American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Good Ford Story

RoadDog

Mu uncle sent this to me. I'd never heard the story before.

Henry Ford was traveling in Mississippi in 1930 in a new Model A Touring car when he got stuck in the mud. He and his driver attempted to get the car out, but to no avail.

Finally, a 14-year-old boy by and said to Mr. Ford (whom he didn't know), "I kin go get my daddy to bring a team of mules to pull you out; but Mister, if you'a had a 'Tin Lizzie' you wouldn't be stuck no how!"

Mr. Ford knew this very well as the Model T had much higher ground clearance and larger tires.

The boy's father arrived and pulled the hapless automaker out, but wouldn't accept payment saying he was just doing what anyone else in Mississippi would do.

Ford got his name and address and had his factory in Detroit build the father a special touring car with all the available accessories and sent it to him.

Great story. I wonder how we could use it for the proposed automaker bailout?

Mu uncle sent this to me. I'd never heard the story before.

Henry Ford was traveling in Mississippi in 1930 in a new Model A Touring car when he got stuck in the mud. He and his driver attempted to get the car out, but to no avail.

Finally, a 14-year-old boy by and said to Mr. Ford (whom he didn't know), "I kin go get my daddy to bring a team of mules to pull you out; but Mister, if you'a had a 'Tin Lizzie' you wouldn't be stuck no how!"

Mr. Ford knew this very well as the Model T had much higher ground clearance and larger tires.

The boy's father arrived and pulled the hapless automaker out, but wouldn't accept payment saying he was just doing what anyone else in Mississippi would do.

Ford got his name and address and had his factory in Detroit build the father a special touring car with all the available accessories and sent it to him.

Great story. I wonder how we could use it for the proposed automaker bailout?

I don't know. The govm't bailed out Lockheed-Martin, as I recall - I'm still waiting for my private airplane; govm't bailed out Chysler a while back - I'm still waiting for my new car; govm't bailed out the savings and loan companies back when - I still havn't seen any extra cash in my bank account; govm't gave AIG millions - and the company big wigs went out and threw a big party (twice), but I didn't get an invite.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN