American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Route 66 - Chicago To Joliet

I just uploaded photos from our very first true "Route 66" trip last week from Joliet to Chicago. The photo set is available here on Flickr. We had driven other parts of 66 before in Missouri and Oklahoma, but those trips were not pure 66 trips.

I don't think I'm going to post any sort of "trip journal" for this one, just the photostream. You can see how all of these attractions look in January in the snow. All of the photos are geotagged from where they were taken, so anyone wanting to follow our footsteps can easily find their way.

Some notes, though. The Wishing Well Motel in LaGrange is completely gone now. I saw in the images from Google Maps Street View that it was surrounded by a chain link fence, but I can definitively say that it is now totally gone. Of course with the snow cover I couldn't tell whether the foundation was there or not, but it was a little disappointing.

We had also hoped to eat at White Fence Farm, but they were closed for the winter season. We did get to have a wonderful lunch at Lou Mitchell's in Chicago, and I was able to sample their Reuben sandwich.

Enjoy!

Chris

Interesting to see some of those places with snow all about. Not the normal scenery. That's clearly not the trusty Matrix in the photos. It's not gone, I hope?

Most "publicity" shots you see of Route 66 are from summer. Now, after visiting Chicago in January, I can see why most people aren't foolish enough to visit while it is still below freezing.

I was headed to Chicago for a week of training and I had to leave the Matrix back home so my wife could drive it (she can't drive the 5-speed in my Echo yet, but is still learning!). It turned out pretty well. I brought my wife up with me for Saturday and Sunday, we did the Route 66 tour on Sunday morning and then went to the Museum of Science and Industry. On Monday morning I put her on a one-way flight back to Indianapolis. I couldn't believe the flight was $45... I couldn't pass it up.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the Route 66 photo trip! The Reuben looked yummy!

Your comment about Al Capone and the garage that looks like a small castle made me wonder how many places claim a tie to him….sort of like George Washington slept here. B)

The last photos looked downright cold!

Thanks for sharing!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave