American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Spring 2009 Cruise

DennyG

With freezing rain on the windows and the possibility of snow this weekend, it must be time for the third annual American Road Magazine Forum road trip discussion with hopes that it will lead to the second biennial road trip. There are unused plans for a Vandalia-Richmond trip on the shelf that could be unwrapped but an alternative idea has recently formed and been discussed -- ever so slightly -- by Pat & me. This alternative rises from a recent American Sign Museum visit, the closing of the Brickyard Crossing Inn without the too-close Bremer's ever staying there, and their Broadway Hotel walkthrough combined with the two Madonna concept of the Vandalia-Richmond proposal.

How the Sign Museum and the Madonnas fit in is obvious. The Brickyard and Broadway connection is probably a mystery. The Broadway in Madison, IN, is a hotel that I've visited and want to stay at some time but haven't yet. It reminds me of an even older hotel that I've visited and want to stay at some time but haven't yet: the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, OH. The main reason I haven't stayed at the Lamb is that it's too close to home; the same reason the Bremer's missed out on the Brickyard. I don't believe that the Golden Lamb is likely to close anytime soon but it could. (Does anyone remember the Delta Queen?)

So the basic idea is a trip on the National Road from the Madonna in Richmond, IN, to the Madonna in Springfield, OH, then down US-42 to an overnight in Lebanon, OH. We would continue south to Cincinnati and the Sign Museum the next day. Of course, as Pat pointed out, running this in the reverse direction is quite reasonable as are other variations. One negative might be pricing at the Golden Lamb. We can probably get a small discount but it would still be around $100 per room. An alternative is the nearby Shaker Inn which I've always thought looked promising and I'm sure is cheaper. However, the Golden Lamb is a one-of-a-kind place and if we stay there and at the Golden Inn in Richmond, we can call this the Golden Slumbers Cruise. :D

The target is a weekend toward the end of April. Maybe the 18th or 25th. What say ye?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the basic idea is a trip on the National Road from the Madonna in Richmond, IN, to the Madonna in Springfield, OH, then down US-42 to an overnight in Lebanon, OH. We would continue south to Cincinnati and the Sign Museum the next day. Of course, as Pat pointed out, running this in the reverse direction is quite reasonable as are other variations. One negative might be pricing at the Golden Lamb. We can probably get a small discount but it would still be around $100 per room. An alternative is the nearby Shaker Inn which I've always thought looked promising and I'm sure is cheaper. However, the Golden Lamb is a one-of-a-kind place and if we stay there and at the Golden Inn in Richmond, we can call this the Golden Slumbers Cruise. :D

The target is a weekend toward the end of April. Maybe the 18th or 25th. What say ye?

As far as I know at this time, we can make it. Slab time required from STL to Richmond is what; 5 hours? Would the cruise be slabbing from Richmond to Springfield or two laning?....Bliss

As far as I know at this time, we can make it. Slab time required from STL to Richmond is what; 5 hours? Would the cruise be slabbing from Richmond to Springfield or two laning?....Bliss

Most likely we'd cruise out US 40 from Indy to Richmond....with a couple of sections of old National Road thrown in for good measure. Perhaps anyone coming in from the west could hook up with us in caravan fashion, schedules permitting. No roadie can go through eastern Indiana on the interstate and bypass Cambridge City on US 40. It's a classic pike town if there ever was.

As people opt in and look at how their schedules & desires fit, speaking out on any preferences is definitely welcome. The first choice, of course, is date and second is probably direction. Running R-S-C assumes that we can arrange a Sign Museum tour on Sunday. With a group of 10 or so, I don't think that's a problem. If we have a much smaller group, we might be forced to go C-S-R in order to take advantage of the Saturday hours. (Chris, if we do R-S-C, you might just plan on meeting at the museum. Getting to Lebanon might be more trouble than it's worth unless you're coming over Saturday night.)

Another option involves the route from Springfield to Lebanon. If the Red Brick Inn in Lafayette is open, it might be fun to go there for lunch and pickup US-42 there. If not, or if we'd just rather, maybe lunch at Joe's US 40 Grill in Springfield then US-68 to Xenia and US-42.

Both ends have plenty of other stuff, too. In Cincinnati there's Union Terminal (recently visited by the Bremers & RoadDog) and several fun eating spots. Richmond stuff includes a good museum and the jazz walk of fame.

There aren't a lot of goodies between the two Madonnas and one of the best, Tadmoor, involves a mile+ walk that I'm guessing we won't want to spend the time (or energy) to do. But we could stop briefly in Taylorsville Park for a look at the small stone bridge. Just beyond the Springfield Madonna is the Pennsylvania House which is worth a look and maybe a tour (It's an old inn turned museum.)

Anyway, what I've thrown out is the just some basics and suggestions for rounding things out are needed. And there's certainly nothing sacred about this route. Pat & I kind of liked it but I'm sure that's partly because it was "new" but if folks prefer the Vandalia-Richmond route we discussed last year or something completely different, please speak up.

Chris, if we do R-S-C, you might just plan on meeting at the museum. Getting to Lebanon might be more trouble than it's worth unless you're coming over Saturday night.

If you can get a Sunday tour of the Sign Museum, I might be able to get my dad and family to come along, too, for the tour.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like all precincts have been heard from and we have a winner plus, just moments ago, I got an OK from the sign museum for the Sunday afternoon visit so we now have some firm plans.

On Saturday April 25, we'll drive US-40/National Road from Richmond, IN, to Springfield, OH, with lunch at Joe's 40 Grill. The afternoon drive will be south on (mostly) US-68 to Xenia then US-42 to Lebanon. The overnight will be at the Shaker Inn at the edge of town. The rates are noticeably less than the Golden Lamb ($60 vs. $100) and the motel is a very nice family run operation. On Sunday, we'll continue on down US-42 to the American Sign Museum where the "official" part of the cruise will end.

So, everyone who is "in" please identify yourselves and we'll start getting organized. Pat will be posting information about some optional stops and that should lead to a little discussion. Pre & post cruise happenings can also be talked over. For the night before, I recommend the Golden Inn just slightly east of Richmond. There's a good chance I'll head over Friday evening to avoid an early morning dash and the Bremers are thinking about that, too. There's lots of stuff in and around Cincinnati and I'd be happy to help anyone wanting to check out something around town. Links to things I've mentioned are below. I'll post something about making reservations at the Shaker Inn soon.

http://www.eatatjoes40.com/

http://www.shakerinnmotel.com/

http://www.signmuseum.net/

http://www.thegoldeninn.com/

I'm in. I'll try to get Liz to come as well.

I would also like to see Carl Fisher's grave in Indianapolis since this is Abe's 200th.

Hopefully there will not be any blue laws. Thanks again, Denny. I've already seen the sign museum. but will definitely see it again.

Thanks for setting this all up, Denny.

It looks like all precincts have been heard from and we have a winner plus, just moments ago, I got an OK from the sign museum for the Sunday afternoon visit so we now have some firm plans.

On Saturday April 25, we'll drive US-40/National Road from Richmond, IN, to Springfield, OH, with lunch at Joe's 40 Grill. The afternoon drive will be south on (mostly) US-68 to Xenia then US-42 to Lebanon. The overnight will be at the Shaker Inn at the edge of town. The rates are noticeably less than the Golden Lamb ($60 vs. $100) and the motel is a very nice family run operation. On Sunday, we'll continue on down US-42 to the American Sign Museum where the "official" part of the cruise will end.

So, everyone who is "in" please identify yourselves and we'll start getting organized. Pat will be posting information about some optional stops and that should lead to a little discussion. Pre & post cruise happenings can also be talked over. For the night before, I recommend the Golden Inn just slightly east of Richmond. There's a good chance I'll head over Friday evening to avoid an early morning dash and the Bremers are thinking about that, too. There's lots of stuff in and around Cincinnati and I'd be happy to help anyone wanting to check out something around town. Links to things I've mentioned are below. I'll post something about making reservations at the Shaker Inn soon.

Count us in. Not sure of our Friday plans as we speak but we'll be there for Saturday's cruise....Bliss

So, everyone who is "in" please identify yourselves and we'll start getting organized.

I'm "in" for the Sign Museum on Sunday April 26 and will see if I can work it out to join everyone earlier that morning. Depends on whether I can talk my dad into joining us for the sign museum.

Chris

Greetings folks...

Just wanted to add some more info. This is somewhat of the latest schedule that weekend, complete with a few more links for potential stops. Depending on attending parties, there may be a cruise along the entire eastern half of the National Road/US 40 from Indianapolis to Richmond led by your's truly on Friday the 24th for those of you coming in from the west. Friday night lodging would be at the Golden Inn Motel just across the IN/OH border on US 40 in New Paris, OH. It's a classic mom & pop and get's a big thumbs up from Denny:

Tentative plans calls for the fun to kick off Saturday morning with a few spots in Richmond, IN, one of which is one of the Madonna of the Trail statues. From Richmond, we make our way into the Buckeye State. We'll roll into Springfield and loosely planning a couple of tours at the Westcott House and the Pennsylvania House:

http://www.westcotthouse.org/home.html

http://www.pennsylvaniahousemuseum.info/

Also in Springfield, we'll be having lunch at Joe's 40 Grill:

We'll then head south out of Springfield on US 68 towards Xenia & pick up US 42, where we'll take an old stage route into Lebanon, OH for our overnight stop at the Shaker Inn Motel:

Dinner plans will be at the historic Golden Lamb Inn Saturday night:

http://www.goldenlamb.com

Following dinner we'll do what roadies do when they get together: Go somewhere and swap road stories over brew.

After breakfast Sunday morning at the Breakfast Club Cafe (http://www.breakfastclubcafe.com/), we'll continue on US 42 into Cincinnati where we'll have an early afternoon tour of the American Sign Museum:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11019355@N03/...57609877455746/ (my pics from November)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadtripmemor...57609764986114/ (Jennifer's pics from November)

Following the sign museum, it'll be up in the air depending on time. We may break up there, or find a place for lunch and then split up. This whole weekend is a loosely structured event. We're leaving a lot of things open in the event we come up on something unexpected to do.

Map of the route is here: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-FOlJyJzf6duXsWCCbRzn

I just reserved my room at the Shaker Inn and everyone who wants a place to sleep on Saturday night should do the same. Regular rates are $69 for a double and $79 for a suite. Our rates are $59 & $69. Give them my name to get the lower rate and maybe keep the rooms together. My name's never been worth $10 before and probably won't be again. Phone numbers are 800-752-6151 and 513-932-7575. Website at http://www.shakerinnmotel.com/.

Chris, did you vote yes in the poll for the weekend of the 25th? Pat & I have theorized that one of the votes was yours but the ballots are indeed sealed and we couldn't be sure. I don't need it immediately but, when you get things sorted (i.e., have your dad convinced he needs to do this;-) give me a head count so I can pass it on to the museum.

If others would like to do what Chris is doing and join up on Sunday for the Sign Museum visit, please do. We'd love your company for the whole weekend but, if that's not possible, this is a chance to get a guided tour of a very cool museum whose only regularly scheduled hours are on Saturday afternoon. Our tour is scheduled for 1:00. Similarly, if someone would like to cruise with us on Saturday then head home from from Springfield or Lebanon, you're welcome, too.

Chris, did you vote yes in the poll for the weekend of the 25th? Pat & I have theorized that one of the votes was yours but the ballots are indeed sealed and we couldn't be sure.

Denny, I talked with my dad last night, and he is interested in the sign museum. That will bring the Rowland head count up to 6: 4 adults and 2 children (aged 10 & 12) for the museum.

I am still trying to work out whether we can swing joining on Saturday afternoon. Looks like I'm not scheduled for any duties at our local church that day (have to verify this), so we may be able to hit church services near Dayton, Ohio on Saturday morning and then meet up around 1 p.m. in the vicinity of Springfield. I'll get back to you later on that.

Chris

Denny, I talked with my dad last night, and he is interested in the sign museum. That will bring the Rowland head count up to 6: 4 adults and 2 children (aged 10 & 12) for the museum.

I am still trying to work out whether we can swing joining on Saturday afternoon. Looks like I'm not scheduled for any duties at our local church that day (have to verify this), so we may be able to hit church services near Dayton, Ohio on Saturday morning and then meet up around 1 p.m. in the vicinity of Springfield. I'll get back to you later on that.

Chris

Good to hear. Comparing notes from three generations should be fun.

