American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lincoln Highway Driving Maps Cd

DennyG

I've long been curious about the Lincoln Highway Driving Maps CD but have found no reviews of it and the entire description on the LHA site is a single sentence. I can now quantify that curiosity. The 2009 edition of the CD sells for $39.95 but last year's model can be had (while supplies last) for half that. Apparently I had $20 worth of curiosity but not $40 worth.

There are two files on the CD. Both have a very detailed and zoomable drawing of the highway. One also has lots of "balloons" identifying points of interest. For those familiar with DeLorme, the road is a "draw object". It is actually multiple "draw object" since multiple alignments are included. It is not a "route" that can provide directions or be "driven" with a GPS.

I couldn't describe exactly what I was expecting but this is probably about it. The files are less than 1.5 MB each and there is an awful lot of information packed into those three megs. A human navigator could certainly follow the map and it could easily be used as a template for creating specific routes for a GPS. A few spot checks of the routing match with what I know and the folks who did this definitely know a lot more than I do. I trust that the route is generally correct. Spot checks of the points of interest show them to be good but not perfect. The Lincoln Motor Court is there; Dunkle's gas station isn't. Mr Ed's Elephant Museum is there; the Poquessing Creek bridge isn't. But there are definitely lots of them and you can, of course, add your own. Perfection probably is impossible.

Since I usually do my route planning with DeLorme, I can already see myself plotting LH trips using the overlay. My curiosity is satisfied and I'm also satisfied that I got a product worthy of my $20. Would I feel the same if the close out bin had been empty and I'd parted with $40 for the 2009 edition? Probably.

I've long been curious about the Lincoln Highway Driving Maps CD but have found no reviews of it and the entire description on the LHA site is a single sentence. I can now quantify that curiosity. The 2009 edition of the CD sells for $39.95 but last year's model can be had (while supplies last) for half that. Apparently I had $20 worth of curiosity but not $40 worth.

There are two files on the CD. Both have a very detailed and zoomable drawing of the highway. One also has lots of "balloons" identifying points of interest. For those familiar with DeLorme, the road is a "draw object". It is actually multiple "draw object" since multiple alignments are included. It is not a "route" that can provide directions or be "driven" with a GPS.

I couldn't describe exactly what I was expecting but this is probably about it. The files are less than 1.5 MB each and there is an awful lot of information packed into those three megs. A human navigator could certainly follow the map and it could easily be used as a template for creating specific routes for a GPS. A few spot checks of the routing match with what I know and the folks who did this definitely know a lot more than I do. I trust that the route is generally correct. Spot checks of the points of interest show them to be good but not perfect. The Lincoln Motor Court is there; Dunkle's gas station isn't. Mr Ed's Elephant Museum is there; the Poquessing Creek bridge isn't. But there are definitely lots of them and you can, of course, add your own. Perfection probably is impossible.

Since I usually do my route planning with DeLorme, I can already see myself plotting LH trips using the overlay. My curiosity is satisfied and I'm also satisfied that I got a product worthy of my $20. Would I feel the same if the close out bin had been empty and I'd parted with $40 for the 2009 edition? Probably.

Denny,

I appreciate you taking your time, and spending your money…….er, thanks for the report on the Lincoln Highway CD! :)

It sounds like what I would also expect, but perhaps short a few things. It should have been the case that the CD had the tracks or routes, and perhaps later editions will

Could one use the “Create Route From Line” in Delorme to create routes useful on a GPS? As you know, if you do that you get a “direct” route, and if you then chose “quickest” or “shortest” under Route and “calculate,” the route will conform to the road.

In my case, I can then upload the route or track and my GPS will follow it.

(Incidentally, I’m using Delorme’s TOPO USA 7.0, but I’m 98% confident that Street Atlas USA has the same functions.)

We should probably continue to discuss some mapping efforts. I did some further research which might be useful if anyone gets the bug to create auto trail tracks. I haven’t posted the results, but will if someone wants it.

