American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Merritt Parhway Turns 70

RoadDog

Came across an article about this short road in Stratford, Connecticut that was designed by George L. Dunkelberger and Weld Thayer Chase who made it not only utilitarian, but a place folks would want to pull off for a picnic and admire the views.

It was once toll, but now free. I didn't know toll roads ceased to be toll roads. Certainly not around here in Chicago.

The Merritt Parkway is actually a very nice drive. I would take it all the time to go into New York City. I used to live in Connecticut, so many weekends I'd make the 1-1/2 drive down to Manhattan. But when there's commuter traffic, it can be a nightmare!!

It was once toll, but now free. I didn't know toll roads ceased to be toll roads. Certainly not around here in Chicago.

Connecticut abolished all of the toll plazas in the state due to several accidents on the CT turnpike...

I've driven the Merritt many times going back to the 1950's. Indeed it is (was) a pleasant drive. As has been said driving during commuter hours in the morning going into New York is murder.

Another very pleasant drive is the Taconic State Parkway between I-90 and I-84. Much of the traffic that used to use that one is now over in I-87 so it's a quiet, pleasant way to spend 50 miles.

Many times coming out of (or going back to) New England I've used the Taconic - it beats the hell out of that mess in CT they call the Hartford-Danbury corridor. Even if you use 91 between Hartford and Meridian and then 691 to Waterbury. It's still a nightmare between Waterbury and Danbury. Reason it goes thru so many cities is political. Business screamed, when 84 was built, that they'd loose all their business. Now they can sit in front of their stores and watch all their business go by on the interstate that runs thru the middle of town.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and safe travels in the new year. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

I've driven the Merritt many times going back to the 1950's. Indeed it is (was) a pleasant drive. As has been said driving during commuter hours in the morning going into New York is murder.

Another very pleasant drive is the Taconic State Parkway between I-90 and I-84. Much of the traffic that used to use that one is now over in I-87 so it's a quiet, pleasant way to spend 50 miles.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and safe travels in the new year. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

There is a ghost grade for an unbuilt northward extension of the Taconic at I-90, too. I'm not sure of where it was ultimately intended to go. It would be interesting indeed if those plans could ever be revived.

Mike

I love all those bridge overpasses on the Merritt, and have also used the Taconic a number of times. Those are about the only major highways I can tolerate in that area, but if time is important and I can't stick to two lanes through the smaller towns, then I will often be on one or the other of these when heading to New England.

There is a ghost grade for an unbuilt northward extension of the Taconic at I-90, too. I'm not sure of where it was ultimately intended to go. It would be interesting indeed if those plans could ever be revived.

Mike

In the 1950's it was planned to extend the Taconic State Parkway as far north as US 20 in West Lebanon, Rensselaer County. There was some talk of eventually extending as far north as Buskirk (at the intersection of NY 67 and NY 22), on the Rensselaer-Washington county border and still earlier there were plans to extend as far north as the Canadian border. As usual the gremlin that stopped this ambitious project was lack of funds.

Perhaps it's a blessing it didn't happen. I'm sure that the extension, if it had been built after the 1950's, would have turned out to be just like the interstates today - far, far from the wonderful experience one can enjoy on the existing road today.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Check out this web site, where the material above was taken from: http://www.nycroads.com/roads/taconic/

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec