 261 where it took a left and connects with US 12. It always stayed north of the stream (until connecting with WA 261), even when the rail road crossed the stream.

Is any of this true? Seems like there would be a lot to explore in this area. Fun! Again, any thoughts?

And did it really follow US 12 south to Dayton? That seems fishy, but not sure why. Maybe Smith Hollow Road?

---

Also, let me share another wild speculation. The YT from east of Cle Elum to Ellensburg wasn't actually on the really great road Washington Route 10. It took the WA 970 corridor to the WA 97 corridor. But more exactly, my speculation is:

After leaving Cle Elum via 1st Ave, it is never on WA 970. It took Airport Road east, curved right and then left onto Masterson RD and then left onto Red Bridge Road. The satellite shots of this area on Googlemaps are really bad, but just as Red Bridge Road nears Teanaway Road they improve.

It is pretty clear that the YT took a right onto Teanaway Road and then a curve left onto W Ballard Hill Road. And though you cannot map this on GoogleMaps, it curved left onto Ley Road and immediately took a right onto Swauk Prairie Road.

It followed Swauk Prairie Road to where you can plainly see (on the Satellite view) that it took a right, did a switchback and crossed modern day WA 970 (which is impossible to do now) and met up with Burke Road where you could take a left to go over Blewett Pass or a right to head to Ellensburg.

Taking a right, Burke Road eventually meets up with WA 97. After a mile or so, the YT continued left onto Bettas Road, which curves away from WA 97, but meets back up with it. After that, there is one old section called Old Highway 97 to the left. I believe it then followed the tracks on Dry Creek Road into Ellensburg.

I could be wrong about any and all of this.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I think I'm pretty close.

Edited by sit properly

Thanks! These are all noted and I suspect I'll get to all of them over the summer. For this trip (possibly next week), we'll be taking YT as much as possible from Seattle to Walla Walla to Spokane then back on the northern route and over Blewett Pass. The only problem I'll run into will be snow over the passes, but those are close enough to home that it won't matter.

I've got three sections that I'm wildly speculating and/or confused about and would love some help. I'm using both GoogleMaps and Mapquest and the book On the Road to Yellowstone for help. Still, I'm confused.

---

Right now, I'm mapping out the YT between Cle Elum and Spokane.

Heading south from Wilcox, the original YT (I think) used Wilcox Road, connecting to Penawawa Road, eventually heading to the Snake River. From the satellite images, it looks like the ferry was possibly where Penawawa Road hangs a hard right and becomes Horton Grade Road. Seems like there's a small road heading to the river.

Once crossing the Snake River, it seems the ferry landed at Hastings Hill Road. There are two spots where it could have landed (about 1000ish feet from one another). Hastings Hill Road follows the river for a bit and then turns away from the river. It then "dead ends" at Lower Deadman Road. And that's it. Lower Deadman Road heads to WA 127, which is a "newer" alignment of YT. But I can't imagine that Lower Deadman Road is the original YT.

My wild speculation is that the YT took Hastings Hill Road, hung a right on Lower Deadman Road past Willow Gulch Road and right where it curves right to head back to WA 127, it actually turned a bit left connecting with Meadow Creek Road via an unmarked (on Googlemaps and Mapquest) road.

I actually have no idea though.

Any thoughts on this? I know it's pretty specific and that Harold Meeks states in his books that some of this road might be under water thanks to a dam. I'm sure that is somewhat true, but I think there's a lot of it out there (on the south side of the river).

---

Also, at Dodge, the YT seems to have branched off heading north of US 12, staying on the north side of the nearby stream, attaching to Chard Road (according to Mapquest), and finally heading to Archer Road. From there, it went straight connecting to Pataha Lane. It finally ended up on WA 261 where it took a left and connects with US 12. It always stayed north of the stream (until connecting with WA 261), even when the rail road crossed the stream.

Is any of this true? Seems like there would be a lot to explore in this area. Fun! Again, any thoughts?

And did it really follow US 12 south to Dayton? That seems fishy, but not sure why. Maybe Smith Hollow Road?

---

Also, let me share another wild speculation. The YT from east of Cle Elum to Ellensburg wasn't actually on the really great road Washington Route 10. It took the WA 970 corridor to the WA 97 corridor. But more exactly, my speculation is:

After leaving Cle Elum via 1st Ave, it is never on WA 970. It took Airport Road east, curved right and then left onto Masterson RD and then left onto Red Bridge Road. The satellite shots of this area on Googlemaps are really bad, but just as Red Bridge Road nears Teanaway Road they improve.

