American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Spring 2009 Cruise

DennyG

It's the first of April, this cruise is just over three weeks away, and, as far as I know, Chris & I are the only ones with reserved sleeping spots. No panic but I figured that the start of the month was a good time for a reminder. I'd hate to have to sneak coffee out of my room to someone sleeping in their car. :D

We have reservations at the recommended motels for Friday and Saturday......Bliss

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a trek over to Richmond today to get some brochures at the Old National Road Welcome Center. While out there, I stopped by the Golden Inn and made our reservation for 4/24. **NOTE**: Rooms there are going FAST. We got the last non-smoking room. Apparently there's some sort of dog show in the area that weekend. There are still a few rooms left, but RESERVE SOON. However, there are some other motels just a mile or so west on 40, so lodging shouldn't be a big issue.

For those making the trek from Indy with us on 40, I've shored up a couple of stops. One of those stops will be the Hoosier Gym in Knightstown. This was the home court for the Hickory Huskers in the 1986 Gene Hackman film "Hoosiers".

Another interesting spot is the site of the old Gennett Records studio, where they have a Walk of Fame honoring some of the legends who recorded there.

That's the latest update....more to come!

• 2 weeks later...
For those making the trek from Indy with us on 40, I've shored up a couple of stops.

I know you planned to start with some sites in Indy, but do you have an approximate guess for what time you will be leaving the Indy area? We won't be able to get on the road until 4:30 p.m. and I was just trying to estimate where you think you will be at that time.

Chris

I know you planned to start with some sites in Indy, but do you have an approximate guess for what time you will be leaving the Indy area? We won't be able to get on the road until 4:30 p.m. and I was just trying to estimate where you think you will be at that time.

Chris

I don't have the schedule complete yet for Friday, but as of now it looks as if we'll meet for breakfast in the morning...8 or 9...probably at Charlie Brown's on Main Street in Speedway, head to the track for the museum & bus tour (if there's interest), then head to Crown Hill Cemetery, then start working our way down to US 40 from there. I would guess we'd be heading out of Indy around the noon hour. When 4:30 rolls around, I'd guess if we're not in Richmond by then, we'd be fairly close. I plan on a stop in Knightstown, and probably a lunch somewhere in between.

As we get within days of this cruise, it seems a good idea to check the roster, look for new additions, and ask a few questions. I'm keeping my fingers out of Pat's plans to get from Indianapolis to the state line. It looks to me like those plans are starting to firm up nicely. As he has mentioned here, Pat intends to make a few National Road (and Indiana Basketball) stops plus the old Gennett factory site and Walk of Fame in Richmond. He may or may not include an actual stop at the Indiana Madonna of the Trail and that brings us to our first question: departure point and time.

This, as well as the other questions, can be answered Friday evening but everyone can think about it before then. Three possible starting locations have been mentioned: The Madonna, the National Road Welcome Center, and the Golden Inn. Most or all of us are staying at the Golden Inn so starting from there would be convenient. The Madonna is a key feature of the cruise so would make a nice symbolic starting point. The Welcome Center has some displays, lots of information, and a convenient parking lot. As far as I'm concerned, any would work equally well. Both the Madonna and the Center should be visited in any case. The Center has the aforementioned displays and, even though they all look alike, each of the twelve Madonna of the Trail Monuments have unique inscriptions. The Welcome Center opens at 9:00 on Saturday and closes at 5:00 on Friday. Madonnas never close.

I've been thinking in terms of a 9:00 AM launch time. We could either meet about 8:00 for a group breakfast or let everyone deal with breakfast however they'd like and group up around 9:00. If we want to eat as a group, there's a little restaurant about a dozen miles east of the Golden Inn in Lewisburg. Nothing special to recommend it other than being a mom & pop in a small town on the route. Pam's Diner, about a mile from the Golden Inn in New Paris, is a pretty good looking independent but I've never eaten there. I believe it would work for either a group gathering or for individual foraging. The tiny Paulee Restaurant near the old depot in Richmond is a fun and unique place. I don't think I'd recommend it for a group gathering but individuals could certainly time things to eat there (it's your basic bacon & eggs sort of joint) and get back to the east side of town in plenty of time. There are also plenty of chain places on the east side of Richmond.

