American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

It's Here! The U.s. 80 Drive Guide Across The American Southwest!

HI all: Jeff Jensen from Tucson here. I've dropped off the boards for a couple of years because I was working on this:

The Broadway of America: the Bankhead and U.S. 80 Highways across the American Southwest The drive guide is here!

Folks, I've done the research, I've done the roadwork, I've taken the pictures and I've drawn the maps. All you have to do now is come along for the ride! I've uploaded a sample to the web. I invite you to visit and take a peek at my website here:

http://bygonebyways.com/the_boa_thru_the_sw.htm

or at my main bygonebyways.com website.

I really believe that this will become a MUST have for any serious roadie and I'm really excited to be able to share this with you. As the owner of literally dozens of guides, I've taken what I feel are the best ideas and combined them into one guide for old Highway 80. Some of these ideas include:

>easily accessible 'tours' which are not defined by a set number of miles etc or county lines, but logical entry and exit points onto other major roads.

> color coded 'factoid' boxes that accompany the text but don't intrude into the text. You won't get bogged down in too many details...unless you want to.

>description of roadside attractions and nearby sightseeing tours.

>literally hundreds of my own color photos, antique postcards, vintage advertisements, etc. You'll feel like you've been there!

>written in an east to west manner, there is also a west to east segment.

>and most importantly, in the back, a 'just the facts, ma'am' map section. No distracting narrative, just extremely detailed maps which utilize a consistent color-coded system that allows one to see at a glance the evolution of the old auto trails and Highway 80 through any given area.

>within each map, numbers identify specific points or items of interest such as bypassed alignments, abandoned bridges, roadside attractions, etc. You won't miss a thing!

I look forward from hearing from all of you and receiving feedback on my efforts.

Cheers,

Jeff in Tucson

From a very brief visit, it looks good. I'll get back to look at the samples more closely when time permits. Meanwhile, I have edited your posts so that the bygonebyways.com references are clickable links. The first green plus in the toolbar under "Fonts" will do that.

Thanks Denny! I'll be sending American Road the two copies for review. And in the meantime, if you or any of your acquaintances have any leads on publishers that specialize in small niche runs like this, I sure would appreciate any direction you might give. The book would be 223 pages, full-color and I want it coil bound so the map pages saty open.

This has been quite the journey! :)

Jeff in Tucson