American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Gillespie Dam Brigde

On 5/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, mga707 said:

Oh, and to update another facet of this 10-year-old thread, I still have the '05 Vibe.  187,000 miles and still zero major problems.  Did have the infamous Tanaka airbag recall, and then a recall on the recall.  Did not drive it on this particular trip, though, but it is hitting the road for San Diego in less than a month.  The '99 Miata was not so lucky, took a check from insurance for it in '16 following a chain-reaction crash on I-10 that would've cost about 7K to repair.

Hi mga707,
Thank you for posting the photos and info about the Gillespie Dam Bridge. This is something we may want to include in an upcoming issue of American Road magazine.
Curious about your comment,  "It looks like there are places for interpretive signs in two places, but they have not as of yet been installed."  I did a little research and came across this: 
There was interpretive signage placed at the bridge during the 2011-2012 bridge rehabilitation project. However it has since been stolen.
The text that appeared on the interpretive plaques and photos can be found at: Next Exit History, http://www.nextexithistory.com/explore/historical-sites/historic-gillespie-dam-bridge/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sue H. said:

Hi mga707,
Thank you for posting the photos and info about the Gillespie Dam Bridge. This is something we may want to include in an upcoming issue of American Road magazine.
Curious about your comment,  "It looks like there are places for interpretive signs in two places, but they have not as of yet been installed."  I did a little research and came across this: 
There was interpretive signage placed at the bridge during the 2011-2012 bridge rehabilitation project. However it has since been stolen.
The text that appeared on the interpretive plaques and photos can be found at: Next Exit History, http://www.nextexithistory.com/explore/historical-sites/historic-gillespie-dam-bridge/

Thank you for that update--really disappointing that the signs were stolen, one would assume merely for the value of the metal.  The Next Exit article is fascinating!

Edited by mga707
addition

On 5/30/2019 at 1:13 AM, mga707 said:

Thank you for that update--really disappointing that the signs were stolen, one would assume merely for the value of the metal.  The Next Exit article is fascinating!

I agree, very disappointing that people would do something like that! Glad you enjoyed the article, it's an interesting website. 

I believe I saw the signs in Janruary 2013 when I went on my first motorcycle ride to Phoenix. By late 2017, they were indeed gone.