American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

America's Scariest Drives On Forbes Traveler

bbutko

Published March 25, 2009, at Forbes Travelers.com

"America's Scariest Drives" by Joe Yogerst

http://www.forbestraveler.com/adventure/sc...s-us-story.html

Includes a slide show of their top picks.

Brian

Interesting that they consider an interstate the most dangerous - tho considering that most folks returning to LA from Vegas are probably flying higher than the car would contribute much to accidents.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I took a trip in 1990 with my dad to the place he was born, Handley, WV, which is between Charleston and Montgomery on WV 61. He took me on a seriously hair-raising drive one afternoon, where he was just hurling and whipping my little car down this seriously twisty road (that had no guardrails). I'll bet my bottom dollar today that it was WV 16, which is just "down the road a piece" from Montgomery. jim

Back around 1966 or 1967 I was headed east from Illinois back to my ship in Maryland and I stopped to visit my sister in Charleston, WV. Headed east from her place I wound up going north on 119 to 50, then east on 50.

I remember one place where the sign showed a left turn and right after that sign was another that said right turn - they weren't kidding. A 90º left followed immediately by a 90º right - and then it went almost straight down hill.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

• 5 weeks later...

Great list, but they forgot two of the scariest roads I've ever known:

1) I-95 between Ridgefield, NJ, going over George Washington Bridge (prepare to die) and through Stamford, CT. Probably the worst most aggressive drivers on the planet are on this road and we literally pray to survive while driving this route that we've christened "The Gauntlet". :o

2) They briefly mentioned the Road to Hana, but put Saddle Road ahead of it. If you've ever driven on the Road to Hana, it becomes very obvious that the road was built long before SUVs were invented. Now a narrow road tightly winding road with tons of blind corners is crowded with speeding Hummers, Jeeps and SUVs. I don't consider myself a jumpy person, but I was after that ride!