A Springfield hookup should be fairly easy and definitely welcomed. Three different Springfield stops have been mentioned and all three could be included. Comments on what folks want to see are needed. Pat's earlier post included links to the Pennsylvania House and the Westcott House (and I just repeated them:-). Take a look and let us know if you'd like to see both, one or the other, or neither. Also don't wait too long for motel reservations if you know you'll need them.

Good to hear. Comparing notes from three generations should be fun.

A Springfield hookup should be fairly easy and definitely welcomed. Three different Springfield stops have been mentioned and all three could be included. Comments on what folks want to see are needed. Pat's earlier post included links to the Pennsylvania House and the Westcott House (and I just repeated them:-). Take a look and let us know if you'd like to see both, one or the other, or neither. Also don't wait too long for motel reservations if you know you'll need them.

Doubtful we'd be interested in spending $17 to tour the Westcott House. The Penn House would be okay. (Just my $17 worth.)..........Bliss

Doubtful we'd be interested in spending $17 to tour the Westcott House. The Penn House would be okay. (Just my $17 worth.)..........Bliss

Time isn't unlimited either so that's also something we'll want to watch. Of those currently planning on coming, you and RoadDog are traveling the greatest distance so we want to include things that you want to see but don't want to overload either budget or schedule. Votes from the Indiana folks don't count as much since they're neighbors and welcome to spend money in Ohio any time they'd like. :D

One way streets make it impossible to drive the actual National Road route east bound through Springfield. The east bound route of the Historic National Road Byway passes the Westcott House so I suggest we drive past the house and maybe stop for a picture or two before looping back for lunch. We can drive the byway route west bound then duck over to US-40 a block or so east of Joe's or simply take 40 direct. If we take 40, we'll pass Mershon's World of Cars and can stop if desired. We can take in the Pennsylvania House, which we'll have already driven by, after lunch.

I've left a message at the number listed for the Pennsylvania House but it seems to be there for setting up group tours outside of regularly scheduled hours rather than arranging any special handling for groups during those hours. Joe's has offered to set up a table or area for us and we'll be getting the $5 group rate at the Sign Museum.

A Springfield hookup should be fairly easy and definitely welcomed... Also don't wait too long for motel reservations if you know you'll need them.

Everything is coming together. I've got reservations at the Golden Inn for Friday night and the Shaker Inn for Saturday night. Katherine and our two boys will be with me and we should be available for everything except Saturday morning. I'm going to try to get off of work a little early on Friday and try to catch up with whoever is in Richmond late that afternoon. And my mom and dad are still planning to join us for the sign museum on Sunday.

We're really looking forward to the weekend!

Chris

Everything is coming together. I've got reservations at the Golden Inn for Friday night and the Shaker Inn for Saturday night. Katherine and our two boys will be with me and we should be available for everything except Saturday morning. I'm going to try to get off of work a little early on Friday and try to catch up with whoever is in Richmond late that afternoon. And my mom and dad are still planning to join us for the sign museum on Sunday.

We're really looking forward to the weekend!

Chris

That's the way to do it. You were ahead of me on the Golden Inn but I did call today and reserve a room. ^_^ No special rates for us but they're pretty low anyway.

Pat: Looks like you might get some company for that drive to Richmond. I'll try to sneak out a little early but, even if I do, I'll be driving north while you're driving east.

Pat: Looks like you might get some company for that drive to Richmond. I'll try to sneak out a little early but, even if I do, I'll be driving north while you're driving east.

I'll verify who all's coming this way before I announce any meeting times. I know Roaddog wants to see Carl Fisher...well, at least where he's resting. There are a few other notable tombs at Crown Hill that we'll check out while we're there. If RD's not been to the speedway, I'm going to drag him there whether he likes it or not. It's a place everyone needs to see once in their life...whether they know it or not. ;)

I'm planning on taking off that whole day, so I'll be flexible on when to kick things off. Alex has been rather quiet....I reckon he needs a little nudge. Memphis isn't *that* far for a retiree.

It's the first of April, this cruise is just over three weeks away, and, as far as I know, Chris & I are the only ones with reserved sleeping spots. No panic but I figured that the start of the month was a good time for a reminder. I'd hate to have to sneak coffee out of my room to someone sleeping in their car. :D