American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

2009 Dozen Distinctive Destinations

RoadDog

The National Trust for Historic Preservation has released its 2009 Dozen Distictive Destinations.

They are:

1. Athens, Ga.*

2. Briston, RI

3. Buffalo, NY*

4. Fort Worth, Tx

5. Franklin, Tn*

6. Hot Springs, SD

7. Lake Geneva, Wi*

8. Lititz, Pa

9. Santa Barbara, Ca

10. Santa Fe, NM

11. Saugatuck-Douglas, Mi*

12. Virginia City, Nv.*

I've been to these. We only live abiout 20 miles from Lake Geneva, a really great place to visit. Never heard of #2 and #8.

How many have you visited?

The National Trust for Historic Preservation has released its 2009 Dozen Distictive Destinations.

They are:

1. Athens, Ga.*

2. Briston, RI

3. Buffalo, NY*

4. Fort Worth, Tx

5. Franklin, Tn*

6. Hot Springs, SD

7. Lake Geneva, Wi*

8. Lititz, Pa

9. Santa Barbara, Ca

10. Santa Fe, NM

12. Virginia City, Nv.*

I've been to these. We only live abiout 20 miles from Lake Geneva, a really great place to visit. Never heard of #2 and #8.

I have only been to numbers 8 and 10. Lititz is north of Lancaster, and is a quaint little town known for it's pretzels among other things. There is a bit about it's Moravian History listed here.

As a Canadian, who is always looking for US destinations to visit, can you tell me what makes these destinations so Historically Significant. Except for Santa Fe, which I visited on my Route 66 Road Trip last summer, the rest of them, I am not sure what makes them the top 12.

Thanks.

Bill

As a Canadian, who is always looking for US destinations to visit, can you tell me what makes these destinations so Historically Significant. Except for Santa Fe, which I visited on my Route 66 Road Trip last summer, the rest of them, I am not sure what makes them the top 12.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill,

As an American, I hope someone can answer that question too! I think I'll have to do some research on these cities to find out what the attraction is.

Bill,

As an American, I hope someone can answer that question too! I think I'll have to do some research on these cities to find out what the attraction is.

This LA Times article gives a brief statement on each and the National Trust for Historic Preservation site gives some more details plus you can check out the list of previous selections there. One of the 2001 picks, Madison, IN, has been the subject of a few posts here. Seems like the basic requirement of a Distinctive Destination is being distinctive. I believe my own score is just 1, 3, 5, & 10.

I have only been to three of them. I think I would say they were each distinctive, and worth a visit. And not to detract from any of them, but so are lots of other places I would have nominated (they didn’t ask me, did they).

Let me propose that a commitment to, and the achievement of, the historical preservation of period architecture is the standard.....what places would we add to the list?

I’ll toss in

Eureka Springs, AR

Appalacahacola, FL

Bisbee, AZ

…..as starters.

OH! WELCOME TO LAPLAYA! Hope to “see” lots more of you!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I’ll toss in

Eureka Springs, AR

Appalacahacola, FL

Bisbee, AZ

Good choices all -- and the Trust agrees with you. Eureka Springs was on the list in 2001, Bisbee was on in 2005, and Appalacahacola in 2008. It's not an all time best list or even a one year best list.

Each year since 2000, the National Trust for Historic Preservation has selected 12 vacation destinations across the United States that offer an authentic visitor experience by combining dynamic downtowns, cultural diversity, attractive architecture, cultural landscapes and a strong commitment to historic preservation and revitalization.

They are:

1. Athens, Ga.*

2. Briston, RI

3. Buffalo, NY*

4. Fort Worth, Tx

5. Franklin, Tn*

6. Hot Springs, SD

7. Lake Geneva, Wi*

8. Lititz, Pa

9. Santa Barbara, Ca

10. Santa Fe, NM

12. Virginia City, Nv.*

Lets see - I've been to Bristol (not Briston), RI - nice location, Fort Worth (years ago - did find a great resturant, believe it was the Cattlemans Resturant) and Buffalo.

Other than Bristol being in a nice location I can't really think of much that would attract me to either Buffalo or Fort Worth.

Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place.

I should take a run over to Frankliin, TN, sometime - that's quite historic. Dates back to 1799, Civil War battle, historic stuff. Now, THAT might be worth taking a trip for.

Virginia City - also historic. Believe that's where a gentleman name of Sam Clements worked for a newspaper and wrote a couple of his stories, also a typical mining town, home of the Comstock Lode and if you beleive Hollywood and TV the site of the Ponderosa Ranch and the Cartwrights. LOL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I should take a run over to Frankliin, TN, sometime - that's quite historic. Dates back to 1799, Civil War battle, historic stuff. Now, THAT might be worth taking a trip for.

If you do make a run to Franklin AND we get some advance warning AND I can sneak it into the schedule, I just might meet you there. It's within the range that I'd at least consider. I always like Nashville plus the Natchez Trace and one of the best eating places in the world (Loveless Cafe) are nearby.

Been through Franklin, very nice area. Wish we would have been able to cover more of the Trace. I'll second DennyG's recommendation of the Loveless Cafe, the food is GREAT! Our boys still bring up eating there and it's been two years since we were there. Well worth the stop and wait. Here's the link:

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

(I'm not being too obvious that we liked the food am I?)

Saugatuck/Douglas I am guessing for the art communities, it's a nice area on Lake Michigan.

Jason

If you do make a run to Franklin AND we get some advance warning AND I can sneak it into the schedule, I just might meet you there...............................

Something to think about - would be later when the weather warms up a little.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN