American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Ohio's Best Burger

DennyG

Several years ago I was introduced to Tank's Bar & Grill in Dayton, Ohio, by an aunt who lives there (in Dayton, not at Tank's). That was for breakfast and I've since stopped there several times for breakfast. The omelets come in two sizes. They should be called huge and almost huge but the big one's just called an omelet and the smaller (but far from small) one is a "girlie omelet". When it comes to omelets at Tank's, I'm a girlie man.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was reading through the latest "Best of..." list in Ohio Magazine and discovered that the Tankburger holds the "Best Burger in Ohio" title. I got to check it out for myself yesterday and Ohio Magazine will get no argument from me. The object of my research is shown here with a pile of fresh cut fries. The Tankburger is 1/2 lb. but there is also a 1/3 lb. version on the menu. Although the menu didn't say so, I'm guessing that's a "girlie burger".

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was reading through the latest "Best of..." list in Ohio Magazine and discovered that the Tankburger holds the "Best Burger in Ohio" title. I got to check it out for myself yesterday and Ohio Magazine will get no argument from me. The object of my research is shown here with a pile of fresh cut fries. The Tankburger is 1/2 lb. but there is also a 1/3 lb. version on the menu. Although the menu didn't say so, I'm guessing that's a "girlie burger".

Wow,

That like's like something that should come with an EMT in waiting. Since we cut back on portions, fats, cholesterol, etc in our diets after Peg's recent heart attack, I find that I will just need to skip out on some of the destinations which we used to have in our future plans. Tank's looks wonderful, but the Ostrich Burger with side salad at Kelly's Brew Pub in Albuquerque was also delicious, and I did not feel like having my cell phone ready with my finger on the 1 with the 9 and 1 already dialed.

Thanks for sharing and making me jealous that you young and robust people can still enjoy those things. (Okay, maybe once and a while I will indulge, like at a Quaker Steak and Lube).

Thanks for sharing and making me jealous that you young and robust people can still enjoy those things. (Okay, maybe once and a while I will indulge, like at a Quaker Steak and Lube).

Even us "young and robust" (cough, cough, chuckle, chuckle) guys can't misbehave as often as when we were "younger and robuster" which makes those transgressions just a tad more pleasurable. And I have a feeling that there's no more danger at Tank's than at Quaker Steak & Lube. I do enjoy the original QS&L in Sharon, PA, although I've only been there a few times and those visits were several years back. It was a real service station converted to a restaurant. Around here, they're in new buildings and, even though there's lots of street machinery hanging from the walls and ceilings, it just ain't the same. If you're ever near Fernandina Beach, FL, check out T-Ray's Burger Station. It's in an old Exxon station with the pumps still in place.