American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Rss Feed In Outlook 2007

DennyG

I recently updated to MS Outlook 2007 at work and today looked into its RSS reader capabilities. I like it. I've posted here before about having RSS feeds for this forum and several blogs and such on my browser home page. That has a practical limit not much over a half dozen since each requires some amount of screen space. Additions aren't really limited by the screen size but those not on the top of the list require scrolling to see and new posts don't always get noticed for awhile. Of course, even without the scrolling issue, the browser does have to be open and displaying the home page for any posts to be noticed.

Outlook 2007 allows you to subscribe to RSS feeds and the posts appear much like email messages. I almost always have Outlook running for email so I don't have to do anything extra to check the feeds. Plus, since there's no screen space required for the subscription (just like an email account) the screen is not a limiting factor and I even added a couple that I'd been putting off when I set things up.

I'm guessing that some of you Mac folks use Thunderbird and I understand that there's an RSS plug-in for it. Maybe you've been doing it this way all along. Heck, maybe every email client in the world has had it and Outlook just caught up. But I'm really sold so will have to look for an Outlook 2000 plug-in for home or spring for 2007 or maybe look into Thunderbird.

Denny:

Firefox has a great RSS add-on "Sage" but I wasn't aware that Thunderbird has an RSS feed. I'll be sure to check it. (BTW Thunderbird is also available on Linux, and Winders :) However, I agree with you, on the scrolling, that's what Sage does with Firefox, and at times I too miss an entry. Hopefully Tbird's will be better.

- Kc

I recently updated to MS Outlook 2007 at work and today looked into its RSS reader capabilities.

...I'm really sold so will have to look for an Outlook 2000 plug-in for home or spring for 2007 or maybe look into Thunderbird.

Denny,

Let me know if you find a plug-in for Outlook 2000 as that is what I am running too. Thanks.

Denny,

Let me know if you find a plug-in for Outlook 2000 as that is what I am running too. Thanks.

I installed RSS Popper from here last night and it seems to do what I want although I've very little time with it. There wasn't a lot of activity overnight (none, actually:-) so I'm not sure how well it functions "steady state" but in did properly retrieve many recent postings when installed plus a couple of new ones when I did a manual refresh.

I initially sort of accepted its suggestions after having it obtain the name from the feed and this resulted in each feed being given its own folder inside an RSS folder. I don't intend to keep the postings around so I changed that so that all go to my inbox. That way they get my attention and I can read & delete & visit the source if desired. On the other hand, if you want to save them for awhile or just don't want then cluttering up you inbox, the pre-sorting might be nice.

The RSS Popper site says it is also available for Outlook Express.