Thanks again for spending your greenbacks!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I fear that 98% is not enough. I'm not familiar with a “Create Route From Line” function in Street Atlas and am unable to find one. DeLorme help files don't and the little turned up by a web search mentions either Topo or nothing. There is also the implication that it is a method of converting a log (to a line) to a route. Anyone how or if Street Atlas supports this?

I fear that 98% is not enough. I'm not familiar with a “Create Route From Line” function in Street Atlas and am unable to find one. DeLorme help files don't and the little turned up by a web search mentions either Topo or nothing. There is also the implication that it is a method of converting a log (to a line) to a route. Anyone how or if Street Atlas supports this?

Well, you know the 2% construct…if there is a 2% chance I will be wrong on any assumption, I will be wrong! Too bad too, because “Create Route from Line” is a nice little tool for roughing out a route using line segments, then making tracks or routes for export to other uses.

Shucks and sorry for raising false hopes…and now you have spent your map money for this year, so you can’t buy TOPO. I do wonder why Delorme left the “Create Route from Line” out of Street Atlas. For some reason I falsely recalled (98%) that they had it in old versions.

Dave

I recall a "route to line" capability that disappeared from SA on some past revision. I was upset at the time but have adjusted to life without it. Maybe the "line to route" was there and vanished at the same time. I've posted a question in the DeLorme forum in case it's there and I just can't find it.

I, too, thought it was short a few things but didn't want to sound too negative. I had assumed that the product had been created by plotting the route with DeLorme. Now I think it may have come from actually driving it and using the GPS track. The various lines can be exported as a track and a track can be converted to a route but it ain't all that easy by any method I know. It seems like a thing that should be easy so it's likely that I just don't know the right methods.

I got a response at the DeLorme forum almost immediately but only now have time to relay it. It was not from a DeLorme employee but was from a very knowledgeable and active user with both SA2009 and Topo 7 available. The answer essentially confirmed that Topo has the function. SA does not.

He had this comment about the Topo 7 route:

...but it is a point to point route. The one thing it does do is create a STOP at every bend in the line I drew.
I've never seen Topo but that comment, plus one about "the roads are in Street Atlas", make me wonder if Topo produces only straight line "hiking" routes or how/if roads apply?

Psssst... While in the DeLorme forum I got wind of a recent acquisition by a certain Hoosier geocacher. Perhaps new insight is just around the bend.

• 2 weeks later...

Riding historic Lincoln Highway is on my 2009 list as sequel to 2007 Route 66 and 2008 Dixie Highway.

As I am riding these old icons solo on an old motorcycle and do not intend to use GPS: does the CD offer the possibility to print LH stretch by stretch so as to serve as a paper map more or less comparable to EZ66 for Route 66?

I'd like to take the original sections as much as possible. So, I am currently looking for information that tells me how much of the original is left and where it is. In a sense reconstruct one of the earlier maps on todays road numbers and/or street names.

Any information and suggestions will be highly appreciated!!

Harold

I got a response at the DeLorme forum almost immediately but only now have time to relay it. It was not from a DeLorme employee but was from a very knowledgeable and active user with both SA2009 and Topo 7 available. The answer essentially confirmed that Topo has the function. SA does not.

He had this comment about the Topo 7 route:I've never seen Topo but that comment, plus one about "the roads are in Street Atlas", make me wonder if Topo produces only straight line "hiking" routes or how/if roads apply?

Psssst... While in the DeLorme forum I got wind of a recent acquisition by a certain Hoosier geocacher. Perhaps new insight is just around the bend.

Denny,

What your advisor didn't know or say is that once having the point to point, you just go to route and click quickest or shortest, and the point to point becomes a route. For whatever that info is worth!

Dave

Riding historic Lincoln Highway is on my 2009 list as sequel to 2007 Route 66 and 2008 Dixie Highway.

As I am riding these old icons solo on an old motorcycle and do not intend to use GPS: does the CD offer the possibility to print LH stretch by stretch so as to serve as a paper map more or less comparable to EZ66 for Route 66?

