American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Key Lime - Just In Time

DennyG

This posting is to set the record straight and to marvel at coincidence. At about a week into December, I settled on a route for my Christmas vacation. On the morning of the ninth, I posted a "prelude" section on my website and an entry to the RSS feed. The trip will be mostly in Florida and mostly on the Dixie Highway. A side excursion will follow the Overseas Highway to Key West. That's US-1 and thus the posting here.

As a contributor to American Road, I do have access to some scheduling information. I don't see the "real" stuff that drives Thomas and Becky's days but I can see how fast my next deadline is approaching and peek at the preliminary topics for future issues. I got a sense of just how preliminary those topics can be when I received the winter newsletter less than four hours after posting my trip plans. There was nothing about Florida or the Overseas Highway in the calendar yet that had to be the Seven Mile Bridge on the cover pictured in the newsletter. It was indeed and the article it heralded, "The Key Lime Limited", is going to be mighty handy on next week's drive.

But, before the rumors start, I want it known that I had picked my path before I ever saw that cover and, as far as I know, Thomas did not completely re-layout the winter issue in four hours to tie in with my travel plans. :closedeyes:

Denny and all,

I truly look forward to your trip, as well as the next issue of the magazine as Peg and I will be traveling to Key West, I believe in March, with the Lifetouch Alumni Club (my former employer). We plan to pick an airport other than Miami for our long weekend, then drive to Key West for the meeting and adventure, then road trip it back to the selected airport. I remember a romantic dinner at the Sundowners Restaurant in Key Largo last time we went to the Keys, and I do remember a wonderful lunch (during a power outage) at the Hog's Breath Cafe, plus wonderful tours of the Mel Fisher and the Flagler Musuems on our day trip to Key West from a business meeting in Key West. A day trip was not enough, but now I will have lots of new suggestions as well.

Denny and all,

I truly look forward to your trip, as well as the next issue of the magazine as Peg and I will be traveling to Key West, I believe in March, with the Lifetouch Alumni Club (my former employer). We plan to pick an airport other than Miami for our long weekend, then drive to Key West for the meeting and adventure, then road trip it back to the selected airport. I remember a romantic dinner at the Sundowners Restaurant in Key Largo last time we went to the Keys, and I do remember a wonderful lunch (during a power outage) at the Hog's Breath Cafe, plus wonderful tours of the Mel Fisher and the Flagler Musuems on our day trip to Key West from a business meeting in Key West. A day trip was not enough, but now I will have lots of new suggestions as well.

I wish you guys would stop talking about Florida and Key West. We have so much snow we have not been able to get out of the driveway, even with chains, since Friday, and by the looks of it, we could be snowbound until Wednesady or even Christmas....grumble, grumble, grumble. :angry::D

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I wish you guys would stop talking about Florida and Key West. We have so much snow we have not been able to get out of the driveway, even with chains, since Friday, and by the looks of it, we could be snowbound until Wednesady or even Christmas....grumble, grumble, grumble. :angry::D

Dave

Dave, tho it is in the 30's here in Mempis, there isn't any snow on the ground - I don't have any trouble getting out of my driveway.

Yeah, I really miss New England and winter - like maybe a root canal????????

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

(Sunny) Memphis, TN

I wish you guys would stop talking about Florida and Key West.
There's very little snow in Cincinnati but it's an honest 7 degrees F with enough breeze to produce a -20 wind chill. I'll need those images as inspiration tomorrow as I battle relentless crosswinds over the ice choked Straits of Cincinnati. :)

• 2 weeks later...
You know, Dave, you could change the climatic situation when you do get out of your driveway. Southern CA and Arizona are also warm this time of year. Just point the car south....;-)

Matt, et al...

With Denny's great trip to Florida and the lead story in American Road devoted to that area, you are right, I should go south...... do the Hypotenuse in reverse. Actually, I looked at auto rental deals and Hertz had a one way rental to Florida at an amazingly low price so they could move some vehicles that way.

Alas, two family members who have fallen on hard times have temporarily (I hope) sucked my wallet dry this winter, so I am left to toy with my maps and try to figure how to travel cheaply.

I looked at tents at Cabella's and maybe the next trip will be a camping adventure. I’m not up to Beamerchef’s marvelous adventures, but maybe I could do a wimp’s version.

Or maybe I can wait for my tax refund and fly to Florida, then drive around, maybe in Denny’s tire tracks, or following the American Road story.

Anyway, the driveway is clear. The world awaits!

Dave

Matt, et al...

I looked at tents at Cabella's and maybe the next trip will be a camping adventure. I'm not up to Beamerchef's marvelous adventures, but maybe I could do a wimp's version.

Dave

You can always camp in my back yard - it's something like 50-60 feet wide and 125 feet deep!! Plenty of room - you just got to get used to the street light in the middle of the neighbors back yard.

And maybe the moles tunneling down below.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

You can always camp in my back yard - it's something like 50-60 feet wide and 125 feet deep!! Plenty of room - you just got to get used to the street light in the middle of the neighbors back yard.

And maybe the moles tunneling down below.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Thanks! Moles don't worry me. The ones we have in our yard are so big they fight with the deer over fallen apples! The deer avoid their mounds for fear they wil be grabbed by a hoof and pulled in.

I haven't quite decided that I am the tent type anymore, but I have been looking at the possibility. They even have shower tents, with hot water heaters that are fueled by propane canisters like I use with the Bar B. I look at my 1960's camping movies and compare sleeping on the ground and squating in the woods with the prospect of having a warm shower and private bathroom, and wonder where the "hardship" has gone. If I equipped the van with a bed, and popped up a fully functioning bathroom just outside, I could be as well served as in most motels...at least where temperatures are reasonable. For under $500 I could create a TV (Tenting Vehicle) that goes anywhere, and gets good mileage.

Just musing....but who knows!

Dave