American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Washington Dc - National Road Trip

mobilene

I'm saving my pennies to take my sons to Washington, D.C., for Spring Break in April. I want to dash to DC on the superslab, spend a couple-three days in DC, and then spend a couple-three days winding back slowly to Indy on the National Road.

This trip is to be primarily about father-son good times, and secondarily about seeing what we can see. Money is going to be tight so I'm looking for no-low-moderate cost things to do and places to stay. I am especially interested in clean independent motels on or near the National Road.

I'm looking for recommendations, especially on the National Road portion of the route!

Many thanks,

jim

We've had luck with the Budget Inn Motel in Cambridge, Ohio while on our way to the east coast. It's right on US 22/40. It's a basic little motel with exterior entries...nothing historic or fancy, but a good room at a good price.

I'm saving my pennies to take my sons to Washington, D.C., for Spring Break in April. I want to dash to DC on the superslab, spend a couple-three days in DC, and then spend a couple-three days winding back slowly to Indy on the National Road.

This trip is to be primarily about father-son good times, and secondarily about seeing what we can see. Money is going to be tight so I'm looking for no-low-moderate cost things to do and places to stay. I am especially interested in clean independent motels on or near the National Road.

I'm looking for recommendations, especially on the National Road portion of the route!

Many thanks,

jim

Can I assume you will go to the Smithsonian? There's a no cost attraction! We went there a few years ago and visited the "America on the Move" exhibit.

I also stayed at the Twin Pines Motel in St. Clairsville, Ohio. Not expensive, a little careworn, but clean.

Remember that the Smithsonian is more than one building...

I also enjoyed the US Post Office museum at the old train station, Ford's Theatre, and the National Museum of the American Indian were all fascinating, although there was a lot of reading. If you go to the Holocaust Museum, make sure you have something fun to do afterwards as it is depressing, and quite effective. We found the Capitol City Brewing Company at 1100 New York Avenue, NW to be reasonable for very good dinners. I believe they have another location as well. Good luck, and let us know what you find...

I've stayed at the Casselman Inn in Grantsville, MD. A friend reports that Leber Cabins look really promising but neither of us have actually stayed there. It's on my "to-sleep-at" list. The two are only a few miles apart so even if they appeal to you, you probably can't use both unless it's going and coming. Grantsville is quite close to I-68. I've also stayed at Bakers near Zanesville and the Grove Terrace in Wheeling. Neither are outstanding but both are OK. I can't think of anything east of Grantsville just now but will keep trying.

I don't think any lodging is reasonably priced in DC and parking in the city can be difficult and expensive. The excellent public transportation system makes it possible to stay on the outskirts and still get to Arlington (The changing of the guard is a great free show.) and the Smithsonian, monuments, and government buildings. The Smithsonian's American History Museum, which contains the "America on the Move" exhibit that Jennifer mentioned, was closed for over a year but is now open. The Smithsonian has enough museums (I'm guessing the boys like dinosaurs (Natural History Museum), airplanes (Air and Space Museum), and Indians (American Indian Museum)), to fill the whole summer so some advance planning is really a must. I stayed at the Americana in Crystal City a few years ago but see it now starts at $100 and goes up. It's fairly convenient for transportation and restaurants but is otherwise nothing special.

Milestone and Madonna spotting are fun & free. Depending on your route out of DC, you may pass the Maryland Madonna but you'll definitely pass the ones in PA, WV, OH, & IN. At the MD/PA line you can simultaneously check out a Mason-Dixon Line marker and a National Road marker. Near Boonsboro, MD, the country's oldest Washington Monument is a great free stop. I can see three young men racing each other up the trail but (just in case you don't win) best agree before hand to wait for everyone before entering the tower. I don't remember if they charge for the museum at the train station in Cumberland but even without it (and I don't recall it being a must see) a walkabout in the area around the station can be fun and the start of the official National Road is there. Excursion trains, some of them steam, run from there so you might see one coming or going. In Frostburg, the engine is turned around on an outdoor turntable. If you're interested and check out the schedule, you can plan a stop to watch. I'm guessing that few, if any, of those three young men ever saw a steam engine get turned around. In Pennsylvania, they charge money at Fort Necessity but nearby Braddock's grave is free. Both the current and original, middle of the road, burial spots are marked. There are many stone bridges (S, Y, and I shaped) along the way but you can find out about them elsewhere. I will make a suggestion about the Y bridge in Zanesville. When you cross it from the east, first turn right (while, of course, pointing out that you're in the middle of a river;-) and head to Tom's Ice Cream Bowl. Have lunch, if the timing's right, but have some excellent made on the premises ice cream in any case. You might (like I always do) want to pick up some fresh roasted nuts for later munching. When you return to the bridge, turn right again then drive up to Putnam Hill Park to overlook the bridge.

Ohhh... I just read Dave's note and heartily agree that the Post Office Museum is a good one and that Union Station is a real treat. I can even agree that Capitol City Brewing Company has good food though I've never been to the one on New York. The one I've been to is in the same building as the Postal Museum and right across the street from Union Station. I missed it on my first visit to the Station and I'm guessing Dave did too. :D

I thought that exhibit had been closed for a time and wasn't sure if it had reopened. I tried checking their website but for some reason last night it was slow as the proverbial molasses in January...appropriately.

I enjoyed that exhibit, and everything else too: The Smithsonian Institution

This is faaaabulous information, everybody, and thank you very much! I think we're going to stay in a motel outside the beltway, one with nearby train access to town. Last time I went to DC -- 1994 -- I did this and it was great. Saved a fair amount on the room that way.

When I was last in DC, I wandered the Capitol building. I'm betting we won't be able to do that now. But there's still tons to see on the mall, and we could probably spend most of a day just doing that.

jim