American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Atlanta Area Dining/roadside Destinations?

wanderlustjake

Hi All,

We will making a trip from Michigan down to Atlanta GA next week. It unfortunately will be a quick trip, we are going to watch the FIRST Robotics Nationals, our son's team made the cut so we're going to watch. Due to the time constraints, we're going to have to slab it on 75.

We were wondering if anyone has any suggestions for dining or attractions in the Atlanta area (or on the way down for that matter)? It is looking like the aquarium is a must see. We know that area is great for 'Que, anyone got any favorites or "gotta try it" destinations?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Hi All,

We will making a trip from Michigan down to Atlanta GA next week. It unfortunately will be a quick trip, we are going to watch the FIRST Robotics Nationals, our son's team made the cut so we're going to watch. Due to the time constraints, we're going to have to slab it on 75.

We were wondering if anyone has any suggestions for dining or attractions in the Atlanta area (or on the way down for that matter)? It is looking like the aquarium is a must see. We know that area is great for 'Que, anyone got any favorites or "gotta try it" destinations?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Jason,

We spent a week in Atlanta 5 years ago, so I know there are some places you can try...I just can't recall what they were! I'll nudge Jennifer, as I know she'll remember. But from what I recall, some must eat/see places are:

The Varsity: OLD restaurant/drive-in near the GA Tech campus. Usually ends up on those "Top 10 Places to ..... " on the Food Network.

Coca Cola World: Might be wrong on the actual name. It's like a museum, gift shop, etc. Worth it! I know they're moved since we were there, but I know it's still in the area.

Underground Atlanta: A neat little mall below ground.

There was another cool diner that began with a "Z"...I remember we took pics of it. Here are some shots from around that trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadtripmemor...57600312503968/

And if you have time, a trip south to Juiliet, GA would be cool. That's where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes. If you saw the movie, the Whistle Stop Cafe is still open: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadtripmemor...57600311963557/

Coca Cola World: Might be wrong on the actual name. It's like a museum, gift shop, etc. Worth it! I know they're moved since we were there, but I know it's still in the area.

"The World of Coca-Cola".

Isn't the very first Waffle House still open in one of the Atlanta 'burbs?