Saturday night dining also deserves some thought. From the beginning, this thread has included the Golden Lamb but without much discussion. The Lamb is the oldest continuously operating business in the State of Ohio. There's a lot of history and good food there. Twenty or thirty years ago, pretentious and stuffy were words that weren't completely off mark in describing the place but that's not the case today. Today it's a friendly and comfortable place to eat. But it is a bit "up scale". I just realized that the online menus omit prices (never a reassuring situation) so I'll offer my guess that typical entrees are in the $15-16 range. Some items are less and some, steaks and such, considerably more. I like the Golden Lamb and so does Michael Stern but I'll no doubt eat there again sometime regardless of whether or not the group gathers there on Saturday. It's the folks from outside this area who I'd like to get opinions from. There are alternatives although a strong candidate just blocks away closed recently. There's an old fashioned ice cream parlor across the street that serves sandwiches though ice cream is the only thing I've personal experience with. (It's great.) The Houston Restaurant, a locally owned place just a few miles beyond Lebanon, offers good food at somewhat lower prices. Of course, although it's nice, it isn't necessary that we have dinner together. It's quite OK if some want to try out the Lamb while others try something else. I'd like to hear some chatter on this.

I'm confident everyone will enjoy Joe's in Springfield. I'm guessing we'll be there between 12:00 & 1:00 and hoping Chris & Company can meet us there. I'm also sure that the Breakfast Club is a most satisfactory place although everyone can chose to eat there or not on their own. By the time we break apart on Saturday night, we will have agreed on a departure spot & time for Sunday morning. Time should be no later than 11:30 to get us to the Sign Museum by 1:00. This promises to be a lazy morning with maybe a little strolling about Lebanon.

One other potential meal gathering has recently entered the picture. When Pat stopped by the Golden Inn, he learned of a BBQ joint about a mile away and generously offered to test it for us. But he ran into time conflicts and I had to pick up the slack. I stopped by there on the way home from my Dad's yesterday and think this is a no brainer. A fairly small and very friendly operation with good food ranging from sandwiches to steaks and from about $5 on up. I've placed a picture in the gallery of what I saw when I pulled in. Since everyone will be in Richmond Friday night, Pat & I would like to suggest dinner here around 6:00 or 7:00. Any objections?

Now (This sure got longer than I expected) for that roster check:

The Bremers - leading some folks out of Indianapolis on Friday

The Sandersons - some of the folks being lead

The Hatchs - more folks being lead

The Rowlands - possibly being lead but definitely in Richmond Friday

A Gibson - in Richmond Friday evening

More Rowlands - meeting at the Sign Museum on Sunday

The Reynolds & a Redden - also meeting at the Sign Museum Sunday

Summary:

Please weigh in on idea of BBQ Friday night. Assuming we're all agreeable, we can sort everything else over Ole Ray’s BBQ sauce but we'd still welcome some discussion here on Saturday morning departure place & time and Saturday night dinner.

My thoughts would be to hit Madonna on Saturday as our "official" launch site, although we'll still have to gather before that so everyone knows how to get there. As for food, I'd give a thumbs up to BBQ on Friday night. Saturday we'd probably lean towards an "on your own" breakfast, as we probably wouldn't eat much in the morning since Joe's is set in stone and we woudn't want to skimp on the intake there, so to speak. Saturday night we'd be open for just about anything. so whether we go to the Golden Lamb or the Golden Arches, it's all fine with us! ;)

It's quite OK if some want to try out the Lamb while others try something else. I'd like to hear some chatter on this.

Please weigh in on idea of BBQ Friday night.

The BBQ place in New Paris sounds great for Friday night, and I know we can get there by 6:15 to 6:30. My current plan is to reach the Golden Inn at 6 or so to check in, and then head to dinner. If anyone else is headed to the motel first, maybe we can all just take off to dinner from there.

Reaching Joe's for lunch may be a little tight, but we'll get someone's cell number so we can check out where makes sense to join up again.

The Golden Lamb sounded interesting to us. But we will gladly go wherever the group wants to on Saturday night. My wife loves steak, and her participation in this cruise are somewhat dependent upon promises of beef.

Chris

Summary:

Please weigh in on idea of BBQ Friday night. Assuming we're all agreeable, we can sort everything else over Ole Ray’s BBQ sauce but we'd still welcome some discussion here on Saturday morning departure place & time and Saturday night dinner.