I'd like to take the original sections as much as possible. So, I am currently looking for information that tells me how much of the original is left and where it is. In a sense reconstruct one of the earlier maps on todays road numbers and/or street names.

Harold

Harold,

I guess I should buy the LH CD, but if it is in Delorme format it can be printed out (using Delorme) as strip maps at virtually any level of detail you want.

Yoiu might also consider buying Gregory Franzwa's books (eg The Lincoln Highway - Nevada) on each state if you want truly detailed paper maps.

Dave

Harold

Harold,

You indicate you do not intend to use GPS. I’m not sure your reasons, but my I respectfully urge you to reconsider, for at least two significant reasons.

First, it will give you more time to enjoy your ride and less time following the wrong road. And it will also give you the means to automatically and accurately identify where each of your photos was taken.

You no doubt know the first reason and have considered it. But if you use a digital camera and have a suitable GPS, you can automatically store in each photo the exact location where it was taken. That will be invaluable 10 years from now, (and maybe sooner) when you have forgotten the actual locations.

And it gives you the means to display your photos on a web based map, by location. That provides a great means to allow friends to follow the Lincoln on the computer, and know where they are, using your photos.

Just some free advice, worth every cent you paid for it!

Dave

Denny,

What your advisor didn't know or say is that once having the point to point, you just go to route and click quickest or shortest, and the point to point becomes a route. For whatever that info is worth!

Dave

I thought that might be the case. It sounds like you might believe Topo a better product for "our" needs than Street Atlas. I guess I'll have to do a more in depth comparison when update time comes around.

Harold

Dave's comment that the maps could be printed at any detail desired is essentially true although, since the path is a transparent colored line and not a route (by DeLorme's definition) the printouts would not be strip maps by DeLorme's definition.

To my knowledge, nothing exists for the LH that is at all comparable to EZ66. EZ66 is a blend of easily distinguished turn-by-turn instructions, maps, and guide book. The closest I know of is Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" which does include maps and directions but the directions are not the read-at-a-glance turn-by-turn EZ66 type. Reading it might be a worthwhile pre-trip activity, however. Turn-by-turn directions are available here for the western Pennsylvania section that comprises the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor and here for the state of Ohio. Those for Ohio can be printed from the web for free or a hardcopy can be purchased. There may be similar guides available for other sections but I'm not aware of any.

I received Topo 7 with my new DeLorme PN-40 and as far as its routing capability, it can do road routes or direct routes. For "street routing" functionality, I have seen very little difference between Topo 7 and Street Atlas, but then, I'm hardly a power user!

I received Topo 7 with my new DeLorme PN-40 and as far as its routing capability, it can do road routes or direct routes. For "street routing" functionality, I have seen very little difference between Topo 7 and Street Atlas, but then, I'm hardly a power user!

I agree.

I have used the Delorme Street Atlas and TOPO series for at least 10 years, and the PN-20 (the PN-40 predecessor) since April. I have also used MS Streets and Trips and of course Virtual Earth and Google Earth. As might be expected, each has its strengths and weaknesses, but I have seldom been disappointed with the Delorme products, and certainly not with the PN-20 or TOPO 7.0.

I noted the PN-40 announcement with interest, and wondered what it adds to the PN-20. I know it has a faster processor, and I have the impression that you can load all the highly detailed US TOPO maps into memory, rather than use SD chips for regions.

Did they provide a way to power it externally, as through the cigar lighter? Using batteries only was problematic when it was on all day, as on a road trip. And I found the screen hard to see inside a car with limited external light hitting the screen.

In any event, the PN-20 was wonderful in both allowing me to create a route to be followed, and later in providing track files I could automatically match to my photos, and automatically add coordinates in a batch process to hundreds of photos at a time. There should never be a time in the future when I ask when and where I took that photo.

Looking forward to your use reports, and happy to exchange experiences if they help.

Dave