American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

(it Is Ok Now) Can't Log In

Today and yesterday (2/28/2009-3/1/2009) I note that most of the time when I try to log in, my user ID & password are accepted, the notice that I’m logged in appears, then the forum screen that appears indicates I am not logged in! I can repeat the log in sequence several times with the same result.

I also note no other members are logged in, although that may simply be because no one else is attempting to log in.

I have also been able to log in successfully (like now!) at other times on these two days, so I am satisfied that it isn’t because I have been banned! :rolleyes:

Am I doing something wrong in the log in process?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

ADDED 3/4: The team at American Road has fixed the problem. Thanks!

Today and yesterday (2/28/2009-3/1/2009) I note that most of the time when I try to log in, my user ID & password are accepted, the notice that I’m logged in appears, then the forum screen that appears indicates I am not logged in! I can repeat the log in sequence several times with the same result.

I also note no other members are logged in, although that may simply be because no one else is attempting to log in.

I have also been able to log in successfully (like now!) at other times on these two days, so I am satisfied that it isn’t because I have been banned! :rolleyes:

Am I doing something wrong in the log in process?

Dave

Dave,

I'm assuming you're on OK *right now*, as I see you online. I've heard this happen. periodically with different folks. I'd try clearing out the cookie and monitor how that works over the next couple of days. Could be a little hiccup?

Dave,

I'm assuming you're on OK *right now*, as I see you online. I've heard this happen. periodically with different folks. I'd try clearing out the cookie and monitor how that works over the next couple of days. Could be a little hiccup?

Pat,

Thanks!

I cleared the cookies and ran a separate program that deletes history, cache, etc. No luck.

Then I tried a different browser (Firefox)…. still no luck.

Then I went to a “virgin” computer running IE that had never logged on to American Road Forum, and the browser froze after I entered the ID and password and the opening page was to be presented. Then I shut the frozen browser and reopened it to the forum opening page, and I was signed in! So it worked, after a fashion.

The forum server recognizes the ID and password because it sends back the box that says I’m logged in & displays my “handle” (Keep the Show on the Road). “Obviously” the ID and password are getting through and being recognized.

The problem occurs when the AR server sends the reply. I don’t know whether it is a changed setting at this end or not, but since I have not changed both IE and Firefox settings, that sort of eliminates browser settings, or an anomaly with IE, which is my default browser.

On the other hand, the fact that I got in via the “virgin” computer after it locked up once at least suggests a problem with my regular computer.

So I ran system restore and went back 6 days, long before the problem. It worked once after the system restore, then didn’t work again. So I undid the system restore, and again it worked once, then not again.

Since it is intermittent, I am for the moment stumped…..but maybe one of our gurus has another idea to try.

Thanks for the reply and I’ll see if any other explanations emerge.

Dave

I was about to respond to this thread and tell you that you were imagining things when I started imagining them, too. After several attempts to log in, I gave up and just now, after several minutes, returned to the forum to see me already logged in. In the meantime, I sent mail to the real administrators and Becky is on the case and has seen the problem herself. Help is on the way.

I was about to respond to this thread and tell you that you were imagining things when I started imagining them, too. After several attempts to log in, I gave up and just now, after several minutes, returned to the forum to see me already logged in. In the meantime, I sent mail to the real administrators and Becky is on the case and has seen the problem herself. Help is on the way.

Denny,

My good and faithful forum colleague, Thanks!

I was beginning to think I had inadvertently changed some obscure setting when adding some utility or gadget. I figured if it was on the forum side someone else would squawk, but no one did….until you.

BTW, if it takes some time to find the problem, others might do what I did last night when I was logged in. I just put the computer to sleep, turned off my network as I usually do at night, turned it back on in the morning, and woke up the computer. I was still logged on, and able to harass my forum friends.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road