American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Brickyard Crossing Inn/indianapolis Motor Speedway Motel Done

roadmaven

It was announced today by Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Joie Chitwood that the Brickyard Crossing Inn is closed effective immediately and will be torn down in a matter of months. It's been speculated for some time that this would eventually happen, but not with this short of notice. Actually, this decision must've been kept from even those who run the motel, as a group of Corvair enthusiasts from all over the country had set aside a block of rooms at the Brickyard just a couple of weeks ago for an event here in March.

It's a sad day, as this classic, 1960's era motel once housed The Beatles in 1964 and several portions from the 1969 film "Winning" with Paul Newman were filmed there. We had said recently that we were going to stay there (even though it's less than a mile from our house) before they knock it down. Too late. However, Bliss and Denny both stayed there in 2007 during our Cool Roads Cruise, so we'll all live through their tales of slumber. The full article can be read here. The cool sign in the first pic below was replaced sometime in the early 1990's. The 2nd pic is one I took last year.

RIP, Brickyard! 1963-2008:

indi_speedway.jpg

gallery_4_8_5933.jpg

It was announced today by Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Joie Chitwood that the Brickyard Crossing Inn is closed effective immediately and will be torn down in a matter of months.

Bliss and Denny both stayed there in 2007 during our Cool Roads Cruise, so we'll all live through their tales of slumber. The full article can be read here. The cool sign in the first pic below was replaced sometime in the early 1990's. The 2nd pic is one I took last year.

RIP, Brickyard! 1963-2008:

indi_speedway.jpg

gallery_4_8_5933.jpg

How sad! Seems as if every place we like gets torn down. Here's a shot of the motel just under turn 2 of the Indy speedway that was taken on the Cool Roads Cruise......Bliss

http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...=si&img=450

What always amazes me is that there isn't enough money to renovate but there's always bucks to build new - and in the long run renovate is probably cheaper than replacing.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I'm going to run against the grain on this one, but I've always thought this motel didn't suit the Speedway property. Bear in mind that I didn't move to Indy until 1994 and that's the timeframe in which my impressions start. But this motel always looked, to me, to be a couple levels below what Speedway seems to be going after. My guess is that they'll build a more modern hotel on the site, one that fits their plan better. jim

What always amazes me is that there isn't enough money to renovate but there's always bucks to build new - and in the long run renovate is probably cheaper than replacing.

The Town of Speedway is going through a nearly complete redevelopment of its commercial districts. A big part of that is the area surrounding the speedway. The rumor that's been going on around here is there'll be a new hotel and conference center, and I expect it'll be many times larger than the 96 rooms they currently provide. With the speedway touting its 3 year Centennial Celebration (you read that right) beginning in 2009, it surprises me they'd close it down at this time. The only thing I can guess is they've already got the blueprints and will be breaking ground before long. Since this came out of left field, it wouldn't surprise me if something's announced in the next few months on a new hotel. Still, it'd be nice to have kept this one and built a bigger place as well.

Maybe, with a Beatles reunion out of the question and Bliss & I staying there last year, they felt there was nothing left for them to shoot for :D

It isn't a classic like the Munger Moss or Wigwam Villages but it is a shame to see it go because it was a nice, reasonably priced, and convenient motel with some history. The replacement will probably be even nicer and just as convenient but it won't have the history and I'd bet against it being reasonably priced.

• 2 months later...

And the demolition has begun. Going, going....

Funny, but the guy standing on the second floor is right in front of the Paul Newman/Robert Wagner/Joanne Woodward Room 212. I tried like heck to get in that room to do some then & now shots using movie stills from "Winning". I went so far as to send a plea (and a free copy of American Road) to IMS president Joie Chitwood last month, but to no avail. I got a reply from their PR department saying "Sorry Charlie". At least I can't say I didn't try. And maybe we got a new subscriber out of it. :lol:

And the demolition has begun. Going, going....

Funny, but the guy standing on the second floor is right in front of the Paul Newman/Robert Wagner/Joanne Woodward Room 212. I tried like heck to get in that room to do some then & now shots using movie stills from "Winning". I went so far as to send a plea (and a free copy of American Road) to IMS president Joie Chitwood last month, but to no avail. I got a reply from their PR department saying "Sorry Charlie". At least I can't say I didn't try. And maybe we got a new subscriber out of it. :lol:

I think that big pile of trash is about in front of the room I stayed in. I hope their starting there is just a coincidence and nothing personal. <_<

Even if that new subscription doesn't materialize, something good came out of your post. Well, at least I think it's good. I finally got around to looking up the answer to a question I've had from time to time and learned the the Speedway Prez is the grandson of daredevil Joie Chitwood who appeared at many midwest fairgrounds when I was a kid. I knew it could't be the same guy but never knew just what the relationship was.

I think that big pile of trash is about in front of the room I stayed in. I hope their starting there is just a coincidence and nothing personal. <_<

Even if that new subscription doesn't materialize, something good came out of your post. Well, at least I think it's good. I finally got around to looking up the answer to a question I've had from time to time and learned the the Speedway Prez is the grandson of daredevil Joie Chitwood who appeared at many midwest fairgrounds when I was a kid. I knew it could't be the same guy but never knew just what the relationship was.

Yep, the same Chitwood tree. I did my own research on him too and found out he went to college in South Florida. I thought with the new AR having the article on the Key Lime route, getting into Room 212 would be money in the bank! Good video of him

on YouTube discussing his and his family's involvement with the Thrill Show. He was recognized as one of the "Forty under 40" by the Indianapolis Business Journal a couple of years ago, honoring younger executives around the state. I heard him speak at a Speedway redevelopment meeting a couple of years ago...seems like a likable guy, but has apparently caught on quite well to IMS' habit of saying NO to some things that don't beneifit them. Oops, was that a shot? ;)

I remember Joey Chitwood's show coming thru New England back in the, what, 1950's. He must have performed somewhere in Maine because I (vaguely) remember seeing posters for the "Joey Chitwood Auto Thrill Show" - or some such back then.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I remember Joey Chitwood's show coming thru New England back in the, what, 1950's. He must have performed somewhere in Maine because I (vaguely) remember seeing posters for the "Joey Chitwood Auto Thrill Show" - or some such back then.

I watched his show in the fifties at the Western Illinois Fair held in Griggsville, IL. As I recall, the show was using Fords at the time......probably because if one was damaged beyond repair it was no big loss to the automobile world.....Bliss, still a Chevy guy

I watched his show in the fifties at the Western Illinois Fair held in Griggsville, IL. As I recall, the show was using Fords at the time......probably because if one was damaged beyond repair it was no big loss to the automobile world.....Bliss, still a Chevy guy

Chitwood once drove a Chevette for a record 5.6 miles on two wheels. I'm a Chevy guy too, but I've also driven Chevettes and gotta wonder if that stunt was entirely voluntary. :D