American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

In Search An American Diner

Dominic

Hello

I am in search of a Diner to relocate, restore and operate in Michigan.

I would prefer an O'Mahony from the late 30's but I am open to any stainless

style diner. If any one knows of any abondon? for sale? or to be demolished diners

I would greatly appreciate any information. As I am in Michigan I would

prefer to locate one in the mid west.

The photo attached is a beautiful example of one restored in Utah.

Any one that helps me find a diner get's a free meal a day for a year after we open..... :D

Your welcome to call me at (586) 855-0139

Thanks

Dominic Bertolini

post-5132-1227892674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dominic

Diversified Diners is a company in northern Ohio that restores and moves diners. Their website ( http://www.oh-diners.com/divers/ ) has a "diners for sale" section that currently has a 1937 O'Mahony listed. There used to be a fellow named Al Sloan in Apena, MI, who dealt in diners but I wasn't able to turn up any contact information on him. However, while I was searching for Al, I stumbled across a 1955 O'Mahony in Birch Run, MI, that closed last year. It's about half way down this web page: http://www.agilitynut.com/diners/mi.html

I applaud your mission and sure hope you find something. The world is a long way from having too many diners.

Hi Dominic, and :welcome:

I know of one you can have. It's the former Grubb's Diner in Huntingdon, PA. Forum moderator Jennifer did an article on it for the Diner Days segment of American Road magazine about 3 years ago. The owner, Jerry Grubb, closed it so a drugstore could be built on the land. He did save the diner and hauled it to one of his properties in Huntingdon. I found the full details on the Diner Hotline web site. I'm not up on my diner manufacturers, so I can't tell you what kind it is other than it's stainless steel. Contact info to Jerry is in the article.

Pat

Thank you for the info about Jerry's Diner I called him and left him a message.

Jason

I am planing on putting the Diner south of Fenton MI off Old US23.

Thanks again everyone

Dominic

Hi Dominic,

Welcome to the forum! Being from Michigan, whereabouts are you thinking about locating said diner? We are very interested in hearing more.

Jason

Jason

Thats great!!!

I am looking at a spot about 1 mile south of White Lake Road on the west side

Thanks again

Dominic,

Along 23 should be a good spot, I drive it everyday on my way to work. Are you looking at Center Rd., White Lake or closer to town like Owen? Please keep us posted, I'd like to hear more as it progresses for you.

Jason

Pat

Thank you for the info about Jerry's Diner I called him and left him a message.

Dominic,

Here's a shot we took in '06:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/236/5190869...d0fc597.jpg?v=0

I happened to be coming back from Connecticut in '07 and went through Huntingdon to see what the status of Grubb's was, since we heard it might close. Just so happens, they were loading up the sign the day I arrived, and the diner itself had been detached from it's block building portion and was in two pieces next to Jerry's motel. My post from that day can be found here. Scroll down to my

July 30, 2007 post in this thread.