We're planning to meet with everyone on Friday at the Golden Inn because our Friday day plans are still up in the air; ie, do we leave STL Thursday and mosey east on Historic 40, leave STL Friday morning and slab to the motel, etc.? What we'll probably do is to slab to Knightstown and the Hoosier gym on Friday sometime and then cruise to the motel. The BBQ for Friday night sounds great! (As far as food is concerned on this cruise, we're big fans of old Mom 'n Pop joints but we'll happily go along with whatever the cruise group decides.)

Doesn't matter to us where the Saturday cruise officially begins, as we'll just tag along with you and/or Pat as you leave the motel. The Sunday "lazy morning" late start concerns me a little because being a "morning" person, I'm not much of a lingerer. Everything will work out great, though, so don't elevate your stress level over anything - just let stuff happen and enjoy the ride....Bliss

We're planning to meet with everyone on Friday at the Golden Inn because our Friday day plans are still up in the air; ie, do we leave STL Thursday and mosey east on Historic 40, leave STL Friday morning and slab to the motel, etc.? What we'll probably do is to slab to Knightstown and the Hoosier gym on Friday sometime and then cruise to the motel. The BBQ for Friday night sounds great! (As far as food is concerned on this cruise, we're big fans of old Mom 'n Pop joints but we'll happily go along with whatever the cruise group decides.)

Doesn't matter to us where the Saturday cruise officially begins, as we'll just tag along with you and/or Pat as you leave the motel. The Sunday "lazy morning" late start concerns me a little because being a "morning" person, I'm not much of a lingerer. Everything will work out great, though, so don't elevate your stress level over anything - just let stuff happen and enjoy the ride....Bliss

If it helps your schedule at all, I can arrange it to where you can join up with us after we've toured the speedway and the cemetery. As of right now, I'm guesstimating that'd be around noon (ET). Then you can cruise 40 out of Indy with us.

Never let it be said that I'd pass up bbq. Just hope it's as good as eastern Carolina barbeque, but, hey, any bbq is good bbq.

It'll just be me as the wife won't be able to go.

I'll be heading to Indy Thursday and loking forward to seeing Carl Fisher's grave and all that the Maven has planned.

Bliss, you may not have to deal with that "lazy morning" since I learned that Sharonville, a community on US-42, will be holding their annual car show on that day. It's a fairly large one with cars parked right on 42. I don't think we want to surrender and take to the expressway but we will want to leave a bit earlier to detour past it -- or maybe a lot earlier to stroll around it.

Sounds like 7:00 would be a good time for BBQ. I'll call for reservations later today. We'll make the Madonna our launch point and count on everyone dealing with breakfast however they see fit. Plan on being at the Madonna a little before 9:00 or leaving the Golden Inn a little before a little before 9:00.

If it helps your schedule at all, I can arrange it to where you can join up with us after we've toured the speedway and the cemetery. As of right now, I'm guesstimating that'd be around noon (ET). Then you can cruise 40 out of Indy with us.

Thanks, but we won't make it to Indy by 11:00 CDT. Just go ahead with your current plans and exclude us for the trek to OH. We'll see you guys Friday night

And, Denny, an earlier start on Sunday sounds good....Bliss

Thanks, but we won't make it to Indy by 11:00 CDT. Just go ahead with your current plans and exclude us for the trek to OH. We'll see you guys Friday night

Keep me posted Friday of your progress. Perhaps meeting up at Hoosier Gym could work out in the afternoon. There's a section of National Road that vears off US 40 heading east out of Knightstown.

We're so close now that the weather guys could actually know what they're talking about and the most negative thing they're saying about the weekend is "partly cloudy" and "gusty winds". Temps in the 80s and no precipitation. Yeah, Ohio's like this all the time. :D

Just a quick note from the Shaker Inn in Lebanon, OH. Have had a great two days cruising the National Road, and US' 40, 68, and 42. We're all cruising out to the Golden Lamb for dinner....wish you all were here!

I'm home. I'm guessing that the Bremers & Rowlands are, too, and that RoadDog and the Sandersons are parked at some motel for the night. The weather was so close to perfect that it was impossible not to enjoy it. I hope the Rowlands enjoyed their first cruise with forum folk as much as the rest of us enjoyed having them along.

My reporting is a bit sparse but I've got a real good alibi worked out. I'm sure that because the roads were at least slightly familiar to me, the instinctive twitch of the shutter finger was overly relaxed. Here's my (short) story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm home. I'm guessing that the Bremers & Rowlands are, too, and that RoadDog and the Sandersons are parked at some motel for the night. The weather was so close to perfect that it was impossible not to enjoy it. I hope the Rowlands enjoyed their first cruise with forum folk as much as the rest of us enjoyed having them along.

What a fun cruise! Thanks to all who put it together. Here's the AR crew on the Cincy riverfront...Bliss

http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...=si&img=487

My reporting is a bit sparse but I've got a real good alibi worked out. I'm sure that because the roads were at least slightly familiar to me, the instinctive twitch of the shutter finger was overly relaxed. Here's my (short) story and I'm sticking to it.

Looks like a good time was had by all! I honestly thought about an unannounced fly in to connect with you guys, but a family emergency ended that idea. I'll have to enjoy the cruise via Denny's and other's photos and stories. Maybe next year!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

We passed within about 800 feet of a Dayton Airport runway and would have been happy to pick you up. Of course you'd have had some chain-link to scale and probably some explaining to do to any Homeland Security people in the area.

We passed within about 800 feet of a Dayton Airport runway and would have been happy to pick you up. Of course you'd have had some chain-link to scale and probably some explaining to do to any Homeland Security people in the area.

Denny,

A few weeks back, Pat kind of tossed out a mild challenge that I show up. I thought it would be fun to appear unannounced, and I also thought might include a little trip post cruise. But Mom's ill health nullified any such ideas....and as with the cruise, it had a happy ending.

Glad the gang had a good time!

Dave

De Plane!! De Plane!!! I remember the big control tower while trying to keep up with Denny and Bliss.

Would have liked to meet you. Next time.

Da Road Dog

Looks like a good time was had by all! I honestly thought about an unannounced fly in to connect with you guys, but a family emergency ended that idea. I'll have to enjoy the cruise via Denny's and other's photos and stories. Maybe next year!

Dave

Made it home in the rain Monday night.

Nothing like a good cruise with a bunch of road folk.

Not only did I cruise the National Road behind the Bremers from Indy, and, of course then with the group Saturday to Springfield, but also Lincoln Highway from Delphos to Fort Wayne and then US-30 to the Lincoln Highway from Aurora to Geneva, Illinois.

Old roads, interesting footsteps, car races, movies, bridges, and signs. Now, that's one good extended weekend. Oh, yes, did I mention EATIN'.

Thanks Pat and Denny for setting the whole thing up.

Denny,

A few weeks back, Pat kind of tossed out a mild challenge that I show up. I thought it would be fun to appear unannounced, and I also thought might include a little trip post cruise. But Mom's ill health nullified any such ideas....and as with the cruise, it had a happy ending.

Glad the gang had a good time!

Dave

I must admit Dave, for some reason I had a feeling in my gut that you were coordinating with Denny to show up last weekend. But, I'm glad to hear mom's doing well! I think there'll be an opportunity for a lot more of us to gather in the next year or so.

AR CRUISIN'-- INDY 500

I met the Bremers Friday at morning at Charlie Brown's on Main Street of Speedway. Great place for breakfast (I highly recommend the Charlie Brown omelet). A major renewal program is planned for the downtown, unfortunately involving some traffic circles. I hate traffic circles. I think my mom was scared by one when she was carrying me.

We took a very informative ride on the Indy 500 track for $3 and then toured the museum for another $3. The drive made a feel like a race car driver. I didn't know about the strip of original brick at the start/finish line or the Pagoda. How many lights were in that pole?

Then, there were all those cars that won the race and the old cars in the museum. I'm not much of race fan, but there is a lot of history here, especially since it's the 100th anniversary of the track this year and the 100th anniversary of the race in 2011.

This was a $6 well-spent.

I hadn't planned to buy anything, but shot glasses and fridge magnets are a personal weakness, especially with this year's Indy 500 taking place on May 24th, my birthday. A bunch of stuff had the date on it. Forced to give up some dough.