American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Bridgeton Bridge Rising From The Ashes.

roadmaven

As some of you may recall, in April of 2005, the 137 year old covered bridge in Bridgeton, IN was set ablaze by an arsonist, destroying the 245 foot bridge. The Bridgeton was likely the most popular of the 30-plus covered bridges that dot the Parke County, Indiana landscape. Every October, the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival attracts 2 million visitors to the 10 day event. Efforts began within days to rebuild it: Bridgeton Bridge Replacement Fund.

I'm happy to report that as of early August, the rebuilding process has begun and the goal is to have the new Bridgeton Bridge assembled in time for the 50th festival in October. Pre fire, post fire, and rebuilding pictures can be found at the Parke County Covered Bridge Web Site. The new bridge will be designed like the original, however it will be equipped with a sprinkler system and several fire retardant timbers.

If you've never been to the festival, I highly recommend it. There's enough scenery and good food to keep you full for weeks!

After thinking about it for a few years, I finally made it to the Parke County festival last year and really enjoyed it. Sadly, I never saw the original Bridgeton Bridge. Those pictures at the Parke County site show that the rebuilding is well under way as I guess it would have to be if it's to be completed by this year's festival. I've never seen a covered bridge being built and know that I'd really enjoy getting to Bridgeton during construction. I don't know if I can pull it off but I'll give it some thought. Just in case, I checked to make sure I still have the "Building A Bridge" pin that I bought in Bridgeton last fall.

As some of you may recall, in April of 2005, the 137 year old covered bridge in Bridgeton, IN was set ablaze by an arsonist, destroying the 245 foot bridge. The Bridgeton was likely the most popular of the 30-plus covered bridges that dot the Parke County, Indiana landscape.

Three years ago, we drove around Parke County and I took some nice photos of the bridges, including Bridgeton: Parke County Covered Bridges

Just to update, the two spans have now been put in place. Pics from The Indianapolis Star can be found here.

Looks like they're well on their way to completing it before October's Covered Bridge Festival

Sorry I missed the span setting. That looks pretty interesting.

I'm seriously thinking of taking US-36 home from the Springfield Route 66 Festival in September. That would give me a chance to get a peek at the bridge before it's completely finished. Hey, that's right on a potential Bremer-Springfield route. Wanna play bridge?

Just to update, the two spans have now been put in place. Pics from The Indianapolis Star can be found here.

Looks like they're well on their way to completing it before October's Covered Bridge Festival

Since there's a chance we might be attending Springfield, I reckon a bridge meeting is very possible!

• 1 month later...

Great news....The Bridgeton Bridge was dedicated October 1st! With two weeks until the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival, the citizens of Parke County and everyone who contributed should be commended. Bravo!

Story Here