It is pretty clear that the YT took a right onto Teanaway Road and then a curve left onto W Ballard Hill Road. And though you cannot map this on GoogleMaps, it curved left onto Ley Road and immediately took a right onto Swauk Prairie Road.

It followed Swauk Prairie Road to where you can plainly see (on the Satellite view) that it took a right, did a switchback and crossed modern day WA 970 (which is impossible to do now) and met up with Burke Road where you could take a left to go over Blewett Pass or a right to head to Ellensburg.

Taking a right, Burke Road eventually meets up with WA 97. After a mile or so, the YT continued left onto Bettas Road, which curves away from WA 97, but meets back up with it. After that, there is one old section called Old Highway 97 to the left. I believe it then followed the tracks on Dry Creek Road into Ellensburg.

I could be wrong about any and all of this.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I think I'm pretty close.

I have been down the Penna Wa Wa road to the Snake….and BTW, you should encounter the graders I mentioned just out of Colfax as you head that way if you take the right (south end) road out of town and go north of the airport. I think you have the route correct. There wasn’t much at Wilcox that I recall.

The gravel road down the canyon to the Snake is pretty, and as I recall the ferry landing is on the left (east) at the river. There is a dirt/ sand road that goes to it. I didn’t take it in my small family sedan once I hit the sand near the bottom, but a PU, scooter, or 4WD should easily get you there. The road then goes along the snake at water lever a short distance than up the grade to intersect with State 127.

I guess I should have counted this as at least the equal of the Wenas, and probably even a little more remote…..must be senior memory loss.

I was going to explore the opposite side but vehicle, time, and wife persuaded me otherwise. I think it is a safe bet that Hastings went along the river and connected with the ferry before the dam.

I think it is at Central Ferry that you can see an old road come up out of the water on the west side near a big storage structure. Incidentally, when you get out that way on a warm day make lots of noise when you are walking in the brush or near water. Rattle snakes are not usually deadly, but a bite can spoil a whole trip.

I am really frustrated tonight because the first time there is a real use for the early Washington strip maps by someone, I am 1000 miles away from them. But look also at my 1923 Rand McNally at historicalroadmaps.com as it shows the route of the Yellowstone as going north toward Liberty, then south toward Cle Elum. There is an old section of that road that follows, as I recall, Bettes Rd northwest of Ellensburg west of 97, and Redbridge Road northwest of 970. There is a big old red brick house mentioned probably in one of my ABB’s that is still standing at about Redbridge and Teanaway Rd.

Well, that is the best I can do from memory, and without my maps and guides at hand.

(AND RE READING WHAT YOU ALREADY WROTE, I THINK I JUST CONFIRMED WHAT YOU ALREADY HAD FIGURED OUT!)

Dave

Hi Dave and thanks! I guess it's confirmed most of what I thought. You never know till you get there, of course.

I'd like to see the old graters. They seem to be on Colfax Airport Road, which would have been a "newer" alignment after 1923 (according to your map) when the YT bypassed Wilcox. Either way, worth a detour to check them out. I'll check out Wilcox too just for fun.

So you're saying that the old ferry landing is before the road follows the river. I'll have to wait till summer to explore that part, but we might go as far as we can in the sedan.

The opposite side would be fun to explore. I bet once you're there it's clearer.

In his book, Meeks claims that the YT used what is basically WA 10, but from your maps and other sources, I think it's clear that it never did. I'm assuming that road wasn't even there at the time. Great road though!

Also on your map, it shows that Penawawa had a population of 192. That's pretty impressive. Meeks says that Penawawa is now underwater, but I wonder how true that is. I'm beginning to distrust his book. He was mistaken about Old Durr Road and about WA 10, both of which were mistakes that could have been corrected by comparing maps. But then, maybe he just got the names wrong. He traveled most, if not all of the trail and overall the book is really nice. It's just now I don't fully trust his alignment details. But then, that's why we have second editions. :)

--

Another question - How did the YT enter/leave Spokane from Idaho? There seems to be two routes. One was described as "the Appleway" routing. Lo and behold, Googlemaps shows Appleway Ave right on the border. The YT that came in from Idaho's Seltice Way (which went through Post Falls).

Did the other alignment come in from Idaho via Seltice Way and then hand a slight right on Wellesley Ave through Otis Orchard, then take a leftish onto Trent/WA 290?

Does anyone have a description of the YT through Spokane from the south? I hope it used E High Drive because it looks like a fun road. Same with Hatch.

Ok, enough questions for now.

Thanks!

-Eric

There is another alignment that apparently went through Idaho's Fourth of July canyon.

Edited by sit properly