American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Back From The Nr In Md, Pa, Wv

mobilene

Holy cow, of course the toll house I shot isn't the one in Stewart's book. The scene looked deceptively the same, but yes, of course, Stewart shot a brick toll house. Remarkable to me that the two toll houses are so similar in design despite the different building material.

I believe I actually missed Brownsville. I think I missed the turnoff and thus followed 40 around town, and didn't know it until you mentioned the town, Mark. Bummer. I was following Christopher Busta-Peck's excellent maps, and he had the route through Brownstown marked, too. I did see Braddock's Road, but too late, and by that time my rule was "no turnarounds" so I could get to Wheeling before dark.

I was surprised to learn that Ellicott City is one of the wealthiest areas in the nation.

I did note a fair number of what I guessed were probably taverns on the NR in PA. I also enjoyed the S bridge very much, even moreso now that I didn't get to see the ones in OH.

Here's an aerial-map link to the abandoned alignment west of Hagerstown:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

The thing I always wonder about, Jim, is why did a roadbed this short not get covered by the newer US 40? Made a nice driveway entrance for the people owning the house on the left though, huh...heh, heh.

The thing I always wonder about, Jim, is why did a roadbed this short not get covered by the newer US 40? Made a nice driveway entrance for the people owning the house on the left though, huh...heh, heh.

I meant on the right, as we look at it from the overhead. :P